BC Boards

Looking For A Border Collie Breeder

My whole family, and I have decided that a Border Collie is the dog for us. I have been training dogs in agility, rally, obedience, and conformation for a good

amount of time and would love to get a new dog, so I can do more. I am looking for a puppy that can do conformation as well as performance events.

I would really like a young puppy aka eight weeks and at most nine weeks., so I can mold it into a nice performance dog. I do not really mind where the puppy is, since I don't mind traveling to go view it. Thank you so much for any help! I have checked with registries, breeder directories, but I am just having trouble for some reason trying to find a puppy. The local dog clubs also do not have any border collies that meet their standard.

Thanks again! :rolleyes:

BorderRuns,

Please tell us a bit more about you.

Do you currently have Border Collies?

Have you raised Border Collies before?

What are the requirements the pup must meet other than being 8 weeks old?

What are the requirements the breeder must meet?

What type of lines are you interested in? Sport lines? Working lines? Conformation lines? Other?

You said: "The local dog clubs also do not have any border collies that meet their standard." What does that mean?

Thanks.

Jodi

Try [link deleted by moderator]

Have purchased both borders from this wonderful caring woman. She has an huge 88 acre farm with 13 borders that are so well behaved. She also has horses and cats. Very, very clean and organized. I did not get the dogs for competition but both very loving and smart. She is near Gainsville, VA I believe.

Good luck. I bought both at 9 weeks old. If I had my way, I would get another border but my husband says no since everything would be double in cost. I know this but it would be worth every penny!

Have purchased both borders from this wonderful caring woman. She has an huge 88 acre farm with 13 borders that are so well behaved. She also has horses and cats. Very, very clean and organized. I did not get the dogs for competition but both very loving and smart. She is near Gainsville, VA I believe.

Good luck. I bought both at 9 weeks old. If I had my way, I would get another border but my husband says no since everything would be double in cost. I know this but it would be worth every penny!

Are the parents of your dogs accomplished at open level in USBCHA sanctioned events?

If not, I would avoid.

What exactly are they breeding for? It's not working ability, which is what a Border Collie should be bred for. There's no titles listed for any of those dogs anywhere on that page. And some of them only have CKC registration, which basically exists just to lend some legitimacy to dogs from puppy mills. Not that I'm calling this breeder a puppy miller. They're more of the backyard breeder sort.

I've managed to keep my fingers off the keyboard on this one but if the breeder mentioned was my only alternative, I'd have to find another breed rather than to support that kind of breeding. The internet just allows that sort to expand their market beyond the local bounds. Shame.

I am not sure what all the "comments" above really mean but they sound condescending. I absolutely love my bc. I am not fortunate enough to do competition/show since it is very costly and I do not have that kind of money. I play with my bc (since borders was laughted at), take her to the park, and teach her alot of differant tricks. It seems this thread is sticking their noses up at the breeder I have chosen twice for my companions. I love her, I believe she has outstanding dogs. I don't care about all the titles. If I did, perhaps I would have gone another route. If you are looking for extremely intelligent, loving border collies, she will provide. I am too much of a novice to concern myself with all the rest of this.

Yes probably a little condescending however if you read the sticky: http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.p...mp;f=6&id=1 and search some of the older posts...you will see we have had this conversation before; and it can get heated..or enjoyable...what ever you prefer

It is the philosphy of the board to breed for working ability. Breeders that breed for color, conformation, agility, flyball, have great hips and are CEA normal, because they are a good pet are not working for the betterment of the breed.

I'm sure your breeder is just lovely....I really am happy you love your dog and are enjoy him/her...NOTHING against your dog in particular. However, breeding for those characteristics other than working ability takes away from what is really a border collie.

Getting some nachos and cheese...and a beer. I might need one

I have seen this sort of treatment on the Polish BC forum many times towards people who wanted to buy border collies without a pedigree (the KC pedigree, as there is basically no other) - people who came to ask, meaning well, perhaps needing a little friendly guidance. But they get the same type of comments :rolleyes: . Although I do not have the possibility to be member of working BCs, I give my full support to the idea of breeding for working ability. Having read some fabulous posts that really touch the true spirit of what herding is about, I am disappointed, I thought you were made of better stuff.

Maja

Maja, I totally agree with you. If I were a newcomer reading here, I would completely disregard anyone who ridiculed me and treated me as an object of entertainment in the way many posters to this thread did.

BorderRuns, I hope you will read the sticky READ THIS FIRST at the top of the General Border Collie Discussion forum.

Next, please read the sticky "Seeking Information About Getting a Border Collie?" at the top of that page, as well as the article it links to, Tips on Getting a Border Collie. Its purpose is to give basic background information to people in your position, so that other posters will not have to say the same thing over and over again.

Once you have read this background information, I hope you will stop back with any questions or comments you may have. If you were to answer the questions jdarling asked, that might also help to focus your needs. And your general location would help too.

lovemybc13, perhaps you wouldn't mind reading the above stickies also. I have to say that I cringe to see a website such as the one you posted, and I have removed the link to it because I don't want to see this type of breeding encouraged. (If you read the articles referenced above, perhaps you will understand why.) I am sure this is a very nice and likable woman, and I have no reason to doubt that the pups she produces are loving and smart. But the shelters, pounds and rescues are filled with wonderful pups and dogs who are loving and smart. Most dogs are loving and smart. So many, many dogs would love to play with you, go to the park with you, and learn tricks with you, and you would love them too. I am asking you in all seriousness and without disrespect: Why did you feel the need to get a border collie as opposed to another kind of dog? And then why get ones bred without regard to the fundamental, defining essence of the breed?

As a slight tangent to this thread, I just want to note that while lots of folks have commented here, no one but me has bothered to offer advice to kristinavb, who posted earlier this week about considering a border collie pup and asking how to find a good working-bred pup. If we are going to tell people *not* to buy from a breeder such as the one mentioned here and not to go the easy route of finding someone on the Internet, then why aren't we also giving advice to someone who is trying to find the right sort of breeder?

If more people have ideas for Kristina and post to her thread, then perhaps the OP on this thread would also find the information helpful.

J.

Julie,

I read your post to kristinavb when you posted it, and I thought it summed it up very nicely, and there wasn't anything more to say. I do, however, understand what you're getting at, and agree. Perhaps coming up with a list of breeders to check with ... or links to lists of reputable breeders ... might be helpful? Not sure. But this also falls in with the people who say, "I've been lurking here for a long long time, and I finally got my puppy. Isn't it so cute? I took your advice and found me a working breeder ... introducing Blob Snob Cutepup!" Clearly there's a disconnect somewhere. But is there something we can do about it? I have no idea.

Jodi

I sent her a personal message with a couple of suggestions. And you are right, we shouldn't be so snitty, me included.

So finding a puppy takes work. And potentially a wait. I applaud people that will wait for a working bred pup. If people contact me I do my best to find a contact nearby (with in 8 hours) with potential pups. I have found however that most don't really want to wait.

Cynthia

Archived