BC Boards

Found dog with USBCHA collar

Lana

The Salt Lake County, Utah Animal Services, picked up a female Tri colored with

a split face on Sept 5th. She was wearing a collar with a tag that reads USBCHA

National Cattledog Finals Competitor 2005, Big Lake Texas. Does anyone know of a

dog missing or sold to someone in this area that fits this description? SLCAS

phone # is 801-559-1113.

Sad to say this not Loren Holmes dog that he lost 2.5 years ago on the way home

from the finals. Not that many people would have this collar so please cross

post!

I picture is also available.

Lana Rowley

I just looked at the shelter web page, and the shelter workers think she is about 2.5yrs old. Could be a dog that belonged to someone who also had an older dog competing 5 years ago?

Link: SLC Animal Shelter Search Page

The dog's identified as ID#A345878, named "Trixie" by the shelter workers. Let's ask around and get this girl home!

Hello everyone,

Lana just posted on Facebook that this dog's breeder has recognized her, and she will be contacting the owner today. It sounds like a happy ending for this little girl!!!!

Regards,

nancy

I wonder, just wonder, if that collar could have come from Loren's dog.

Hey Sue,

A friend recently found a border collie running down the center of a busy highway and picked her up. As she had a collar with a nameplate, she called the number. The person answering said he had lost a hunting dog (lost from the kennel, not while out hunting) with that collar on it. There was a bit of a comedy sketch there as my friend was confused as to whether he knew what a border collie looked like; he was likely wondering why she couldn't tell a border collie from a hunting dog (hound). It turns out the collar was indeed his collar, and the one that had been on the dog he lost, but the dog was not his.

I still wonder why anyone would take a collar with someone else's information on it and put it on their own dog, as appears to have been the case with the border collie my friend found (unless the owner of the collar just lied and didn't want the dog back, but then it was a pretty elaborate lie if that was the case).

So I guess although it seems this dog's owner will be (or has already been) found, apparently if you find a dog you can't always trust that the collar it's wearing wasn't taken from some other dog (for example, the dog Loren lost)....

As for the dog in the original post, I was really just wondering if the owners were even actively searching for the dog, especially given that she was posted all over the Internet.

J.

IIRC, when Kristi's Wick came to me from the shelter, she came with a collar and tag that I never bothered to take off. When Kristi called the shelter asking questions about the tag, it turned out the collar and tag had belonged to an owner surrender that was euthanized and the shelter had simply put the "spare" collar on Wick to release her to the transport.

Twice I have pulled dogs from shelters with another dog's information written in Sharpie on the inside of the collar, which I only saw when I removed the collar from the dog. I gather the shelters just take the collars and hang them up somewhere, and use them liberally.

My old roommate adopted a dog from the shelter that had an ear tattoo. It had been put there by the shelter hospital a few years before when the dog was spayed. She got the information from the clinic and called the old owner, who didn't want the dog back, but had always wondered what happened to the dog (who had run off, and was picked up by the shelter) because the shelter had never called her. Apparently they didn't notice the tattoo in her ear, even though they had put it there!

RDM

Hey all ~

I just called Salt Lake and the shelter found a message on their phone this morning that the owner is coming to pick this little girl up! So they're just waiting for someone to collect her! What wonderful example of the "BC network" in action! :rolleyes:

From what I gather, one of the many people spreading the word reached someone who turned out to be this dog's breeder breeder. They in turn contacted the owner and voila, one happy ending. :D I'm curious how the poor girl got lost in the first place, but I dunno if we'll ever hear. I'm just glad this ends well!

Cheers ~

Gloria

.....As for the dog in the original post, I was really just wondering if the owners were even actively searching for the dog, especially given that she was posted all over the Internet.

J.

I thought of that, too ... But then I also thought that a lot of these ranchers and farmers out here don't have a clue about the sheepdog network on the internet, and wouldn't even think to look online. All they'd know to do is call the local shelter and stick a poster in the neighborhood feed store. If the dog traveled or was taken to another county ... the owner might never know. After all, we don't know if she still belongs to whomever trialed her in Texas in 2005.

I'm curious if the dog was found in the same area in which she got lost, or if she's miles from where the owner last saw her. Probably we'll never know. I am, however, heaving a sigh of relief at this good ending. :rolleyes: Geez, how many hundreds of folks ultimately got involved in spreading the word of this? Hee!

Cheers ~

Gloria

Nancy,

It was actually posted by a number of folks--you'd see it if any of those people were your friends on FB and they also posted it. This is one of those things where, for example, someone I know posts it and all their friends see it, including me. If I and any of their other friends (who may not be my friends) repost it, then it spreads out amongst all our friends far and wide....

J.

Hey Gloria,

I wasn't thinking that the owners might have seen the dog on the Internet, but I was just wondering if they had been actually searching. If I lost a dog, I'd probably call the breeder to tell them that, just in case. Obviously not everyone would do that, but it just got me wondering if the owners were actively seeking this dog, since someone saw her listed at the shelter and posted it and started this thing that ended up here, on FB, and a number of e-mail lists I'm on, and so on. As you said, we'll probably never know the whole story...

J.

I agree, Julie! If I lost one of my dogs, I'd be living in a tent in the desert, if that's what it took to find them. :rolleyes:

I haven't had Nick microchipped, have been a bit uncertain about that, but now I'm thinking I might ...

It is pretty amazing how "viral" this whole thing went! Without the internet, this poor little dog might have stayed lost forever.

Cheers ~

Gloria

Julie, as to Facebook, you've solved my problem. And it isn't really a problem, I guess.

I have a severely limited number of "friends". Basically, family members (young, of course) who won't keep in touch any other way.

So I haven't missed a thing to click on or such. That's what I worried about.

Archived