BC Boards

Do you hug your dog?

I came across this last night, it made me think about stories I have heard about a loving family dog that up and bit a child for no reason, "all the child did was give him/her a hug" Just wondering what you all have to say about it.

http://www.mnn.com/family/pets/stories/why-dogs-dont-like-to-be-hugged

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hug my dogs that like close physical contact, not the ones that don't. One I don't hug often, one actively solicits hugs.

I wouldn't dream of taking liberties with someone else's dog.

I am well aware that dogs don't look upon hugs the same way we do but their responses

runs the whole gamut from relish to obvious dislike depending on the individual.

Best to train children not to do it though.

Sometimes my dog will invite me to hug him and on these rare occasions I do. My hubby LOVES to hug the dog and will do so often, much to the dog's dismay. The dog tolerates it like a champ (he knows hubby and genuinely trusts that he would never harm him) so I keep my "crazy dog lady" mouth shut. I would never, ever let a stranger hug Camden... I think he'd be terrified and if he couldn't get away would have the potential to snap.

Its a good article.

My dogs enjoy some degree of close body contact but only with me and with my husband.

Border Collie Argos will literally crawl in our laps and drape over our shoulders but will permit no one else that kind of contact.

Papillon Jasper has a "side hug" maneuver where he steps on my leg as I sit and then presses against my side, allowing me to put my arm around him and gently squeeze. Its the only hugging he really seems to tolerate/solicit. He even really doesn't like to be picked up:

"Ewww, put me down. No kisses, Mom."

10650051_10203985782778778_2231663760382

Papillon Swiffer is funny, she seems to like the actual hug or cuddle but hates the moments leading up to it where we reach into her personal space. She squints and braces and then relaxes into a snuggle.

Dogs are funny.

Many dogs don't like to be hugged. They may tolerate it from family -- and some may even tolerate it from strangers -- but that doesn't mean they enjoy it.

Bodhi, who's a therapy dog, is of the I'll-tolerate-it-even-though-I-don't-want-it camp (that's one reason why he can be a therapy dog). But I discourage people from doing it when I can.

People, and kids especially, should be taught not to hug dogs they don't know. It can be risky with the wrong dog.

I hug Tess frequently, because she loves it. She enjoys physical contact. I don't even mind if people she knows well and likes hug her, because judjing from her reaction she's more than ok with it. But strangers and specially children, never ever. She would probably like it also, but it's not good on principle. She's a confident dog that doesn't easily feel threatned, but it would be stupid to keep testing her boundaries anyway.

I have a first night-first dog owners class speech that goes,

"the WORST breed of dog to own if you have kids is____? ". The responses are "GSD's, Malinois, Dalmation," etc etc. To which I answer "no, nope, no". The answer is "the Golden Retriever". Can you guess why?, I say. It's because they put up with just about any idiot behaviour that their family's kids dole out. Who doesn't hug their Golden? So the people think it's good to hug their dog; kind even. Being "good with dogs" is hugging gently, I hear all the time. The kids who grew up with a crabby Beagle or their dad's hunting dogs don't hug dogs - they've learned to offer respect and space.

Quinn and a couple other Border Collies I know initiate and seem to enjoy hugs. I had a Sheltie who was the same way. My other dogs have either tolerated or objected to being hugged. They might like to snuggle, be petted or scratched, lie on my feet or even lean on me but they were/are not into hugs. I agree that most dogs don't care for that type of handling but many learn to put up with it because it is such a common way humans show affection.

I hug my dogs all the time. Every playtime, every greeting, casually when I'm walking by.

Not because I like it, though it's become a habit now.But because one of my dogs, an absolute champ with kids, got a sudden hug and a big kiss on the top of her head one day from a small child. Both of those things were totally unfamiliar interactions to her and she froze and looked stressed.

So we all do big hugs and big noisy kiss sounds and the dogs know that if that happens just wait for the human to stop. I make sure to do it firmly within the context of play and affection times so they know what's going to happen, and they seem to understand that it's not a threatening thing. It might not be their favourite thing but there's no whale-eye and if someone else hugs they can put up with it.

I do warn people not to hug the dog, things like that, but that incident (under close supervision, I might add) made me realise this might be something I could do a bit of defensive training on.

I hug my dogs and I hug them often.

I do not allow anyone else to hug them unless the dog is amenable to it. So, anyone can hug Dean Dog. I am the only person in the entire world who hugs Tessa, except during a thunderstorm when she will voluntarily jump into my husband's arms. As of now Bandit is open to hugs from all. If he develops more of a sense of personal space with non-family members when he is older, I will ask people to respect that.

I hug Gidget when she comes to me for hugs, she has become very affectionate. Poppy has never been big on hugs, she loves to cuddle, or lay beside me more then anything. I never let my kids or grand kids do half the things I see people let their kids do, I taught them to be kind and gentle show the animals respect, also to never go up to an animal that they do not know, always ask the owner if you can pet it.

The article really made me think about the reasons behind why people mostly kids end up getting bitten by friendly dogs. Its so sad because usually those dogs have to be put down.

Jinx hugs me! He did go through a phase when he wanted nothing to do with cuddles, but now he does. Other people... he would rather have nothing to do with. He definitely has his favorite people, but if he doesn't know you... you definitely shouldn't try to hug him. Actually, most people he has a relationship with he would probably let hug him.

ETA. I don't think he would bite someone for trying, i think he would try to get away.

He will evade you, and if you keep chasing him he will tell you to back off. I don't understand some people. Jinx doesn't mind people and strangers, and he'll go up to them to get pet and play, but he'd rather get to know them on his own terms. I've had people stare and chase down my dog and then tell me he's aggressive because he tells them to get away, after I've already told them to stop.

It seems like a double-ended problem. Not all dogs like it, but I think ALL dogs should be trained to tolerate it, the same way ALL children (and people) should be taught to respect other dogs' personal space and ASK before doing something so invasive. I wouldn't own a dog that would bite a human for hugging it, but you're a shitty parent if you let your kid hang on dogs because not everyone owns the same kind of dog. If your kid gets bit because it was being disrespectful, it's your fault as the parent IMHO. I do wish more people in the USA took pet ownership more seriously and trained and desensitized their dogs more though.

My dog doesn't love hugs but he likes gentle hugs from adults and tolerates them from polite children. If a kid touches my dog without asking I pull him away and tell them he's not friendly so the parents get the idea they should train their damn kids to ask first.

I hug my dogs! My old lady tolerates it. She looks at me like why are you doing this to me! My puppy is ok with it for now. He snuggles up a little even if he is In the mood. I know they're dogs but I treat them like people. I talk to them, tell them I love them and to behave before I go to work, ask them how whatever meal was, how they are. They look at me like I'm crazy but it's ok because they're my fur babies!

when it comes to strangers hugging my dogs though, big absolute no no. My 12 year old niece who grew up a little with Kasha(the old lady) still tries to hug her and kasha wants nothing to do with it at this point. She gets a snarl face on when it comes to anyone but me or my partner hugging on her.

one day I went to pick up Gidgets service dog harness, the woman who I got it from came over to the back of the truck where I had gidget sitting, she did not attempt to get to even know Gidget, She did say my aren't you a pretty dog, then she proceeded to wrap her arms around her, she said she was doing that to get a feel for the size of the harness, so she could make proper adjustments. Well mind you Gidget had only been with me a couple months, Gidget gave her a warning to back off. The lady told me that I could never bring this dog out in public, and that I should never leave my yard with her as she was obviously so abused and neglected that she was a "one person dog". I talked to the trainer about what had happened, the trainer told me that that woman was an idiot and she should have known better! Looking back at what happened that day and reading about hugging, I totally get where Gidget was coming from that day, and I agree with her trainer, that the woman was in the wrong. Gidget has come leaps and bounds since then, now she is this happy outgoing confident little thing, at that time she was a scared little rabbit, just getting to know me, I should have stopped the woman, but honestly she did it so fast I did not even see it coming. No harm was done but it did scare me and had me quite upset and worried.

I wonder what those people who walk up to a dog they do not know and hug it would think if a total stranger walked up to them and threw their arms around them! Bet they wouldn't like it much; bet it would make them uncomfortable and suspicious. I will never understand why people do not respect animals more. Why they cannot think to put themselves in their paws for a moment.

Having said that, I hug my dogs. Jester barely tolerates it, so it is very rare with him. The others beg for any form of physical attention and loving, so I am never without a dog to be petting if I want (or need) to love on a dog. I think I probably benefit from it even more than they do, or at least certainly just as much.

I am not crazy about letting strangers pet or handle my dogs in any setting. I usually allow it but keep a pretty close eye on what is going on. When a child approaches, I take it as an opportunity, gently and in a friendly manner, to educate the kid on the etiquette of asking to pet a dog, and respecting the dog's feelings.

I don't hug my dogs. My BC prefers to settle at my feet or next to me when she wants to be close, one terrier claims my lap and the other prefers to curl up at my side. They all tolerate a lot of head rumpling with various degrees of enjoyment, but getting in a position to hug any of them seems pretty awkward.

I wonder what those people who walk up to a dog they do not know and hug it would think if a total stranger walked up to them and threw their arms around them! Bet they wouldn't like it much; bet it would make them uncomfortable and suspicious. I will never understand why people do not respect animals more. Why they cannot think to put themselves in their paws for a moment.

I see you're not from California. I live in the East (SF) Bay, and I'm here to tell you so many people take the most egregious liberties with greetings - even introductory greetings. People will simply throw themselves at you. Awhile back I was almost knocked flat by an ophthalmologist I know. I want to bite people when they do this. And they encourage their children to do the same with dogs and people. What happened to personal space? For people or dogs!

When I see people with children coming down the sidewalk I "sit" my dog and stand between her and the oncoming cavalcade. If the adults in the party show no sign of reining in the chubby little toddler who is gamboling in our direction, I say clearly and calmly. "This dog BITES." That usually has the desired effect. Adults snatch up their enthusiastic rug-rats and give us a wide berth. I always remember to thank them. They undoubtedly think me a horrid old troll, but that's OK as long as they leave my dog alone. (My dog has never bitten anyone, but she is a tad reactive, so better safe than sorry is my motto.)

It depends - how do you define a hug? Even with people there is a wide difference between hugs - light sideways touches to big full front bear hugs.

Someone here once described how much their dog loved full body hugs. I tried. Nope! Not for my dog.

What we do both love though is best described as a loose closeness. I get down on his level and we touch cheeks while I loosely put my arms round his body. The focus is not arm holding as you would with a person, where the arms pull each other close. Instead, the focus is touching our heads. He likes to sneak in lick-kisses while I tell him he's good and make kissing sounds. My arms make a loose circle that he joyously wiggles around in. He is very sweet and loving in those moments.

He doesn't enjoy being pulled close and restrained like we do with people hugs.

I think I may start hugging people when they try to hug my dog for no reason. When they ask WTH I'm doing maybe it will make them realize what they're doing.

When I see people with children coming down the sidewalk I "sit" my dog and stand between her and the oncoming cavalcade. If the adults in the party show no sign of reining in the chubby little toddler who is gamboling in our direction, I say clearly and calmly. "This dog BITES." That usually has the desired effect. Adults snatch up their enthusiastic rug-rats and give us a wide berth. I always remember to thank them. They undoubtedly think me a horrid old troll, but that's OK as long as they leave my dog alone. (My dog has never bitten anyone, but she is a tad reactive, so better safe than sorry is my motto.)

I put mine in a sit as well when we pass people on walks, from California as well(mammoth during the winter, I don't have this problem in mammoth though... lots more dog savvy people. Orange county during the summer), people ALWAYS without fail try to distract him, calling "aww puppy puppy, want to say hi?!?!" snapping fingers, reaching towards him. I should just start saying he bites....

A few years ago I was at a training seminar (something fun about trick training for tv and cinema) with my previous dog Sara. We where outdoors, sitting on top of a large wall. Next to me was a woman who owned 3 dogs (not with her at the moment), and between us Sara was sitting.

Sara loved people and she loved physical contact. So when the girl started making friends with her, it was ok by me. More than 1 hour passed, and while we where listening to the trainer, the girl would stroke Sara and talk to her often. I wasn't even paying attention to them anymore, they where enjoying one another.

Then, suddenly, the girls says: Your dog just tried to bite me!

What?, says I, who know my Sara and know she believes human skin is sacred. What happened exactly?

Well, says the girl, I was petting her and then she kind of snapped at me.

Could you show me exactly what you where doing? I ask. Don't do it to her, obviously, just show me.

Well, I had my arm over her body, and was petting her side, and then I kissed her ear - she says, making a shrill kissing sound.

Ohhh! I say.-Watch this.

And I kissed Sara's ear, making the same noise. And Sara sharply turned her head towards me.

Was this what she did? I ask

Yes...

Was there any intention of biting present?

No...

You see, says I, she's a sheepdog. She's sensitive, easily startled and reactive to sudden noises. That sound, right next to her ear, is not somethingh she can enjoy. It startled her. If it was a bit louder, she would even have jumped in the air. What she would not have done, is bite you. For her to bite you, she would have had to feel really threatned, which would take a lot more than a kiss, and even then she would probably choose flight. So please don't go around assuming all dogs like kissing, even if they like petting.

Oh, I see! says the girl. I understand now.

And this girl had 3 dogs... but she was locked in their little world and assumed that what her dogs liked, all dogs also liked.

Oh, man, don´t get me started on this hugging thing.

Iceland hardly has a "pet culture" and people generally don´t teach their kids how to behave around dogs. If an incident occurs because of gross misbehavior of said kids, the dog is always at fault and should die.

I could tell you quite a lot of anecdotes of kids who behave completely ignorant around dogs. More than once the "AwhessoCUTE" battle cry sounds, followed by an enthusiastic hug (read kid throws himself on the unsuspecting canine) from someone the dog has never seen before in his life.

Especially my old Icelandic sheepdog mix falls victim to such abuse. Because well, he is very cute. And old. and grumpy. Also he never particularly liked kids.

I have learned I can´t trust any kid but my own. Not even the ones who have dogs at home themselves. Even the ones you warned about this in clear words. You turn your back and they proceed doing exactly what you told them not to.

I put my dogs away when there are kids visiting.