BC Boards

Is This Going to Be OK?

After the loss of our 13 year old Chocolate Lab this winter our other two Labs, (4 year old black, 10 year old yellow), have been depressed. Five months passed with no change, thought they'd perk up when swimming season hit, but even that didn't get them back to normal energy level, interest in things. They both grew up with the Cho, she was definitely the Alpha, but a loving one towards them.

Decided we'd get a pup. We thought rather than purchase we'd look at a shelter pup since the economy is so rough and the shelters are full and having a hard time. We found a nice little pup, 9-10 weeks, supposed to be a Lab/Beagle mix. They didn't know for sure though, they had 3 pups turned in by a lady who saw them get dumped. Thought that would make a nice fit with the other kids, mix maybe being an advantage for health and temperament, Beagle part might make her smaller sized. We adopted her and named her Mia.

She hit it off with the younger black Lab famously, they're having a great time playing, sleeping together. The older yellow tolerates her, but runs for the hills when play gets too much, no surprise there. She's a nice little thing, she's been home for 2 weeks. Has learned her name, "no", "come"-with the hand signal. Social, outgoing, and sweet, has loved all family members that have dropped by to see her.

But here's the thing that has me worried. As soon as I emailed a picture out to family and friends, I got back several saying, "that is a smooth coat Border Collie". The only ones I'd ever seen, (on TV), that had smooth coats had the stand up German Shepherd ears, and she has pendulum ears. So I ignored the "helpful" hints. I had her outdoors, the neighbor's lawn man came over and asked if she was full Border Collie, when I said no, Beagle/Lab mix he laughed and said she looks just like the 2 Smooth Coats I have at home, I breed Border Collies. Hmmm? To the Vet's for shots, Vet Tech said, "Border Collie?". Hmmm. Lady at Vet's came to pet her said she looks just like the best dog she ever had. I asked what breed hers was, ...she said Border Collie/Lab. I poured over photos, they have a real point. I poured over breed traits, that's where I am worried.

Is there anyway this is going to work out, for her to be a pet dog? We have a massive fenced yard, swimming pool and fetch for exercise, are around home a lot, but we don't have "hours a day to devote to walking and exercising" her. All 3 of our Labs have been the hyper reedy field trial variety, (not the mellow, heavy, lay on the couch bench Labs), so we are used to accommodating lots of play and interaction. But not to the degree of hours a day, and we sure don't have anything for her to herd.

Anyone have a BC or, (BC mix?), that is happy being a pet? Should I be worried about this turning into a nightmare? I cannot believe what I am reading about this breed being unhappy as a family pet. Will try and attach her photo. She does look to be at least mostly a BC.

Thanks!

post-16471-0-90805300-1403187675_thumb.jpg

First of all she is ADORABLE!!

Of course it will work out! Border Collies do not need to work stock. They don't need to live on a farm! There are more Border Collies that are happy well adjusted pets than there are working Border Collies. There are lots of Border Collies that live in apartments in cities. All she needs is love, attention, direction, and stimulation. That stimulation does not always have to be full out exercise. Give her times where you are challenging her mind. That often goes a long way with a Border Collie. If she displays behaviors you do not like, redirect her. Teach her to respect down time.

Do not believe everything you read on the internet, or what people tell you about Border Collies.

You are going to have fun with her!

You may enjoy reading Do Border Collies Dream of Sheep where you learn about the early lives of litter sisters; one is trained to work sheep while the other goes to NYC.

It will be more than just okay if you provide enough mental and physical stimulation/exercise for your dog; where enough is dependent upon the personality of your dog.

Is there anyway this is going to work out, for her to be a pet dog? We have a massive fenced yard, swimming pool and fetch for exercise, are around home a lot, but we don't have "hours a day to devote to walking and exercising" her. All 3 of our Labs have been the hyper reedy field trial variety, (not the mellow, heavy, lay on the couch bench Labs), so we are used to accommodating lots of play and interaction. But not to the degree of hours a day, and we sure don't have anything for her to herd.

Everything you have described here sounds like plenty for a BC/BC mix. I think if you've been able to raise balanced working bred field labs that you'll be just fine with a BC. Now, if you'd said something along the lines of "we got a rescue puppy and it's our first dog, we work long hours, we don't have much time to train or play with the dog, etc." you'd be getting a much different response from people here. A lot of what you read about border collies is very over stated but I'm not sure it's such a bad thing. It's good for people to think twice about the breed and all that it requires to live peaceably with these dogs. Honestly though, from your description of your home and your lifestyle with your previous dogs I don't think you need to worry.

Have fun, enjoy her and my goodness she is cute!!!

I have a bc, a bc/springer, a bc/ Pyrenees and a vizsla mix. Four dogs and 4 totally different personalities. For me the easiest dog is the bc......but I believe it is because he is a male and has a "want to please you personality". Your new pup is adorable and sounds like she will be a wonderful addition to your family.

Mya (9 months) is a BC or bc/mix we got from a shelter, also a smooth coat. She is our only dog at the moment and does absolutely fine at our home. She is wonderful. I play with her before work in the morning (I work from home), then she takes a nap and plays with her toys or chews on her deer antler, at lunch I play with her again and take a walk, then again she is good and naps or plays during the afternoon on her own. then in the evening when done my husband walks her or I do and we play ball or blow bubbles outside for her to chase. We also incorporate the training while playing ball and bubbles each day. She usually crashes around 7:30, gets up to potty before I go to bed and then she is out for the night. She is a wonderful pet and companion.

We have had dogs before, our 15-1/2 year old American Eskimo we lost almost 4 years ago now and our yorkie who also was 15-1/2 almost 5 years ago now. These dogs are very smart and learn very quickly. I don't know how yours is but I have found Mya does not respond well to the sound no if she done something wrong. if doing something I don't want her to it is better to redirect her and show her what I do want rather than the sound but firm no like we did for our other dogs.

^^^^ All of the above. Your situation sounds pretty darn good for a bc or bc mix. I'll echo what others have said about mental stimulation - trick training, nosework, 'help around the house' behaviors - are great for border collies, or any intelligent breed that likes to do things WITH their human(s).

And she is stinkin' cute! Thanks for getting her from a shelter - she's a lucky girl.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

Thank you guys so much, I feel soooo much better. :-)

We do have a lot of dog experience, have always had 2 or 3, puppy to end of life, over our 28 years together. Mom used to do lots of rescues when I was small, ha-always got me to do their basic training while they were waiting for a home. But what I was reading about the breed unnerved me.

Yeah, Field Labs are pretty intense. I always get a giggle, (but try and keep a straight face), when non Lab owners talk about how mellow a Lab they know is, and tell people they should get one for a 1st dog because they are laid back couch potatoes.

I think Mia will do great. She's super smart. LOVES her little tiny "training sessions", some things she is mastering on the 1st session. Seems to have a real knack for language, I am more used to dogs that are more tuned into body language.

She HATES her crate. Had a nice one from when Sera was little, set it up in a quiet spare room. All 3 Labs, Rissy, Madison, Sera, loved to go in there and take an hour nap twice a day. Would put treat, nylabone in, turn on a fan for white sound, close the door, they loved their little safe place. This kid goes NUTS about being put in a crate. Even vocalizes for a couple of minutes after she's out. (?) So I got an open air wire one and put it in the living room instead, turn on TV when I leave for short periods. She's doing better being crated there. Is this a BC thing, or think it could be from being in the more enclosed dark plastic kennel at the shelter for a few weeks?

Does she look mixed to you guys? Do Border Collies have webbed feet? Her feet are as webbed as the Labs. I took her in the pool very briefly, she's pretty young but wanted her to know where the stair out are incase she'd fall in while we are 1/2 way across the yard. She swam well for a youngster. Motored to the stairs by herself the last return. :-)

Will try and post some pix of my "couch potatoes" laying around poolside at different pools we've had for them. :-)

Thanks all, I do just feel so much better!post-16471-0-28073800-1403200813_thumb.jpgpost-16471-0-21430300-1403200860_thumb.jpgpost-16471-0-51142200-1403200920_thumb.jpg

I have a bc, a bc/springer, a bc/ Pyrenees and a vizsla mix. Four dogs and 4 totally different personalities. For me the easiest dog is the bc......but I believe it is because he is a male and has a "want to please you personality". Your new pup is adorable and sounds like she will be a wonderful addition to your family.

I would love to see pictures of these ;)

Wow I must be thinking wrong then because I have never seen a lab that is not high energy!! Everyone person I know that has a lab or even a lab mix it is like let's go, let's go, let's go, throw the ball, throw the ball, throw the ball already LOL!!!

Great pictures of your labs, love them. This is my first bc or bc/mix whichever too but from what I have read and been told they do not have webbed feet so maybe yours is a bc/lab mix?? wouldn't that be perfect ;)

We had a working Lab. I think he was much more demanding on us than our two BC dogs (one from a working line). Given your experience, and the two Labs in the house, it sounds to me like you all will do great together! You already know you can't anticipate exactly how any one dog will be. Just love her and raise her according to how you see her needs reveal themselves. She already has a playmate and buddy, so she's off to a good start.

She HATES her crate. Had a nice one from when Sera was little, set it up in a quiet spare room. All 3 Labs, Rissy, Madison, Sera, loved to go in there and take an hour nap twice a day. Would put treat, nylabone in, turn on a fan for white sound, close the door, they loved their little safe place. This kid goes NUTS about being put in a crate. Even vocalizes for a couple of minutes after she's out. (?) So I got an open air wire one and put it in the living room instead, turn on TV when I leave for short periods. She's doing better being crated there. Is this a BC thing, or think it could be from being in the more enclosed dark plastic kennel at the shelter for a few weeks?

I'd start playing crate games with her to reinforce that the crate is an awesome place. Teach her a "crate up" or "go to bed" (whatever you want to call it) cue and when she goes in reward her. Then let her come right back out again! Make it fun and positive. Switch it up and make her wait before leaving the crate, reward her for staying in. Feed her meals in the crate with the door open and/or give her extra special treats in the crate (bully sticks, kongs stuffed with peanut butter, etc.).

She *may* have a negative association with the crate because of her experience at the shelter. Switching to a wire crate seems to have helped but you want to change her perception of the experience of being crated all together. If every time she goes into the crate the door closes behind her and you leave for a bit that's what she'll associate the crate with. Try to give her lots of good experiences with the crate, associate it with the best things in life and encourage her to freely move into and out of the crate throughout the day so she doesn't always think the door is gonna' shut behind her.

And finally, puppies will be puppies. It sounds like you already know this part but I'll say it anyways. If she's had plenty of exercise and mental stimulation and still makes a fuss when she goes in the crate you'll probably just want to wait her out. If you take her out while she's throwing a fit your little smarty pants will quickly figure out that bad behavior is her ticket out of the crate. Wait until she's calm (or at least quiet) before you let her out of the crate and she'll learn that throwing a fit gets her nowhere.

It's so difficult to tell at her age what she is, but from the first picture you posted I could easily imagine her being a BC mix. As she gets older it might be easier to tell from her looks but also behavior can be a big clue! Heck, whatever she is it's clear she's already stolen your hearts. ;)

She does look rather mixy to me, but soooo hard to tell this age. The ears look Labby to me, but then ears like that aren't unheard of in border collies.

Yes, border collies have webbed feet. And many of them love to swim.

I think she'll be just fine with you. ;)

post-16471-0-02245800-1403222723_thumb.jpgpost-16471-0-62501000-1403222621_thumb.jpg

Thank you guys so much for your support. Could you tell I was stressing out about all the bad stuff I had read? :-) Mark, the book looks great, I can't wait to get a copy. Maralynn, Camden's Mom, Medic09, your comments really helped. I kinda felt like the field Labs are a handful, after raising and living with 3. I know I am up to THAT task, so I feel better I'll have enough energy/experience/leadership for her. Urge to heard, yeah, we just really wanted to do a "rescue" pup. Were communicating with the shelter originally about a different "Lab/Beagle" mix pup that got adopted a day after we inquired, and had an appointment to travel there. The shelter manager called with a different "Lab/Beagle" mix pup a couple hours after that, said she needed out of there. So I just kept the same appointment per our phone call. Had just studied Beagles, (already know about Labs). Sounded good, ha-like an easy go, (as far as any pup can be). Met her siblings that she was dumped with right before we left, one boy, (looks like a dead ringer for a small yellow Lab with a spotted nose), one girl, more spotted with longer "socks". Got home and checked on the siblings, boy was supposed to be adopted, but the fact they were found with coccidia changed the adopter's minds. (The shelter's Vet treated them, and Mia is past that, according to my Vet.) Saw "Border Collie" on the listing for the sister, enquired. Manager said someone else did the Pet Finder Postings, was wrong, she'd been doing this 30 years ...assured me Mia was a Beagle/Lab mix. So I let it go, doesn't matter so much, a life saved is a life saved. Ha- then everyone else started saying BC, which I knew nothing about. I do worry about the poor little brother and sister, am still keeping tabs on them. Their names are Allie and Winston, they are at Stover, MO Animal Shelter if you want to have a look or know someone that may be looking. Both friendly, little boy Winston, very mellow. It's a tiny town in the middle of "nowhere" we drove 7 hours round trip to get Mia. Mom of Mya, you're so funny, you have Labs down. Ball? No? OK. How about now? No? OK. Now? Is this a better time, ...it is getting dark you know? :-) Heehee. Medic09, you are on to something, I think having a good dog buddy/teacher is very valuable. Thanks so much for all your help you guys. Was worried I'd adopted something I couldn't handle.

With dumped puppies it's always hard to know for sure. I adopted a puppy that the shelter swore up and down was a border/golden mix, but the way she acts makes me think she is a pure border collie... The only thing I haven't seen her do is the herding stance that my pure border collie puppy does, so she may be a mix.

However to answer your question my border collies are way calmer than my mom's lab was. They will fetch and run with us for hours, but if we are just hanging out they have no issues just lounging around the house. If you can keep up with a field Lab a Border Collie will be about the same. If you have issues with your pup destroying things than you can invest in a couple puzzle toys to keep the pup entertained.

Cass C, yeah this whole experience reminds me of a cute story. We moved down south almost 2 years ago, after having lived in Omaha, NE for 30+ years each. We both volunteered for GRINN, (Golden Retriever Rescue in Nebraska), in our pasts. Ha-if you "keep" a foster dog, they say you have earned an "F" in foster. :-) As you are supposed to pass them along, and be ready to take on the next emergency. :-) Someone very high up there got an "F" in foster, ... fell in love with this obvious "pure" golden. Later, they did DNA on him, haha, he was 4 things, ...but NO GOLDEN what so ever, closest thing being "Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever". Dead ringer for a pure though. :-) So yeah, who knows. Your kids are sure cute! :-) Teri

What the others said: if you can handle two field labs you will do fine with a border collie, no worries.

And, that puppy is utterly precious. :wub:

Welcome to the world of border collies, and to the boards here. You will find a wealth of information and support here.

if you "keep" a foster dog, they say you have earned an "F" in foster. :-) As you are supposed to pass them along, and be ready to take on the next emergency. :-) Someone very high up there got an "F" in foster, ...

Our rescue calls them failed fosters. Same idea. ;) I have a failed foster myself.