BC Boards

Where To Buy a Leather Collar?

I'm looking to buy a leather collar for Duke. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good place to purchase? I found a site called "Gun Dog Supply" (google, I don't know how to link) that seems to be pretty good-good reviews too. It looks like their shipping is 30 bucks though. Anyone have any other places to buy from that are good quality? Thanks!

The Gun Dog Supply collars hold up very well, and I love the ones with the ring in the collar, like this one. Here's a great benefit of having a border collie. All those gun dogs must be big Labs, because this puppy size collar ($5.99!!) is big enough for lots of border collies. I have them engrave my name and two phone numbers on the free brass plate. I don't usually like to put the dog's name in his collar.

http://gundogsupply.com/3-4in-k9k-leather-center-ring-collar.html

Just wanted to share this thread as well. It was from a few months ago but really helped me in picking my dog's new collar. http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=35710

Seems almost everyone on these boards orders from Gun Dog Supply and my experience with them was great.

I decided I didn't want to deal with the extra upkeep of a real leather collar. I have a dog who loves to swim and enjoys being out in the elements, so a waterproof material was appealing to me. I ended up going (originally) with the "durasoft" collar: http://www.gundogsupply.com/durasoft-black.html Sadly, the 1" durasoft collar was just too big for him: too long, too wide and far too heavy.

I recently ordered the 3/4" tufflex collar: http://www.gundogsupply.com/k-9-komfort-center-ring-w--dee-3-4--collar.html I have been very, very happy with this one. The material is similar to the durasoft but lighter weight. It is a nonabsorbent material that looks and feels flexible like leather but dirt cleans off easily with just a wet towel. Anyways, I wanted to share the other conversation and a few non-leather options for you to consider depending on your needs.

Of course, after touting the non leather options I'm now day dreaming about Maja's gorgeous hand crafted collars! wow! Those are pretty hard to resist. Beautiful work, Maja!

I also have Gun Dog Supply collars.

I also make my own.

I also use a local saddle/leather shop to make custom ones if it is above my paygrade.

I also have ordered "going to town" collars that have held up well but are too nice to get too dirty form different people on FB.

Extra upkeep of leather? I've not a done a thing to my dogs' collars. They get wet daily in summer (jumping into stock tanks to cool off, swimming) and their collars don't smell and still look great. In fact, they look and feel better than when they were new.

Extra upkeep of leather? I've not a done a thing to my dogs' collars. They get wet daily in summer (jumping into stock tanks to cool off, swimming) and their collars don't smell and still look great. In fact, they look and feel better than when they were new.

Oh! I have no first hand experience with leather collars but I had read that they need to be oiled regularly and that they can crack or start to stink if they get wet too often (especially in salt water).

My mistake though, I was going off of assumption! Sorry! ^_^

We have shipped to the US, and various places in Europe. One dog in the US actually got found very quickly because of the telephone number we put on the collar for free. She is scared of thunder and ran off. Strangely, it costs the same to ship in Europe as it is to the US, so about 4-5 Euros.

For leather collars one must remember that there is leather and there is leather. Our leather is cut from hide. In order to be hand crafted it is vegetable tanned; it is the same leather that good tack is made of - so horse people will know how to treat it.

It is dyed with water proof finish, but it needs more care than the cheaper, glued, two-ply, painted lacquered stuff - but this cheap stuff is very good - it lasts a long time with little care. So you need to think what you need.

I like for my dogs to look really sharp so I have special fancy sets.

1472088_402108123253297_2145929177_n.jpg

1458712_402108193253290_2041728137_n.jpg

FWIW Camden's Mom, I quit using leather because the collars tended to give out around the riveted nameplate after a period of time, even with regular oiling. My dogs did A LOT of swimming back then, though, and in salt/brackish water as well as fresh. The collars didn't disintegrate right away by any means, but they did eventually break. Still, if you like leather, the collars from GDS are cheap enough to try without a great investment. I use the Tufflex collars now, but because I don't have the same access to swimming spots as I once did, I could probably go back to leather collars without a problem. But no sense in ditching the Tufflex collars when they're still in such great shape!

Anyway, I just wanted to note that your assumption wasn't entirely wrong. Much depends on your dog's lifestyle.

J.

Mine is

My cell

Husbands cell

Street address, city

I put the address because I live in a town and if people find your dog and its only a block or two away, they walk the dog home, I have done it, had it done for me. Just the other day I was coming and stopped because I saw a dog obviously on the lam, checked his tag and he lived across the street and I walked him back just as his owner was coming out to find her escape artist.., easy fix.

I'm still on the fence about putting the dog's name on the tags.

Some people argue that it makes it easier for someone to steal or keep the dog, though I'm not really sure how.

OTOH, I've seen dogs visibly relax when a person calls them by their names, so it would seem to me to maybe be less stressful on the dog if whoever finds them is able to do that.

I don't know . . .

think the telephone is the most helpful for a quick return. Actually the idea came to my head when we had a guest stay with my country bumpkins. Bonnie's younger sister came and was promptly countrified by a heavy duty romp in the field and the dangly address tag was gone before we knew it.

As for the name: if someone steal the dog, it may be easier for them to look legit if they call the the dog by its name and the dog reacts. But if someone finds it, as stated earlier, it makes the dog feel safer when someone calls its name.

Oh, and I am sure you guys never thought of it. But I have also something for the owners.

A bracelet with the names of your dogs.

So that if you get lost.

And a dog finds you.

It can read your bracelet and know which dog to return you to.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

67892_10201974719307439_783304809_n.jpg

(We regret to inform you we are not able to provide the address on the bracelets in a canine-readable form. You have to ask your dog to do it)

• 4 months later...

Well, despite saying my leather collars are fine, they are really starting to degrade this summer. I decided to try those new Tufflex collars from gundogsupply. My old leather collars from them are stamped 19s, I've gone through several rounds of collars from that company and I always get the same size, so I ordered the 19s Tufflex. They came in the mail today and they are HUGE (don't fit). I compared them to the dogs' current collars. The new Tufflex collars are a full 5 inches longer than the old leather collars. Really upset because I spent so much money to get them. I wrote an e-mail to the company and am waiting to hear back from them.