BC Boards

Doggy Tricks

my 6 month old puppy knows sit, stay, down, come, roll over, play dead, turn, weave through my legs, high five and crawl. im running out of ideas of what else to teach him.... i have been working on bow but that has been a work in progress for 3 weeks now with not much improvement (mostly because i have been trying to find ways to have him do the action first) but what else are cute tricks that can keep him going? im sure there are thousands of other tricks but i cant think of any... any suggestions? we have been working on healing and some obedience things which is coming along great but just looking for some fun tricks to do... any help would be appreciated! :rolleyes:)

Please bear with me if you're the sort of person who feels that dogs should only be taught "useful" commands. My seven-month-old pup has been on restricted activities since early August when he was only five months old (he's now recovering from surgery - only five (!) more weeks to go of restricted activities). I've been scratching my brain to find tricks that he can do that don't violate the "don't jar your shoulders" mandate. So - for what it's worth, here are some of the things we've done with our pup:

1) Play bow (since you mention it). This is actually part of his current physical therapy. I started with a treat in my hand. To help "shape" the action, I put one hand under his belly, and placed the treat near the ground. He tried to get it from my hand, and eventually his elbows neared the ground. I said "yes!" and treated him. Within five minutes, I had him to the point where I could say "Take a bow!", give him a hand signal, and he'd place his elbows on the ground. (He'd done a fair amount of obedience already). After about a week, I could get him to do it without my arm under his stomach. He now does it for 30 seconds at a time. This is, by the way, a great trick for winning over small children who are fearful of dogs. It's also good for calming potential playmates of the canine variety. (He's mastered a bunch of other physical therapy commands - "shoulder", "handstand", and so forth, but I can't imagine you'd find them useful).

2) "Leave it!" This is the command I probably issue more than any other. Start with a treat in your hand. Show it to him, let him nibble at it, and when he stops, say "yes" (or click, if that's what you do) and give him a treat from a different hand. Eventually add the command "leave it!" when you sense he's about to back his nose off, and "take it" when you give him the treat from a different hand. (Don't ever allow him to "take" the treat he's been told to leave). Eventually you will get to the point where you can put a treat by his paw, say "leave it!" and he won't take it. Give him one that's OK and say "take it" and he's good to go.

This is useful for so many things - not just keeping him from eating chicken bones on the street or wild mushrooms in the lawn. If he's dying to go after that soccer ball the neighbor's kids are playing with, "leave it!" really helps. Beyond that - teaching a pup impulse control is really important to their development.

3) "Sing". If your pup is at all vocal, try to "catch" the action by saying "yes" when he goes "a-roo!" and treat him. My pup will now "sing" in a prolonged manner (if not really in tune with anything) when prompted. Whimpers and barks get him nothing. This is another crowd-pleaser that really isn't useful (just cute).

4) "Bark" and "hush". "Bark" is good if you're on a walk and you get spooked. "Hush" is always useful. "Bark" can be taught by getting a friend to ring the doorbell. Catch the action and treat. "Hush" can be taught either with a squirt bottle full of water (when on a walk or when barking at the neighbor's dogs when in the back yard) or with a shake can (Tums bottle containing coins; shaking it provides a distraction that might get the pup to stop barking). These are both useful.

5) "Go to your bed". Get a dog bed; lure the dog and treat at first if it steps on it. Work up to the point where you can point to the bed and issue the command and the dog will go there and lie down. (This is my pup's favorite command - he loves being treated for going to a cozy spot). It's useful having him go to his bed and stay there when we're eating dinner or when I have visitors to my office. He's allowed to greet visitors at the door, but is then expected to go to his bed - and stay there - when asked.

6) Wait (different from "stay"); "wait" means "don't move until I say OK", just temporary, like don't jump out of the back of the car (very important in recovering from surgery), and don't barge through the door until I say it's OK; "stay" means "stay until I come up and release you".

7) Add distance and distractions and duration to all the existing commands. Probably it's best to start with "duration" while you're close at hand (though I'm open to suggestion from more experienced trainers!). Then add "distance". (Many pups lie down easily if you're right there, but if you ask them to lie down at a distance, they want to come up to you first). Start with baby steps - move three inches away before issuing the command, then six, then more. Make sure each step is rock solid before adding additional distance. Start with easy distractions - toys they don't care as much for - before bringing out the big guns (my pup handled squeaky toys a lot better than tennis balls; soccer balls were the ultimate challenge).

8) "Weave" is great for leaning to heel - it forces them to pay attention to where you are. You can also add (to loose leash walking) "back here" (meaning, I don't like the way you're pulling on the leash; come back and sit next to me).

9) "Hug". He sits with his rear on the ground and gently puts his arms on my shoulder. This was something he started on his own in a bid for attention; I just "captured" it by saying "yes!" and giving positive reinforcement. Gotta be careful with this one because you don't want to encourage jumping up.

10) "Stand". This is a prequel to some of his physical therapy exercises (three-legged standing, two-legged standing). Is also useful for grooming or shots at the vets (hard to find that rear muscle, or take that rectal temperature, when the pup has turned to jelly). Not very "showy", but useful all the same.

Let's see - other things we've been doing while the pup was on restricted activity- "touch"; play catch while in a "stay"; "where's your ball" (go to a lie down stay; see if he could identify the yogurt cup that was hiding the small tennis ball) - if he guessed correctly, he got to squeak it, if he was wrong, it was "my ball" and I tossed it up and down. "Find the toy" - wubba, Buckyball, frog, sheep, whatever.

Yeah, it's a lot, but what else do you do to keep a pup from going crazy after (at present count) nine or ten weeks of restricted activity?

Then there are other things - automatic sit at a curb, "get out of the street!!!!" if they transgress, "drop it" when playing fetch (not that my pup is allowed to do that at present), and so forth.

Someone told me to buy the book "101 Dog Tricks" but I didn't like some of the reviews on Amazon so I purchased "The Only Dog Tricks Book You'll Ever Need" http://www.amazon.com/Only-Tricks-Book-You...7824&sr=1-6 , thinking I'd use it on vacation this summer. This was before the roofers descended on us, converting "vacation" into the sort of mayhem that was not amenable to training silly dog tricks.

I know this isn't really a trick, but it is something I've found useful. Targeting objects. I started with my hand and moved on to strangers hands because my dog is fearful of strangers. It kind of helps her "break the ice" so to speak. Once we had that down I started teaching her to target things I pointed to. Like strange objects she is afraid of. Useful because she is over the top fearful of strange things. I graduated her to targeting away from me. Sending her out to an object that I point to and having her do a down once she gets to it. She the waits for me to come and get her. We were taught this in on of our classes as sort of an emergency thing. If the dog gets away and there is something dangerous (like a busy street) in between you and the dog, you can send the dog to a target and know it will wait for you to come get it. It also helps to have a good "wait" command in place. I use it all the time in a "don't get out of the car yet", "i have to clean your feet", "let the other dog go first", "don't go after the cat on t.v" sort of context. It's nice to have a pause button for my dog.

A few more....

1. "Hit it!" - touch my outstretched hand wherever it is (no going behind me!)

2. "Gimme paw" - more or less a handshake. My right hand, his left paw; my left hand, his right paw. Both hands together - both paws!

3. Crawl backwards - adding distance to this one is really fun, though don't overdo at first because it is TIRING to the dog.

4. Toys by name (e.g., 'Find your holey-roller' )

5. Put your toys away (into a basket or bin)

6. Hide your face (paws over face) - or as a friend does, "What's ON your face?" and dog paws at face; says she taught it by smearing peanut butter on dog's face! I haven't tried this one...

7. Go to bed - dog pulls blanket up over self (this was a Sylvia trick too).

diane

I would have to add "shake" to this list. It's great when you are finished bathing and want the excess water in the dog's coat on the ground, not on the towel. They usually shake once or twice on their own, and I find that if you see them start to do that head-twist that precedes a full-body shake, just say,"Shake!" and then reward for the behavior. They pick it up in no time.

Another of my favorites is "Come on up." I start with a chair, and encourage them to put their front paws on the seat. Mark the behavior with a clicker or praise, and reward. Teach them to hold the pose until they get a release comand. Then I graduate to higher surfaces, and finally substitute my arm, (elbow pressed to your side and forearm parallel to the ground, fingers curled back toward your body.)

Come on up has two great uses. You can "come on up" on a table and then lift the hindquarters up and swing them around so the dog is lying on the table. Vets love this! And it's useful for dogs who are getting older and jumping in the car or truck is starting to be a bit much for them.

And you "can come on" up on your arm when the dog is clean and dry and you want a cuddle - and she hasn't lost her training not to jump up on you otherwise.

I''g like to teach Jin to paw his face like a too shy shy boy. Maybe shuffle his feet. Don't have the foggiest how to teach those.

Have you guys seen this site Dog Trick Academy

I''g like to teach Jin to paw his face like a too shy shy boy. Maybe shuffle his feet. Don't have the foggiest how to teach those.

Have now! Thanks!

I just taught Ouzo to "touch his nose" - raise the paw to his nose and cover it, kindda like "shame". Two nights ago it finally clicked. Until then, his take on this trick was, instead of raising his paw to the nose, he would lower his nose to the paw :rolleyes:

The "shake" also reminded me (yes, that is a good one - and has nothing to do with a paw!):

"turn around." Dog simply faces away from you. Very handy for grooming, inspection of, um, backsides, and such.

Another: "head down" where dog puts head down on ground/floor. I used this with my older dog only when she was already lying on her side, but I wanted her head down - either to inspect ears, or just to hold still.

Oh yeah: "hold still" - harder to teach, but well worth it, esp at the vet's office!

diane

wow this seems very challenging have you done this with your dog?

Yes I have. His score right now is 25/40 on the test I have and getting better. The last thing I taught Jin was to jump up on a table at the park and wait for inspection.

Yep, I've been a member for a while. They don't seem to add new tricks very often, but for a visual learner like me having the steps broken down on video is awesome. The tricks it has (not sure if you can see the list without membership) are: name, sit, down, stand, examination, wait, give, leave it, get in (standing at your side), shake a paw, high five, around (run around your back), turn around, roll over, beg, catch, switch (from sitting on one side to the other), look at me, spin, play dead, target stick, crawl, figure eight (weave around legs), get the tail, how to shape behaviors, paw on a box, push a ball, and play chess. There are forums associated with it that can be good for specific questions, or other trick ideas.

Thank you for the idea about the Public Access Standard!

Someone told me to buy the book "101 Dog Tricks" but I didn't like some of the reviews on Amazon so I purchased "The Only Dog Tricks Book You'll Ever Need" http://www.amazon.com/Only-Tricks-Book-You...7824&sr=1-6 , thinking I'd use it on vacation this summer. This was before the roofers descended on us, converting "vacation" into the sort of mayhem that was not amenable to training silly dog tricks.

I love this book. It has tons of tricks and steps on how to teach them. Some are clearer than others, but overall it is pretty good. I personally teach with a clicker and shaping, so I mostly use her training steps as guidelines to tweak, but the trick ideas are awesome. Have yet to find another dog trick book that is as comprehensive as this one.

• 2 weeks later...

"give me a hug" I put a treat on my shoulder and she has to basically 'hug' to get it.

"jump to me" this takes alot of trust on her part instead of just jumping in the air she'll jump into my arms. Was alot easier before she was 40 pounds but still a cool trick