BC Boards

Euthanasia and Guilt

I'm thinking of you, Deb, and all the good animals. We are facing a bit of what's on your plate but not so severely yet.

At Mac's annual last week, we confirmed the presence of a very large hemiosarcoma (I know that's spelled wrong) which appears to be on his spleen. In addition, for a dog whose xrays showed an excellent spine a couple of years back, he's got humongous spurs on the ventral sides that meet from one vertebra to the next. That appears to be the source of his getting-up issues recently. He's been in pain and is now on Deramaxx, which helps tremendously. At fifteen years of age, and a lifetime of working cattle, we know he doesn't have much time left.

The vet said there was still enough twinkle in his eye and interest in his life to keep him until he lets us know that it's just not worth it anymore. I wish I could tell when that would be before it happens but I'll just have to keep a close eye on him.

Meanwhile, my Molly (gray mare), who came with small tumors on her tail and near her rectum, has shown a lot of growth in the tumors in recent years. Finally, one that has "leaked" a bit here and there over time, just doesn't crust over any more. But, she's doing fine otherwise, showing no problems, still top mare and eating like a horse, so we'll just keep an eye on that, too. We lost the old pony (35) in late fall/early winter and the old mare (also 35) keeps chugging along in spite of heaves and metabolic problems (Cushing's?), just as crabby and eager to eat anything and everything as she's ever been.

I'm not faced right now with the worries and problems you are, but I'm feeling for you. Tim will come around to understand, I'm sure. And, by the way, I'm still way older than you are. Best wishes!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Debbie - hopefully your husband will come around about Sandman. Sounds like you will know when it's time for Roly, if that decision isn't taken out of your hands by Mother Nature. I can't imagine how painful it must be to be losing two of your seniors at or near the same time.

Sue - I'm sorry to hear about Mac's health issues. If it were just the tumor, I'd suggest treatment (my vet just removed a large hemiosarcoma from her 11 yo bc a few months ago and the dog recovered well) but given the age and the other health problems, I can understand just keeping him comfortable for as long as possible.

Both of you have reminded me how lucky I am that all three of my seniors (14-1/2 yr bc Sara and two cats, 15 and 19) are relatively healthy and that my Lhasa with the heart defect has very few symptoms.

I am in exactly the same position with the grey horse in my member pic. Exactly. The tumor blows up, he impacts, the tumor ruptures (even though on film they look and palpate as completely solid), he leaks melanin, his butt is repulsive if I don't clean it just about every flipping minute. But he's sound, and he lives to work. Every time we are walking that line of colicy impaction vs tumour rupture, I wonder at life, too.

I don't know where you are, and not to raise this at a bad point, but Virginia Tech is doing an interesting frankincense study in equine melanoma. They don't even have to live on site, you can ship in to either Blacksburg or Leesburg. (But Leesburg just had the herpes outbreak, so bear that in mind.) All I can say is....they rupture every time, even though they shouldn't. Who knows what that means?

Pax, I know the treatment, Dr. Bain from our vet clinic came out to see it for himself (all the other vets there have all been witness to the mess of Sandman's tail), thinking this might be a good case, but he agreed, too far gone. His tail is in the middle of the current area of trouble, both sides of his dock are involved, and the tumor that abcessed (necrotic nasty thing) opened up on top, then below, so it luckily drains through all the way now, but it's size and his getting thin, the ones inside him I can't see, the ones in his sheath, it's just time. He has had a great life, even though he's lived through some dumb accidents, EPM, and his sometimes fragile emotional well-being (he's top guy in any group he lives with, but is insecure about it--has a hard time with being physically able to maintain his bad-ass moves when he needs to, yet another reason to let him go now).

I think I'm over this whole week. I also think I'm ready to accept that sometimes, yes, I will need to do things like PTS to an animal because I can't afford the time or the money to give it proper treatment, and sometimes it just isn't possible to avoid even if I did have it, and schedules do matter in the big picture. If I put down Roly next week because she isn't better and can't stay this good much longer, so be it. If I put down Sandman this spring because I dread maggots and having him dragged down to skin and bones, or too sick to enjoy life, Tim will just have to let me have it with both barrels of his mouth. For them, I can take it, and I'll be right, and I just have to trust my heart on this one. I'm thankful for having faith to help me, and for you guys for being a sounding board and for some really good thoughts and lessons.

Last night, after I wrote my last post, I went home, fed the dogs and went to bed, have to work this morning again. Roly woke me up at 12:30, a strange little woof, and her mouth covered in drool. Poor girl had bloated, and I took her to the emergency vet in town and let her go. God has a way of working these things out, I was home, I was not at a trial, she didn't "suffer" long, and even there she wagged her tail, although it was sad because she clearly was looking to me for help and I had to drive her thirty minutes into town, then go through the check-in process at a strange vet's. I'm just glad that's over. I sure will miss her smiling face.

Debbie - So sorry for your loss. I can only imagine that this is something you have struggled with but at the same time it must be a relief to know that Roly is feeling no pain now. Time heals all wounds but it won't take away the memories you have of her. You gave her the best life and for that I'm sure she is more than grateful.

I'm sorry you lost Roly. But I'm sure you feel a little better knowing that she's not in pain anymore. It's never easy to lose an animal that you grow so close to. My thoughts are out to you.

God Bless Roly

I just got home and saw this about Roly. So sorry that you lost him, Deb, but I'm glad you did the right thing. I know how you agonize over doing just what's right for your beloved menagerie.

Mac was not doing too well when I left on Friday, just losing strength in the hind end and have more problems getting up, but still top dog and bright-eyed. He spent the weekend with Ed but, by last evening, was refusing food and water, and virtually unable to stand. Ed told me that it's time and we will be taking him to the vet tomorrow.

He's as comfy as he can be right now and we've doubled up on the Deramaxx, which is helpful. He's fifteen, led an active life as a farm stockedog (cattle), companion and guardian to our children, protector and nursemaid to chilled and orphaned baby calves, walking companion, and friend to all small animals (especially house rabbits).

Pushy like I think Aussies can often be, a real pest at times, and to be missed by all our family...

Debbie and Sue, my heart goes out to both of you. It is such a difficult decision to make and yet we all know in our hearts that it is the right one.

For you and to those others who have had to make the tough choice

Memories

There are shadows in my garden

That only I can see

The dogs so gaily playing

That once belonged to me.

They run round in sunshine

They lie panting in the shade

They are racing by the hedges

They are chasing through the glade

They come to me at nightfall

They are lying by my chair

Yet, to other people

There is only one dog there.

Roly and Mac will be with you always.

Debbie,

I guess Roly was ready, and I'm glad you were there for her when the time came. I hope Tim comes around about Sandman, but even if not, I know you'll know to do the right thing. I'm keeping you in my prayers.

Sue,

I'm sorry to hear about Mac. I know this is a hard time, but he will be grateful to you for not prolonging his suffering. I'll keep you and Ed in my prayers too.

J.

Go in peace, my valiant friend.

Suffer no more; sweet sleep has come.

Be welcomed by our friends;

They have blazed a path for you to follow.

Wait patiently, for I will join you again,

Your keen vision restored to lead our way,

Strength renewed, for we shall journey forever.

I learned from your courage

In the waning of your days.

You fought bravely through the pain,

A whimper never passed,

Always by my side as I was by yours.

Your battle is over, our grieving begins,

As I lay you to rest

In the yard were we played.

Your place in my soul

will always remain filled.

So rest now in peace, my gallant companion,

Knowing how much I loved you

And will miss you at my side.

Baby’s Dad eulogy for Zeke

Thanks, friends, and I hope I didn't highjack your thread, Debbie. I am so sorry for all you are going through, with Roly and with Sandman.

We did take Mac in this morning as he was not doing well enough to wait until after work, couldn't keep down his pain meds, and his eyes were letting us know that life was not enjoyable enough any more. The vet staff was wonderful, as always, and eased him out very gently, with Ed (crying a bit here and there) and myself petting him and telling him it would be all right.

A kind and gentle euthanization is the last gift we can give to our loyal friends when life no longer is a joy to them. Mac has joined a long line of faithful friends who have gone before him...