BC Boards

Head Tremors

RichardH

Over the last few weeks, I've noticed Nessie has developed a head tremor that lasts bout 20-30 seconds. It doesn't seem to bother her. She responds to me and her behavior is otherwise normal - it's an involuntary shaking. Has anyone seen anything like this in their dogs? It's pretty intermittent and usually happens when she's relaxed at home. Not much has changed about her routine or food. If anything, she's had more attention than normal and a brief boarding stay. I've seen it happen 3 or 4 times across the weeks. I got a video of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ymqcfgfhfM

-Rich

Did I see Nessie's symptoms reduce just a little when it seemed as though the electric guitar music in the background had been turned down in volume? Of course, the moment you called her to you she seemed to be okay.

My dog as a puppy didn't like Jerry Lee Lewis' frenetic piano rock 'n roll music (e.g. goodness gracious, "Great Balls of Fire"). She would become alert and excited, and sometimes misbehave. I just now found a YouTube version and played it. She showed no reaction, but she is 6 years older. I think dogs can react to sounds and music.

Just a long shot to weigh-in with others' thoughts. Hope you figure it out, and that Nessie is OK. -- Best wishes, TEC

Doesn't seem music related as she has done it just as pronounced when I was quietly reading. I'll drop by the vet and see if he's got any ideas. She controls it after a bit of interaction with me and it seems to be something that happens when she wakes up. She's almost 2 years old (22 mo)

-Rich

I haven't counted, but I third or fourth the vet visit with video. I've seen something like this before, but the dog's vision and balance centers were affected. However, I don't know how long it had been having symptoms before it was brought in either.

Some breeds are prone to what's known as "idiopathic head tremors" (we see it in bully breeds most frequently) but I don't think border collies are on that breed list. Tweed suffered from partial focal seizures when he was a puppy, and they looked like this. I agree a vet visit is a good plan, if for nothing else other than peace of mind.

RDM

So I went to the vet and he could definitely see a different response in her eye dilation on the left eye. He said it may be caused by a swelling in the brain (maybe infection - maybe head trauma) and put her on prednisone for a week. He was not totally convinced that it wasn't a congenital defect and I may need to follow up with a neurologist if symptoms get worse or start to bother her.

-Rich

• 4 months later...

Well it's been almost 5 months without a recurrence, so I guess I should update this thread. I had her on prednisone for a couple of weeks back in January and that seemed to have nailed it. Still have no idea what she might have had, but I'm pretty thankful it hasn't returned... Her eyes react at the same speed now and I haven't seen any shaking since about a day after I started the drugs. Speaking of prednisone.. I don't think I've ever seen my dog drink 3 big bowls of water in a day :P weird effects on her appetite for sure.

-Rich