BC Boards

Naming the puppy - suggestions please

Twill is used as both a dog's and bitch's name. [ETA: Like GentleLake above], I have often thought that Twill would be a good name for a Border Collie. It is connected by a thread to the popular name Tweed (and the wool industry), yet has, IMO, connotations more appropriate to Border Collie culture.

One reason I'd liked it was because it's actually the etymological precursor to the word "tweed", so it just seemed perfect to me, especially as it sounded more feminine (the pup I was naming was female) to me and not nearly so widely used.

As much as love the name, I can't name a dog the same name as a previous dog (they're all too individual and so need their own names), so I'll never use it again. Would be happy to hear another dog named Twill, though.

ETA: GentleLake, I did not read this thread thoroughly enough before posting, and somehow overlooked your great suggestion. I agree with you :) .

No worries. Great minds and all. B)

Mark beat me to it (I've had Rae for 5 years now)...and I used to think that it was a necessity to have a name that was very different from a command. She proved me wrong, as we had a good go together and even finished our last year as the VBCA Open champions. Never had a misunderstanding and she certainly wasn't a slouch of a dog.

My dogs who have lightning fast responses and are quick to anticipate: I've found that to be a training opportunity. Too impulsive. They would respond to "purple" or any other nonsensical command and either come forward or flank. Doesn't have anything to do with their name, a lack of understanding of the command, or a mix-up. So my vote is to go with whatever name you like!

For Kristine: I also remember you said you liked Timber at one time.If Timber is a possible name, a variation is Kimber. Yes, Kim is a female name in the States, but I knew of a Kim (male) of English heritage.

Ben completely nixed Timber. It was my favorite name for a while. I was going to spell it Timbre for the musical connection (but still say Timber). But it has been officially ruled out.

But now that Alder is my match, I don't see him as a Timber, so it's all good. :)

Oooh, I love the name Tate! I vote you just name him in secret, the husband's opinion has been ruled out, he's too picky. :D

Everyone in my family didn't really like 'Feist' and insisted they'd never get used to it-of course now they all love it.

I love Tate!

I had another name picked for my Fee. Which was gently disapproved of by her breeder. The German word Fee is a small magical being. A fairy of sort. Fee vom Havixbeck was also one of my father's successful mounts in the jumping arena. What I did however not consider, was the english pronunciation....so often it ends up sounding like having to pay a fee. Oh well...now call he Fi Fi and the fight is on!

My big girl Strydor, had her name picked out before I ever met her.

Lots of good names on this list. It's always easier once you see your puppy, interact with your new guy, and get a feel for him (her). ---I'm understanding the pup will be a boy, right?

I like: Blackie, Tinder (not timber), Cinder, Wind, Crow, Captain, Blake, Dug, Dig, Franco (Frankie and Frank for short), Hunter, Trey, Surge, Dodge, Carver, Prince, King, Brink.... just to name a few... so many, and so easy when it's not your guy you're naming.

Nate

I keep a list of potential puppy names in my wallet. :) I'm lame like that.

I know a Tate - his nickname is Tater-tot, too. He's actual my Devon's brother.

PS - all these puppies are killing me!!! I have to wait for next winter for my potential new pack member....

Ok, I had a sled dog named Toast. I have always liked that name.

But I also have a stockdog named- Tathiska Nika

Tickman.

But those who know him, know he goes by a uh er more descriptive title..