BC Boards

Do you hug your dog?

I would say its dependant on the indevidual dog it's recommend to get your puppy used to human contact at the earliest of stages handling its pads and feet so to get it used to having its nails clipped also its ears and teeth as to get it used to them being cleaning if a dog is not as familiar with this kind of physical contact it may feel threatened by it plenty of human contact/affection is healthy for your dog from a young age if it hasn't had this then caution needs to be applied.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't own a dog that would bite a human for hugging it

I've had kids break away from their parents to run up and hug Camden but I've always been there to intervene. I will immidiately step in to protect him and it never gets any further then him throwing out stress signals, IOW no lip curling, no growling, but lots of avoidance, whale eye, etc.. He's never had to escalate because he knows I've got his back.

I found out that while I was out of town a few weeks ago my husband allowed a family (complete strangers) to handle Camden in a "dog whisperer" kind of way. I don't know with on earth he was thinking but he basically let the dad of the family alpha roll Camden so that his kids could pet my dog while he was in a "submissive" position. I can only assume my hubby told this family that Camden was nervous around children and the dad decided he could handle my dog in this way to assure his kids safety while they petted him (insert furious head exploding icon here). From what I'm able to put together one of the children ran over and tried to hug Camden after he'd been placed on his back and (understandably) scared the sh*t out of him. In telling me the story my hubby says "He didn't scratch her or anything, but he tried". "Scratch?!?" I asked. What my husband didn't want to say was that my dog tried to bite this child. :blink: Frankly, I do not place any blame on the dog. He was vulnerable and hubby sure wasn't acting as his defender so he took matters into his own jaws. He did not bite the child, FWIW, as best I can work it out he delivered a well placed air snap that told the kid if she came any closer the next one would hurt. It seemed to have convinced all the human involved that they were setting down a dangerous path and the family went on their way.

So yeah, I don't want to own a dog that would bite a child for hugging it. He's been hugged many times by children in my presence and never escalated to anything remotely approaching a bite, but I credit my vigilance more then his patience for that fact. However I've always speculated and now KNOW that if he can't get away and feels legitimately under threat he will take it to that level. I don't like it but it's a reality many of us with dogs who aren't the biggest fans of children deal with.

Just wanted to add that I very much like the idea some people have brought up of conditioning dogs who don't like to be hugged to tolerate it, however briefly. I think it does give the handler a couple of seconds to react should a child appear out of nowhere and latch onto their dog.

I hug Mya occasionally but not often, she gives that look of do you have to do that some days, and others it is okay! However, she does not mind when I come up to her and tell her she is a good girl, scratch her behind her ears and kiss her on top of her head. She is definitely not a lovey dovey dog at least not right now, she would rather be playing, but she just turned 1 so probably heading into the teenage years or the gross having to deal with parents stage.

She is still pretty leary of some people, I ask people if they wish to pet her to let her come to them. I learned that from this site it is okay for your dog to not be in your face friendly with everyone and it is okay to stand up for them. So far any dog is okay and people with dogs are okay it seems though but still she would not want strangers hugging on her.

Our American Eskimo we had definitely did not want anyone hugging him. He allowed me to because while I was doing his ritual brushing which was a good deal of the time I would pet him and hug him so he tolerated me doing it but that was it or my husband but that was more of a arm around him saying how you doing old man. Kids always would come running at him because he was so big and soft and I would stop them and say the same thing as above, he bites, don't do that, especially as he got older and more grumpier.

Our daughter's little yorkie, our daughter kissed and cuddled her all the time and she did not mind at all. In fact she usually sought out people's attention. Her male Yorkie she has now, she will hug and he wants our attention as he lived here for quite a few years but no one else would be tolerated. And people run up to them all the time especially kids saying oh what a cute puppy!! I would have to say they are not puppies, but full grown dogs.

I would never just walk up and pet someone's dog without asking first if it were okay. People used to make me feel like there was something wrong with Blizzard, our eskimo, not wanting their attention, but I don't let them make me feel that way anymore with Mya. If she does not want their attention, then she should not have to take it, it is as simple as that.

Seriously, though, notice the whale eyes?

I’ve been hearing a lot about the “whale eye” in dogs. People are often warned that a dog showing the whites of its eyes is stressed, and therefore likely to bite. While this is certainly true in some cases, it is not, by any means, always true. The dog must be taken as a whole, including mouth/ear posture, stiffness or rigidity of the body and tail posture. Hair displays such as hackling can supply more information, although a dog may hackle simply because it is excited.

The Labrador Retriever being hugged by the girl may be stressed, and he may not be. And even if he is, it may not be about the hug. Some dogs show the whites of their eyes a lot when they are not stressed - or even excited. My dog is one of those. She does it when playing, and sometimes when she's just being goofy.

post-10533-0-77981400-1411416196_thumb.jpg Sugar about to grab the tug toy.

post-10533-0-64727000-1411416220_thumb.jpg Sugar being squirrely. This was her first experience of a toy, and she was all for it!

I've never seen whale eye on my dog when I was hugging her. She loves to be squeezed. Even from the time when I first got her, she loved it. I squeezed her once, early on, without thinking and the response was totally unexpected. As soon as I had my arms around her, I thought, "Well, this was a stupid thing to do." But no. When I let go of her she jumped into my arms, (I was sitting on the edge of the bed) wiggling and grinning and shoved her whole body under my arm. So I hugged her again. More ecstatic grinning. She jumped down, had major zoomies all over the room and finished up by jumping into my lap and rooting her way under my arm again. This is her response, to this day, to a bear-hug.

Maybe it's because she got no physical contact from people for the first six months of her life. Maybe the sensation was so novel and delicious to her because she was starved for physical contact and affection. I wish I could ask her.

It must be me, but my dogs tend not to like to be hugged, by and large. I do not like people doing much more than a perfunctory pat to any of my dogs - too many possibilities for things to go wrong.

I did have one dog who liked to hug people. Right around the waist. Pissed most people off most of the time and me all of the time - but ... meh ... Border Collies ... what are ya gonna do?

Golan practically asks for it. Sits next to me tightly and waits for me to drape and arm around and hug him. When I hug him (as I did just now as he half climbed into my lap), he often turns his face into me and licks me.

Runt likes it. Good thing, too; because I don't think Mrs. Medic would stop doing it to her.

Hoshanah, no way, no how. She doesn't react, but she tries to stay aloof.

When Oro was alive (big Lab), he loved it. One of my favorite photos is of my wife using Oro like a big pillow. She's lying half on top of him, both looking half asleep and happy. They often napped like that.

Pazzy didn't tolerate hugs. She'd squirm out, so of course we didn't push it.

post-15607-0-33903300-1411429867_thumb.jpg

Penny has to be in the mood for hugs. If she wants one she'll come and ask for one, though her version of hugs are more an arm around her shoulders or hands massaging her shoulders while she snuggles her head in and gets a kiss on her forehead. If she's not in the mood she will pull back.

Penny says play time is not petting time lol. And she gives the "sideways eye" to her toys too just like your dog, Geonni. :)

On whale eye - BCs and similar breeds (e.g. Aussies) show more of their scerlae than most dogs. That lab getting hugged looks stressed as hell, but that's a normal amount of white for a BC's eyes. Unless you see a HUGE amount of white, it's probably not whale eye for a BC. Just a small fact for people who might misinterpret their dogs' eyes.

I've attached a pic demonstrating BC whale eye. My dog gets scared when cats touch him.

post-16096-0-45158900-1411441133_thumb.jpg

Understandable; cats are evil.

C'mon, Tess and my cat play all the time... they chase each other and wrestle and pounce on each other... They take turns chasing each other on the corridor. Quite fun to watch the cat enticing Tess to play.

It did take a good 6 months though for Becca the cat to be sure Tess had understood cat's rules about how the universe works, and for them to start playing.

I’ve been hearing a lot about the “whale eye” in dogs. People are often warned that a dog showing the whites of its eyes is stressed, and therefore likely to bite. While this is certainly true in some cases, it is not, by any means, always true. The dog must be taken as a whole, including mouth/ear posture, stiffness or rigidity of the body and tail posture. Hair displays such as hackling can supply more information, although a dog may hackle simply because it is excited.

I agree that sometimes dogs show the whites of their eyes when they're not stressed.

The thing is that true whale eye is a real indicator of stress often enough that it should be paid attention to -- I'd advise to err on the side of caution, both with a dog you don't know and with your own dog, especially when around strangers. If it's not stress, no harm done, but if it is, it could very well be the difference that means potential harm is avoided.

ETA: The dog in the picture I posted above also has its ears back. That's another equivocal indicator, maybe of stress, maybe not. Coupled with the whale eye, I'd be doubly cautious.

I agree that sometimes dogs show the whites of their eyes when they're not stressed.

The thing is that true whale eye is a real indicator of stress often enough that it should be paid attention to -- I'd advise to err on the side of caution, both with a dog you don't know and with your own dog, especially when around strangers. If it's not stress, no harm done, but if it is, it could very well be the difference that means potential harm is avoided.

Agreed. Any behavior that might indicate anxiety/fear/aggression should be noted. If it's your own dog, keep track - see what means what in his/her case. In any other dog, don't take chances - step back and give the critter space. I can't believe how many people will get in the face of a dog they don't know - even when asked not to.

We hug each other sometimes. Most of the time we are just mutually content to share the same space withing touching distance. I'm not much of a hugging human type anyway.

A few days ago I had this really cute girl/woman get down on the ground and start kissing and hugging Tio raving about how irresistible he was... He was cool as he likes hot human females more than the canine version but all I was thinking was.......

Next time I want to try doing that to her...just come up to this good looking stranger and start hugging and kissing and raving how irresistible she was.. I somehow think that wouldn't go over so well though... ;)

I learned this lesson the hard way when I was about 6. I hugged my neighbors German Shepherd, (which I did know to be an aggressive dog, even as a young child) and had a bunch of stitched along my jaw line and almost lost an eardrum from the bite. He certainly didn't like it and let me know. I would hug my own dogs (if they liked it), but never someone else's. My new border pup so far does not like it, but my golden would be happy if I had her in a head lock all day! You have to know your dog, but never cross certain boundaries with someone else's dog, even if you know them well.

I was at the park the other day letting my old beagle have some one on one time, she went over to the little kid area of the park, she loves kids, misses those grand kids so bad just like I do, well anyway she was over there in her glory all these adorable little girls asked their moms if they can pet the "puppy" they were told to ask me first, I said oh please do she misses being around kids, before I knew it they were on their knees petting her poppy was all smiles, getting all the loving she has been craving it was adorable, then she laid her head in one little girls arms and the little girl told me she thinks my puppy needed a hug lol. Poppy was so happy to have all those little ones all over her giving her all that attention, but she went to them seeking it, the girl didn't hug pop but poppy sure gave the little girl a puppy hug!

MY BC puppy has started to hug me. From behind. She gets up on hind legs, puts her paws around my shoulders and buries her nose in my neck. It's very gentle - almost oddly so - and sometimes she likes to stay like that for a few minutes.

I do not think I have ever "hugged" her but I do spend a lot of training time on the ground with her, holding her like a human harness.

It's very touching and strange.

^^^yep ,often when I'm sitting on the sofa, my oldest bitch gets onto the back of it, puts her paws round my shoulders, nuzzles into my neck, just leaning her head into mine. She will also add the odd gentle lick on my ear.. She chooses when to do this, it's not every time I'm sitting and I don't think it's dependent on my mood.

She's the only dog I've had who has done this, though the others will choose they want to lean into me from the side and some will decide to snuggle under my arm. Or lean their head against mine. ( again from the side).

Always their choice when they do this. Some definitely want this touch more than others.

I always hug my dogs, Lyka is not a big fan but accepts it. Lily, however LOVES hugs and tries to give people neck hugs (where she pushes her neck tightly around any part of you that you let her and gives you little soft puppy kisses). However I mainly do it so when they are around kids they don't panic when they get hugs.