BC Boards

Hey I am new here and want to say hi. I am a 41 yo woman and dogs are my passion and always have been!

Ever since I was around 7 or 8 I wanted a Border Collie and a few years back I got a Border Collie (first ever purebred dog for me) he was a pup and dang was it hard! I thought I had researched this breed enough but wow! The energy, the headstrong personality...I had  a vet worker tell me I have too gentle a personality for Border Collies maybe so? But at the same time I love Border Collies.  Well a few months back there was a 5 yr old Border Collie in the local shelter and he really needed help soooo I fostered and then adopted the poor baby. Now I have two Border Collies and I adore them despite the challenges. Due to my personal circumstances I don’t want anymore Border Collies but I am determined to enjoy,love,care for my current two all their natural lives.

You see I have chronic health problems such as fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome also I tend to catch EVERYTHING so I am often ill.

I look forward to getting to know you all and sharing.

:D

Broken Glass

Picture? Welcome to the boards.

I currently own 2 border collies also. I have had a border collie for 15 years now. Cressa is my first border collie and is 15 years old. Valek is my other border collie and he is 7.5 years old. I adore this breed even the random quirks. We have done agility in the past but currently they have just been my companion. If I can get better at throwing frisbee we also might start competing in frisbee competition. 

B902C297-47E0-4DAD-81EF-66EF9C97150E.jpeg

Randy is gorgeous! Welcome to the Boards!

Is Randy your adopted or your original dog?

Many of us here fell in love with our first BC and have ended up with multiple - my OH and I currently have four.

They are indeed a special breed, with quirks and intelligence, and we love them all the more for it!

By the way, I do not believe that stuff about too gentle a personality to handle BCs.  That sounds like dominance theory to me.  BCs are sensitive, even the headstrong ones, and will do more for love than for fear.

7 minutes ago, Lawgirl said:

By the way, I do not believe that stuff about too gentle a personality to handle BCs.  That sounds like dominance theory to me.  BCs are sensitive, even the headstrong ones, and will do more for love than for fear.

Agreed.

Randy looks similar to Bodhi, my avatar. :)

On 4/29/2020 at 4:52 PM, Lawgirl said:

Agreement from me also on this. Border collies love to be told something to do, and are very sensitive. If a person is having a training issue with a BC, it is more likely that they are just not approaching the training correctly. Border collies don't require a strong personality to train, but all dogs will take advantage if the trainer is not consistent and firm. My approach is gentle as heck, but completely firm.

Welcome to the BC boards. :-) 

On 4/28/2020 at 2:44 PM, Broken Glass said:

The energy, the headstrong personality...I had  a vet worker tell me I have too gentle a personality for Border Collies maybe so? But at the same time I love Border Collies.  

Firstly, the vet tech is wrong about 'too gentle a personality' for a border collie'. Pish and tosh. B. collies want to DO things with their human(s). They are bred to be doing stuff, and they're not that picky about exactly what stuff it is. They do prefer to do things alongside their human(s), and there are quite a few things that fit that requirement. Scent work, agility, dock diving, tracking, trick training,  flyball are just a few. My beloved Samantha never met a body of water she didn't like. If it was puddle she splashed happily around. Anything bigger and she swam like a champ. She would have made a great dock diving dog.

IMO, as long as the dog feels it's part of a team, it will do just fine. That means you do need to find something that works for both you and your dog or even a couple of different things.  I know of a couple border collies who made excellent therapy dogs. They would do simple tricks for people who needed to be cheered up, and loved the applause. And way back in my memory bank there's something about a bc who was an assistance dog.

You do have to find something that will work for both you and the dog. Work with a decent trainer to get started on basic manners and a few tricks and you'll take off from there.

Good luck! 

Ruth & Gibbs

16 hours ago, urge to herd said:

I know of a couple border collies who made excellent therapy dogs.

The dog in my avatar is one of them. :wub: Probably somewhere between 14.5-17 he was still working when everything was shutting down.

And I've recently adopted another rescue who I feel certain will follow in his paw-steps.

Back to regular programming.

Welcome Broken Glass!!  Aww, your boy is gorgeous!  I have a soft spot for reds!  (and B&W classics, and white & blacks, and smoothies, and split faces, and...well, you get it. lol).  You will find this board full of knowledge,  and empathy,  and comfort,  and fun,  and sometimes even a little reality check when you really need it.  Also, the the search engine is a great tool for finding past answers to questions you may have. The amount of information contained in this site is amazing!!  I have found this site invaluable in raising and living with a Border Collie.  We are all united in our love and dedication to the breed. However, a word of warning:  because of the amount of diverse information, this site can be VERY addicting.:D