BC Boards

Looking For A Border Collie Breeder

I wouldn't be scratching at my rough-coated, black and white hair shirt too vigorously.

There is something either bogus or untrue in the original post. No one who has been as involved in various activities with dogs as Borderuns claims to be can fail to have heard at least a tiny whisper that the AKC conformation agility version was a bad idea. Her whole post was either a put-on or the poster was making a pretense of participation. Something rings phony about lines like "My whole family, and I have decided that a Border Collie is the dog for us. I have been training dogs in agility, rally, obedience, and conformation for a good

amount of time and would love to get a new dog, so I can do more. I am looking for a puppy that can do conformation as well as performance events.

I would really like a young puppy aka eight weeks and at most nine weeks., so I can mold it into a nice performance dog."

Anyone who makes up a moniker like hers and needs to write an utterly unknown to her bulletin board doesn't know much about molding anything except maybe Jello.

Penny

You may well be right, Penny. You may be wrong too -- at least in the sense that I can see this person being someone who really is looking for the type of pup s/he claims, but is trying to make herself look more knowledgeable and experienced than s/he really is, either out of wishful thinking or out of a desire to be taken more seriously.

But let's suppose you are right. There are nearly always more than 100 people reading on these Boards in addition to registered members at any given time. Often more than 200. Occasionally more than 300. The OP will probably not ring false to them. I would like them to see a better version of our position (and of us) than they have seen reading this thread. Let's say this person is a phony who posted something s/he knew would evoke a knee-jerk reaction and make us look bad. Why fall in with the plan?

ETA: It seems to me that there are certain words that are pretty much guaranteed to send a thread off in a sour direction. Though of course I've never done so, I've often been tempted to ban those words ("knickers," for example). Maybe "popcorn" should go on that list. :rolleyes:

But what if I own a Chihuahua named Nacho?

Sorry, couldn't resist and I do know one that goes by that name! :rolleyes:

You are right that my first response was not helpful. I will admit to being burned out by trying to educate people about the difference between a real Border Collie and a dog that resembles one. I do stand by my opinion that the listed breeder is not producing Border Collies. As a breed they are defined by their work, therefore she is breeding colorful pets, NOT Border Collies. The same goes for AKC conformation breeders. I wish people would look at the "Read This First" sticky. It would save a lot of arguments and heartache.

Hm, perhaps a reminder about civility and kindness on the boards is timely, indeed. I made the remark I did having seen how discussions about working vs other bloodlines tend to boil over in heated discussion. So, perhaps I should not have tried to be cute.

That said, however, I find the original post a bit suspect, as well. The OP seems willing to travel virtually anywhere in the continental US to look at a puppy, and yet look though they might, they simply cannot find a puppy. Checking registries and breeder directories somehow fails to produce a single nibble. Moreover, apparently local dog clubs (note the plural) "do not have any border collies that meet their standards." I don't even know what that means. :rolleyes:

Perhaps the OP is merely guilty of confusing word choices. But the picture they paint of their search just doesn't add up, in my mind. Therefore I suspect some sort of troll. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly apologize.

Cheers ~

Gloria

Civil or not, right or wrong, I felt the commentary in question was directed at the recommendation of an obviously not-in-keeping-with-the-board-philosophy breeder - and was not directed at the OP, troll or otherwise.

I apologize for my lack of manners and self-restraint, and lack of helpful comments. Again. Maybe some day, I will learn.

I think that this is a great idea! I second it!

I think it is possible to include that section with the email that goes out to confirm registration. If not a whole thread, at least a paragraph or two outlining the principles of the board and a few answers to basic questions.

In all honesty, first border collie we had was in response to having had a horrible experience with a chow who bit me twice and my husband once. That was a bad situation. I thought I would never get another dog until my husband convinced me that border collies are smart and sweet and no where near the temperment of a chow. We had sweet Sparky for 13 years until July of 2009. We got Lexi the fall prior and we just adore her.

I have read your sticky and I understand your philosophy on raising working dogs. I am guilty as charged for not doing her justice by not raising her as a working dog she was bred to be. I WISH I had the space/money to do so. Lexi is my sole mate in so many ways. I love her dearly. I wish I was able to provide acres and acres for her to run/herd etc.

Maybe I should not have gotten her knowing all of this. But I did. Done is done. I didn't judge the breeder. Yes, she probably is what you all are saying. Yes, I fell in love with a beautiful puppy who looked up at me when I held her and talked to her. I knew I had to take her home. I could of bought any breed out there. I KNOW that. This is what I chose.

I joined this forum for the advise and perhaps join in the love of border collies. I realize now that I am out of my league here and don't feel this forum can relate to how I feel about my dog. You all are doing wonderful things for the reputation of the breed. I am not condoning that. I just don't feel welcome as I am not owning/raising my border collie in the way you all see fit. I love her, and do more with my dog than most people I know. I can not afford agility/competition, etc.

I apologize if I offended anyone on this forum for suggesting the breeder. Good luck to the original poster in finding a dog that fits your needs. I have no idea if you posted to get a reaction or if you actually needed advise. Maybe I am naive, but I try to believe people come on this forum with a need to be heard and if they have questions, they should get thoughtful advice from experienced border collie owners.

Lovemybc13, I for one hope you will stay. I think if you do you will find many of us who keep our Border collies strictly as pets and don't do agility or obedience or stockwork with them. I'm of that number, and I've never felt like a "second-class" citizen here. It's a wonderful place to share advice and anecdotes on many aspects of Border collies. Personally I'm hoping to gain a better appreciation of all these dogs can do by attending as many sheepdog trials as I can. I'm fortunate that the National Finals (in Virginia), starting this Saturday, are just around the corner (well, close to my sister-in-law's new place - a great excuse to visit her!). If you're in the area, you should come as well!

The one thing I know you will find is that all of us love our dogs.

It seems this is so often misunderstood! It's not that anyone cares how you raise your dog, whether it be as a working dog, a "sport" partner (agility/flyball) or as a pet and couch warmer! The issue is about breeding, and the only problem was the recommendation of a breeder who is not breeding border collies for working ability. That's it. I'm sorry there were some sarcastic/snarky comments, but we live and learn, it doesn't mean we're not all welcome here.

Again, nobody is looking down on you for having a pet border collie. There are plenty of board members here who don't have working dogs, and don't do agility or other dog sports with their dogs, either. The one thing we do have in common is love for our dogs, and love for the breed as a whole.

^^What she said. I honestly don't understand how people can read the "Read this First" and take away that the philosophy of this forum is that people must own working dogs and must work them. IIRC it states in bold print that owning a border collie as a pet or doing other things besides stockwork with one's dog is NOT looked down upon. It's the breeding for those other things that's the problem/issue. And yet every time this topic comes up, someone comes away stating that they now feel like a second-class citizen for owning a non-working border collie. I just don't get it.

J.

lovemybc13,

This is the part of the sticky that Julie is referring to:

Border collie owners who don't use their dogs to work livestock are not second-class citizens. Because border collies have been bred for a very demanding job, they have the physical, mental and emotional traits to be good at almost anything a dog can do. They generally don't make good pets for people who have little interest in a dog and little time to spend with it. But for people who are prepared to devote a lot of time and attention to their dog(s), border collies can be excellent companions, and excellent partners for a variety of activities, both formal and informal. If you love your border collie, and give him/her a good home, you are doing right by your dog. Just leave the breeding to those who do train and work their dogs on livestock, and who have the knowledge to breed to the working standard.

I'm quoting it here because it's very important and I want to make sure you don't miss seeing it. It is a new concept to a lot of people: the distinction between what you use a dog for and what you breed a dog for. I hope after you've thought about it a little, you'll understand why you fit right in here, and why we want you to stay.

You love your dog, do things with her, and think she's wonderful. Pretty much all of us relate to that -- we have it in common with you. It's great for both you and your dog. I appreciate your posting in an effort to help someone out, and I'll appreciate it even more if you can overlook the way some disagreement with your post was expressed. Please stay -- you are very welcome.

Archived