BC Boards

"sorry, not the right kind of pants..."

So, here's a phrase that gets repeated in my house: "sorry, not the right kind of pants..." Its said to the dogs who are moping away from us. My dogs determine whats happening in their lives by sniffing the pants we put on.

If we move into the bedroom to get dressed, they follow us closely and crowd around our legs to see what we are putting on.

Sweats or PJ bottoms? oh, bummer...no excitement, we are just hanging around the house.

Work pants (or scrubs in my DH's case)? even more sadness, we are leaving them...dogs go sit next to their crates to await their "kennel up" cookie and our imminent departure.

clean jeans or shorts? hey now...low level excitement, we may be taking them somewhere! dog classes happen in clean jeans...Lowes and feed store happen in clean jeans...

dirty jeans or shorts? Over-the-top excitement! Yard clothes! frisbee is imminent! agilities can happen! we are going outside for fun stuffs!

And if my DH puts on the lawn mowing jeans the Border Collie goes bonkers! When DH mows, he and the BC have a game (before anyone gets worried, theres zero danger to the dog, its a push mower, man watches carefully and dog doesn't get very close to the mower) where the dog places the ball carefully next to the path the man and mower take, and when man gets to the ball, he stops and gives it a long range kick. Border Collie heaven.

Pants.

Dogs are funny.

I work from home too. Guess that's why it's shoes for us. Slippers mean work, barn shoes mean woot woot, dress shoes....those are just barn shoes that haven't gotten dirty yet! Yep its shoes and I swear they can read my mind....even thinking about shoes or barn things gets Dew up from the basement! Keys mean sit and look really expectant cause ya never know who I'll pick! I call names at the front door, sad day if your name isn't called but really mick doesn't want to go anywhere and ray can't hear so its all Dew or Faye with the pick me faces

I work for Animal Control so all of my clothes are EXCITING EVERY DAY because they smell absolutely fascinating. I wear scrubs to work, don't really bother to change when I get home and walk my dogs in the morning in my pajamas, so all of my clothes have the potential to be incredibly interesting as far as dogs are concerned.

RDM

It's happy time when I slip on my muck boots. That means working sheep or at least going to the barn and pasture. They even know where they are in the closet and check every few hours to see if they have been moved.

My dogs must be thinking ahead - it's socks that get them all aquiver! They know that when the socks go on, the shoes will be going on shortly! And shoes mean we are going out!

They do know what different clothes mean - if they see me getting out and putting on "Sunday clothes", they go to their crates in anticipation of us heading off to church. If they see me taking a shower during the day, it's the same thing because they know I'm getting cleaned up to go out, and I don't mean out to walk dogs or work cattle. If I'm putting on my "work shorts" or jeans, they get very interested...

Not bad for an animal that can't understand two or more words strung together (see "Told Off at Obedience").

Oh, touching the water bottle means a walk is imminent. Also putting on my shoes that tie, as opposed to my sandals, pulling on a sweater, going in the laundry room where the door to OUTSIDE is located.

Unfortunately for Gibbs, I wear a lot of the same clothes to work as I wear to walk him, at least in the nicer months. Slacks and a polo shirt are good work attire for me, and they're fine to go for a nice brisk walk, too. It's the water bottle that's the dead giveaway.

Ruth and Agent Gibbs

Sheena do you ever worry about bringing something home on your clothes that might pass on to your dogs?

My son was volunteering at our animal control, his clothes were like a giant newspaper to the pups but I worried a bit.

Nope, I don't. My dogs are healthy/robust and, for the most part, I do not handle strays. I have staff that does that - I mainly deal with/handle dogs who are well past their stray hold and therefore have been quarantined for disease control already. Often a bring a dog or two to work with me, and I often foster dogs from the shelter as well, so we are already one big soup.

I do, however, worry about bringing stuff home to the cats. Nasty, yucky, feral cats and their nasty, yucky diseases.

RDM

Meg knows that work clothes mean she doesn't get to go...so she follows me around until I pick up my bag and then she goes to pout in the corner as I walk out the door.

Any other clothes means there's a good chance that she gets to go (or at least go out to play) and she sticks to me like glue to make sure I don't leave her behind. My 'dog shoes' means she's definitely going and she gets very excited.

Bear knows that 'dog shoes' means he can probably come too so he follows me around too waiting for me to grab his leash. However, 'dog shoes' plus 'agility bag' means he has to stay home and he grabs a toy and lays in his favorite spot to wait until we get home (when its his job clean out any left over treat from my pockets).