BC Boards

Has Anyone Heard How Kit is Doing?

The homecoming pictures were from September 28th, and poor Kit went back to the vet and into a second surgery on September 30th. Nancy's last post was after Kit came out of the second surgery, which the vet believed finally got all the dead tissue:

She's out of surgery and the vet feels confident they've determined the cause of her relapse and repaired it. There appeared to be some tissue dying at the site of the original resection, so another resection was done. I don't know how long they'd like to keep her this time, but I plan on visiting her tomorrow. My poor dear Kit. It was a week ago today that she began to show symptoms. I hope the next several days pass without incident. Please keep her in your thoughts.

I hope Nancy has good news for us. I think we all identify very, very strongly with other board members when they are in these difficult situations and even though we may not know the person "in person," we care and worry a lot!

The homecoming pictures were from September 28th, and poor Kit went back to the vet and into a second surgery on September 30th. Nancy's last post was after Kit came out of the second surgery, which the vet believed finally got all the dead tissue:

I hope Nancy has good news for us. I think we all identify very, very strongly with other board members when they are in these difficult situations and even though we may not know the person "in person," we care and worry a lot!

EEP! Thanks for correcting my misinformation, Jan! I should have followed the timeline better! Sorry!

I'm going to delete my boo-boo post.

Kit's back home again! She wasn't scheduled to be released today but it looks like the stars aligned just right (well--that, and I'm a pest;) .

When I visited her yesterday she was still very doped up on IV pain meds. There are several vets at this practice and Kit has seen 3 of them through this ordeal. The animal hospital is closed on Sundays but I asked Dr.A, the vet who did the second surgery, if there was any chance she could arrange for me to come by see Kit today, even thought they're closed Sundays. I know they have kennel staff and a vet tech there Sundays and the practice is large enough that there's usually someone for an emergency. Dr A told me she'd be manning their booth at the big dog adoption fair that was held today on the courthouse plaza, and she very kindly agreed to arrange it with the vet tech for me to come by after 4:00 pm today to visit Kit. When I saw Dr A at the adoption fair this morning, she told me she Kit was doing very well this morning, and had eagerly eaten small amounts of food offered. She felt very encouraged.

So at 4:02 I drove the 2 miles to my vet's office from my home. And just as I was pulling into the parking space, what do I see right in front of me, but the kennel worker walking a dog, and who's that dog prancing ahead, tail up, on the end of the leash in front of him--it's Kit! He's watchng me pull in, and I shouted out my car window, Wait!!-- that's my dog-- as I bolted out of the car. Kit's wagging her tail and smiling and pulling him toward me and she trying to jump up on me. I hugged her and buried my face in her rough, and as soon as I let go, she strained toward my car door.

So I asked the kennel guy what her care schedule is for the remainder of the evening, and determining that she was no longer getting IV and that everyone would be gone after 7:00., I asked if he could find out if I could bring her home right then. It just so happened that Dr C, the vet who did the first surgery, had just then arrived at the clinic, and his wife is Dr A, the vet who did the second surgery, and he was talking on his cell to her. So he hands me the phone, and she agreed that I could take Kit home!

So I'm feeling very relieved and incredibly drained, but I wanted to brief all you fabulous folks who have been pulling for us. I'll check in again tomorrow. Thank you, thank you for all your well wishes. Having this community is such a comfort!!

Wonderful news. So glad she's home. They seem to recuperate much faster at home....not to mention the lessening of stress factor when we can actually see them and put our hands on them. Here's hoping for a smooth road to total recovery. :)

Today Kit is one week post (2nd) resection surgery, and she continues to progress. She's feeling well enough to give me some of that red-headed attitude, and has no qualms about attacking me in the back of the knees with her cone to make a point. The biggest cause for celebration came yesterday when she finally had her first poop since I brought her back home on Sun! I was so thrilled I wanted to gild it :D

Her appetite is ravenous, but she is still on a very restricted diet. Yesterday she nearly took my hand off as I was putting down her food bowl. She's down 8 lbs from her former weight, which was lean to begin with. She is so shriveled that the cone that fit her after her first surgery keeps slipping down her scrawny neck, which was then giving her enough room to bother her incision, thus the additional "neck brace" she is now sporting. Monday evening she managed to pop some surgical staples (I found 7 in her bed when I washed it). So back to the vet she went on Tues. Luckily the incision was adhering so not a major deal.

I'm finally able to sleep through the night without waking up to check on her 10 times a night. And she's returning more and more back to her happy self.

post-3160-082291100 1318005515_thumb.jpg

I always thought it was only Moms who had those poop announcements. Then I got a dog. And a cat. And my friend got horses.

Archived