BC Boards

when did you start noticing your bc started getting "old" "slowing down"

my bc zara is 7, and she will still walk forever but she's not so keen on doing sprints any more and drinks lots more water and doesnt really play with her toys any more, getting more white hairs around the muzzle.

Ruby, our Red Tri in the photo on the left, was almost 18 when she died this June.  She only seriously slowed down during the last year of her life.  Moderate slowing probably started around 14.  I am concerned about Zara drinking more water.  She is only seven, so have your vet check her for diabetes.  That can slow them down.  They are all different.

Kathy Robbins

My George is 9 years old now, and he is much the same.  He has always been one to sleep most of the day, but take him out and he is puppy-like as ever, and still seems to have the same energy levels, although he is starting to go a little silver around the face.

I doubt I need to repeat the vet test vote, but I join with all the others.

My old man is 12, in his heart he think he is 3, I retired him from agility just before he turned 11, he has mild hip dysplasia in one hip and he was showing stiffness in his hips which is why I retired him, he was no longer fully extending when jumping but starting to slightly bunny hop so thought it was time (we don't have reduced heights in Spain if we did,  without Covid I would have continued) when playing ball or on walks he is still the same, we have to to end the game. His recovery is longer but after a few hours he is ready to go again. I have started to see some changes but with covid limiting our exercise last year, and this year I ruptured my achilles I suspect some of that is simply a lack of fitness, I am horribly out of shape so I reckon my dogs should be as well! Our first border collie we did not know how old he was, we got him as an adult and had him 10 years we suspected he was around 3/4 when we got him as he had none of that young immature dog thing going on. He never really changed until the last 3 months of his life when he was diagnosed with chronic kidney failure, he had given us no clue he was ill and then he had a seizure. 

I would also suggest a vet visit, at 7 a border collie is in the prime of their lives all mine at that age have had the same drive and love of life as they did 3. 

I like my vet's attitude toward aging in animals. she says that no dog slows down or has problems because of old age, there is always something causing the problem that is specific. So, her approach is to find out what that is and then treat it if possible. I like that because it doesn't assume anything the way some people, do  saying, "oh she's just getting old" instead of finding out what the problem really is . I always take my dogs, no matter the age, to the vet if they start to have any kind of problem that lasts more than a couple of days or if I don't now what it is or how to treat it myself. 

My male, on the left in my avatar photo, lived to 16, or so I think  -   I never knew his exact age. And the girl on the left, Kit, lived to be 17.

They both had various problems as they got older, but still enjoyed their lives up to the end.

• 7 months later...