BC Boards

O/T - A special moose in N. Ontario

For all those folks who thought moose only came in brown....think again. These are real moose (no photoshop involved). Apparently in this area of N. Ontario, there are a number of albino moose. I don't understand genetics, but would this be some sort of recessive gene?

WhiteMoose002.jpg

WhiteMoose005.jpg

WhiteMoose009.jpg

LOL....It's Meese...just kidding...as far as I know, it's moose as in "I saw a moose" or I saw a couple of moose". Actually, I don't recall very often seeing more than one at a time unless it was a cow with calves....and that is really neat to see. The calves are sooooo ugly...they're cute :rolleyes:

They look really cool moose!

Moose (single)

or Moose (plural)

Same thing. :rolleyes:

It would be the same kind of gene that gives you an albino rat (or dog, or bunny, or cat, or mouse.......) and it would with out a doubt be recessive.

Very cool looking though....

My sister lives in Thunder Bay and I can remember her talking about an albino moose that was often sighted several years ago now. Or, maybe it wasn't always the same moose, maybe there were more than one, as in your pictures. I would guess that there must be a lot of "albinism" (sp?) in the gene pool in your area. The albino gene shouldn't be dominant, I would think both parents would have to have a recessive albino gene to bring it out in the offspring, and the fact that there are 2 or more albino moose must mean something. I don't know if it's possible for the albino gene to become dominant, or if maybe there are just a lot of moose around there with a recessive albino genes which when combined are bringing out the albino colouration.

"Oh my goodness" is what I said when i saw the pics. ( I'm a polite girl ! )I've seen "regular" brown moose when I was in Canada and that was pretty amazing ( for a Brit )

And LOL to Laurie !

Thanks for posting that - they are pretty amazing. They seem to be pretty well known, one of my bus mechanic friends goes camping near there and says he's often seen them.

At least they are easier to spot while driving - unless its foggy!