BC Boards

our border collie is very protective

Our BC is very close to our side during the day and night. He is very protective of our little son. Recently we had someone who was either drunk or high walking between our property and our neighbor behind us. This person came up to the fence and was wanting to pet the dog and I told him that our dog is very protective and doesn't like strangers. He went to reach his hand as to pet the dog anyway and that's when our BC took a running start and hit the fence and the man fell down and started laughing. At that point I took my son by one hand and our border collie in other and went inside and locked our doors. Anyone else have a very protective BC ?

Yes. Our little female, Pepper, is very protective too.

I should alos note that Poppy is fast following her lead.

Someone just came to mow our yard and they leapt at the window barking, and knocked the screen out...lol.

Missy and Annie are both very protective of the yard. Both will bark at anyone who wanders by the front walk; they also ensure that the property is kept free of unwelcome intruders such as cats, squirrels, robins, blue jays, deer, etc. Just in case their warnings are not sufficient, I also have a couple of friends (Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson) handy just in case...

I should also note that Poppy is fast following Pepper's lead.

Someone just came out to mow the neighbor's yard and they leapt at the window barking, and knocked the screen out...lol.

I really wish they'd let us delete our own posts again.. bah...

Anyway, Riven only barks if someone comes to our front door. If they're in the yard ok, but dont come toward the door. Now, in the back, if you are close enough for her to see you're close enough for her to bark at. :rolleyes:

If Im with her in the yard and anyone comes near she growls and attempts to tear their leg off. Or at least make it sound like she would lol.

Sara is protective of me. I think she wouldn't notice if someone came in unless I was there. Last week, the TV cable company was working in my neighborhood and one man came in my yard w/o my knowledge. I let the dogs out and heard them barking. The 4 of them were in a semi-cirle w/the cable guy backed against the fence. I called them (as a group, not name) and all but Sara ran to me. Since she was just lying there, I guess he didn't think she was a threat and started to move - that's when we all heard the low growl and the cable guy froze. I called her by name and she came to me. The cable guy knocked each time he came to my yard for the rest of the day!

I took Lucy LOu to petsmart and 2 aggressive dogs started tobark in our direction. she jumped out in front of me and barked back. but as soon as those dogs were out of sight she wanted to be picked up. don't know what this means. also when she feels danger is near she crowds against the front of my legs as if to szy stay back mom you could get hurt.

POOR CABLE GUY

My husband's best friend has 2 BCs. The male is very protective! They do not have children, but he protects the friend and his fiance. Strangers are best advised to avoid their place. Tim ( BC ) is ok with my husband and I , but most other people better not show up when the owners are not home.

Dianne

Cody has developed this. He is king of the porch and dont come up there if he doesnt know you...we didn't get this personality from him till he was with us about 2 months...but every one is aware to wait for us...once we allow you in the house and we bring him in...he is fine...so we are glad for the security of strangers NOT aproaching w/o our consent, but it is a big job for us, too, inbeing responsible for his actions. My sonis forbidden to have friends in this summer when he is alone...I dont know how Cody would react if I am not here to make him behave and teenagers carrying on to Cody couldmean troubleif he thinks they are gonna hurt his boy!!!

Our Tag is insanely protective of our home and DH. He is definitely DH's dog through and through and everyone in the neighborhood knows that. No one in the neighborhood will come up on our porch because of "that dog". The thing that is so frustrating to me is that Tag's protectiveness is SO BAD that he continues it when we have allowed someone into our home. He just can't relax, and has to keep watching and circling... it really bothers me. So, we always have to put him in another room or kennel him up when someone comes over - even my step-daughter! My dad spent every day for two weeks at our house helping DH do some remodeling, and even after that, Tag still will not accept him. Hubby likes that Tag is protective, and I do too, to a point... like I said, I just wish that I could get him to understand that once we allow someone to come in, he needs to chill.

Wow this week Poppy is getting real protective.

Both pups, are going on 6 mos and when the guy came to clean the carpets today, Poppy was just following him everywhere, watching how he interacted with our 2 yr old son....lol.

Then, last night, some kids ran over and jumped in Richard's kiddie pool last night and both pups ran over there growling and barking! Then when kids parents came and dragged them away, both pups tried to jump in the pool themselves as if to say this is ours...lol.

Rebel barks at anyone walking past the house. Since I got him after my husband died, I don't mind too much. I'm glad I didn't have him years ago when there were soldiers around all the time. He might have gotten shot. Anyway, glad I have my wee house protected by a BC.(And I ALWAYS know when someone is at the door...)

I think it's pretty foolish for anyone - cable technician or not - to go into someone's yard without their knowledge. Oreo sure as heck wouldn't like that, that's for sure.

Oreo's always been protective of me and my family. She's nipped people a few times when they were doing something extremely stupid and appeared to be hurting a family member (I TOLD THEM to not be stupid around the dog - but they never listen). One of her favorite pasttimes is lounging over the back of the couch, watching out the big window. People walking by are either watched or growled at. But if someone steps foot into our yard? SOUND THE ALARM!!

Zeeke is over-protective. He barks at EVERYTHING out the window, he can't seem to understand that our property ends at the street. *sigh* And Zoe's picking up the barking habit, though she stops when I tell her to. I am never scared when I'm out with Zeeke, even if it's the middle of the night in the woods.

Zoe on the other hand.... turns into a frightened ball of mush if she feels threatened... protectiveness? No..... she needs mom for her own protection. :rolleyes:

Misty,

One thing we have done with COdy that has helped over the last few months is this.....when someone diff is coming to visit, I have milkbones by the door and I hold Cody if he is outside till they get in and sit down, they then hold out a flat palm with the bone on it and he gets it and lets them warm up to him. Now on the outside, on the porch or in the yard, if he doesnt know you ...forget it...he will bark like he is gonna bite your pants off,. If he knows you and you call him by name, he will bark till you get on the porch and then greet you. it has taken a good while to get him to this better behaviour and good friends and family to help us through it, but everyone loves him once he knows you're welcomed by us and not going to hurt anyone. God love anyone trying to get in here without our knowledge though!

Harley barks at anyone or anything moving behind the house, it gets quite annoying because I do many anything (junebugs, crickets, etc)!. If the doorbell rings he will go to the door but won't bark. I know he would protect me but don't know if he would protect the property if someone came into the yard or house without me there. I went to the side gate one time while he was back there and started banging on it. He didn't come investigate and when I finally peeked around he was just sitting on the patio. He probably knew it was me though.