BC Boards

Where To Buy a Leather Collar?

Also of note (may have talked about this on other collar threads don't remember).. I destroyed a beautiful $40 leather collar with sea water.. I had treated it gently and brushed on a little neatsfoot oil to keep freshwater out. I tried my best to keep it polished and free of dog filth, but sea water totally rotted the collar inside out - ye-uck. If you plan on doing ocean runs, get a Medium Headwater collar from Ruffwear - going on a year and the damn thing still looks new. http://www.ruffwear.com/Headwater-Collar_2

(also went with biothane and brass from http://www.dogsportgear.ca for her leash because filthy hiking monster)

14591221542_3b1bbb77f9_z.jpg

-Rich

Well, despite saying my leather collars are fine, they are really starting to degrade this summer. I decided to try those new Tufflex collars from gundogsupply. My old leather collars from them are stamped 19s, I've gone through several rounds of collars from that company and I always get the same size, so I ordered the 19s Tufflex. They came in the mail today and they are HUGE (don't fit). I compared them to the dogs' current collars. The new Tufflex collars are a full 5 inches longer than the old leather collars. Really upset because I spent so much money to get them. I wrote an e-mail to the company and am waiting to hear back from them.

I think I bought a 17 for my 40 lb dog. There is an old saying in the building trades-- "measure twice, cut once" ;)

Can you poke a hole in the appropriate location? Or does the nameplate get in the way?

If you're going from a standard collar to a center ring, the measurement is different. GDS has measurement instructions on every ordering page--even where you pick the size it says "carefully measure dog's neck." My smaller dogs wear the 14NS (11-13") and the larger ones wear the 16NS (15-17"). I always buy the 3/4" collars (puppy collars) because I don't like the wider collars.

Anyway, they've always been great to work with and I'm sure they'll do what they can to resolve Liz's issue.

J.

I've been ordering the 19s center ring style collar from them for about 15 years. Never had a problem with them fitting. They must have changed the way they are cut since I last ordered collars. It's a good company, so I am sure they will resolve the issue. Just warning others so they don't make the same mistake.

Yes, the name plate prevents me from punching a hole to make them smaller.

They will be replacing the collars with smaller ones. I feel bad I ordered the wrong size to begin with. I thought 19s was a consistent size, but they told me that they actually cut the material differently so there is a difference in size. It had nothing to do with center ring or standard style. My old leather collars were also center ring.

Julie, what material are your 3/4 inch collars?

I've never liked wide collars either, but have been rethinking this recently.

I'm thinking narrower collars could do more neck damage if a dog pulls (one of mine does -- still working on that) or if they come up short on their leashes for some reason. Bodhi doesn't pull, but his leash got caught on a chair at the library recently as he was running to get his good-bye treat from the librarian. (It's sort of a game. We all drop the dogs' leashes and tell them to go get their treats. Pretty amusing to see the stampede.) His leash caught under a a shelf corner and he hit the end of the leash hard. Ouch! Really made me cringe.

Seems to me that even a little bit wider would distribute the impact somewhat.

Maja - You make such beautiful collars! Gorgeous!

Our collars have our names (not the dog's name), my phone number, and a family member's phone number. The tags we have now only have three lines. When I have a collar with a four-line tag, the top tag reads "reward"; then our name; and we have both phone numbers.

I initially ordered the 1" duraflex and it was just too big... also the material was very heavy. I've since gotten the 3/4" tuflex which is lighter and the size seems much more appropriate for Camden who weighs in at 40 lbs.

Liz, sorry to hear there was confusion on the sizing. Sounds like GDS lived up to their reputation and were willing to work with you though, which is great news. Let us know how the tuflex material works once your pack starts sporting them. I've been very happy with the material but I know your dogs live a much more rugged existence (that's a compliment, btw :) ) and I'm interested to hear how they hold up!

• 3 months later...

I meant to reply a long time ago but I kept forgetting. I got the leather collar from Gundog Supply-here is a picture of Duke modeling it.

IMG_0782_zpse43da783.jpg

When the time comes for Bonny to get one, I think I'm gonna get Tuflex collar. I think I'll like it better than leather..... Plus they can wear 'em at the beach too. No having to switch.

I got leather collars from Ryan's pet supplies six years ago and they are still in great shape. (Of course, we do not go into water let alone sea water).

I don't do that because I've moved a lot and because in some areas I have lived if the address is close by people will assume the dog is fine and let it go.

My solution to that is that on every animal's tag it reads " If I am loose, I am lost. Please call my mom".

I know it's a little precious to put "please call my mom", and I am not usually like that. But after thinking it over I decided that it might make a person more likely to call if they thought of it that way. And I don't care how foolish I look if my animal is missing; I will do anything to get them back.