BC Boards

strange foods dogs eat

My first dog, a flat-coated retriever, did not in her life find one item she did NOT like. She even ate peppers of all varieties. If you gave it to her, she ate it. Also, if you left it on the counter, or table, or anywhere within reach, she ate it. She stole loaves of bread several times (how good can bread smell to a dog anyway?)

She also developed a sweet tooth and stole chocolate whenever she found the opportunity (didn't get sick from it either, although we had several scared vet visits!)

As far as my BC's go, Drifter is much too finicky for most foods, but Kiba will eat almost anything. She also eats lettuce - I think she likes it more than I do. She likes all kinds of fruits and veggies. My pup likes dead leaves and twigs. . .

Bute goes ape over the white stuff inside the orange peel (and the white "stemmy" part down the middle, including the navel with its little bit of peel). He also loves a slice of orange.

This is a dog that can turn up his nose at good dog food but go rabid over "junk food". He still considers a good pile of frozen horse poop to be the best treat he can find outside.

The time is coming but he hasn't yet discovered the joys of a calf's meconium or colostrum poop yet - both nice and tasty, and stick to your teeth. You probably didn't want to hear that, though.

Not about dogs but my dairy goats would go crazy over banana peels. They would try to steal them out of each other's mouths. It was great fun to watch their excitement when I came into the barn and they could smell or see the peels.

my dogs eat some things i never thought dogs would eat. please let me know if these things are harmful.

sauerkraut

pork and beans

I'm thinking the "after effects" might be harmful to *you* :D , don't know about the dogs, though!

My pup likes dead leaves and twigs. . .

Yeah! What is up with that? I swear, Alex is like a Hoover out in the yard. He is constantly eating sticks and leaves. :rolleyes:

Tiga will eat anything you give him. His favorite is raw carrots. I can't peel carrots without giving him one. He is also a stick eater and any kind of animal poop he can find in the yard (except his own). He also loves kitty litter. The only thing that we've found that he doesn't like is liver. I found that strange because my dog growing up loved it.

Teesh looooves sheep poop

And drinking water out of the puddles in cow poop

and lamb carcases (on the farm there was one that had died where the farmer didnt see - so it was months old) - no kisses that day

A friend of mine the 1st time her dog saw a cow pat it was a few days old one

She went straight over, pawed the dried out crust away and happily munched on the nice soft insides

arnt dogs great?? - just not when you are eating and see what they are up too

Black Jack loves cheetos. The hard ones, not the puffy ones. He likes to chop sticks in half, then in half, then in half again but he doesn't eat them most of the time, unless he's bored and I'm busy with the horse and can't play right then. He also loves sunflower seeds, he'll eat a couple, then start spitting out the shells :rolleyes: I don't know how on earth he does it but he does. I don't think he eats hardly any of the shells. It's funny.

He hasn't seen leaves yet so we'll see I guess.

Bo loves squash (esp. pumpkin), blueberries, strawberries, tater tots (loves 'em right out of the freezer).

He goes nuts over flies - he wants you to flatten 'em so when they drop to the floor he eats them. :rolleyes:

His favorite outdoor delicacy is deer poop. :D

I tried giving Black Jack some lettuce today and he hated it :D

I was walking him today up the hay field just seeing what was up, then he came up to me holding something. I thought it was a stick since he likes to pick them up and run around with them, but no it was a rabbit's LEG! :rolleyes: It was old but still, it was gross. lol.

Allie has a great fondness for clementine oranges. She can smell one a mile away and will bolt into the kitchen if anyone eats them. :D She likes squash and pureed vegetables a lot. (No tomatoes, though.) And the worst, is that she really, really likes cat poop! Kitty poop snacks are a special favorite. :rolleyes: She will eat deer, elk, bear, horse and who-knows-what-else type of scat when we are out camping, also.

my old lab guzzi once ate......

half a bucket of wall paper paste

a bag of mixer biscuit including the bag

the raisins my dad had used for wine making (very drunk dog, he was ok though)

my dad's entire crop of parsnips that he had forked up and left on the ground to get the frost overnight

carrots, though he used to carry the ones i bought him all the way home from the shop before he would eat it.

fortunately he didnt eat all this in one day. cast iron stomach or what?

Recon loves wasabi. Plain, gooey, hot as heck wasabi. She'll lick it off my fingers, goes nuts if I put a little on a piece of kibble - she's insane. And pop rocks. You know, that candy? Loves it.

We have a cat who eats anything and everything, though. Kitty2 is her name (yes, really). She was the lone survivor in a litter of 5 that happened when a random stray kitty showed up and adopted us (she gave birth in the middle of our driveway. she's a smart one.) anyway. Kitty2 eats mushrooms and green beans and candy corn and corn on the cob and cooked noodles and dried pasta and broccoli and sweet potato and...yeah, ok, if it's on your plate she wants it.

post-6949-1171921047_thumb.jpg

Our last dog would eat ANYTHING, but our new sweet rescue seems to be more descerning. Not to change the subject but does anyone have suggestions

on what to feed to combat loose stools? We got Murphy while we're RV traveling so that may be part of the problem and I changed his diet to rice mixed with

puppy food. It helped for awhile but now the problem's back. Strangely, he's as well housebroken as I could have hoped at 10 months but he even had to learn to climb steps when we got him a month ago.

Rob Dog loves melon, water melon, cantolope, honey dew. The other two won't touch the stuff.

So does Sara! I remember the first time I came home from work and found cataloupe seeds on the kitchen floor and the cantaloupe I had put in the window to ripen gone! :rolleyes: She was less than a yr old at the time - 13 yrs later, she still loves melons of any kind - even the frozen melon balls you can buy at the store.

Wickets Favorite is actually a buffet... a garbage can buffet or a kitty litter buffet.... I can leave him out and about now AS LONG as I hide both of those!!

he ate 1/2 pound of shrimp that had been in the garbage for 2 days and in my fridge for a week!!! nice and stinky!!! he LOVES clumps of kitty pee!!!

and they both go Crazy for boiled eggs and everything I let them lick off my plate.

the funny thing is that I have to feed them lamb and rice food because they have bad poops if I don't, but Wicket can eat anything and EVERYTHING else :rolleyes: