BC Boards

More board mojo for Lu

NorthfieldNick

After her bout with the mammary tumors, Lu seemed totally fine for a few weeks. Then she started having some discharge when she peed, and the vet thought maybe another UTI. The urine culture grew nothing three times. A partial spay was another idea (I guarantee Lu is at least mostly spayed- my friend's intact Border Collie male is in love with her, and no pups). An x-ray showed nothing, and shortly after Lu started limping a lot more than she had been. Rimadyl helped for two weeks, then she started limping on a front leg. She's now very stiff on her left front and right hind legs. Our vet started her on Tramadol along with the Rimadyl... it doesn't really seem to be helping. We have an ultrasound scheduled to hopefully figure out what is going on. It'll be another week+ until we can get in- I'm going on vacation next week... My poor Lu is obviously in pain. Her appetite is fine, she still wants to go out and do chores with me, she still steals the bones from Nick. I'm hoping it's something simple, but am worried it's not.

AFAIK we don't have ticks here. I've never seen one, and I've never had a vet mention anything about them. We barely even have fleas. I will ask my vet, though, just in case.

Lu is more uncomfortable by the day. She's barely using her front leg. My sister is going to take her for the ultrasound while I'm gone. Lu's symptoms are very similar to my friend's dog who had bone cancer. I'm braced for the worst- the pathology (cytology?) reports after her mammary mastectomy suggested that the cancer had likely spread.

*sigh* It's too soon to lose Lu. She's not quite 10. I'm worried about leaving for a week, but I do know that the past 5 years she's had the best life any dog could ask for.

Poor Lu. I hope she's feeling better.

We have hardly any ticks in the PNW -- nothing like the east coast, where every dog will test positive for Lyme due to the numbers of ticks. So I would be surprised if it were a TBD here, but it's worth testing for anyway.

Sympathies coming from Freya who is still awaiting her own biopsy report. She had a chain mastectomy last week. She is only 7, far too young to think about losing her. :rolleyes:

Are you going to do radiographs to see if there are any mets to her skeleton? Did you do a met check of her lungs before surgery?

Poor Lu. I hope she's feeling better.

We have hardly any ticks in the PNW -- nothing like the east coast, where every dog will test positive for Lyme due to the numbers of ticks. So I would be surprised if it were a TBD here, but it's worth testing for anyway.

Depends on where you go, Melanie. In the woods by my old house, about 10 miles southwest of Eugene, you couldn't walk the dogs for 10 minutes without picking up some big brown ticks during the winter. It was gross!

Best wishes Lu.

We have had ticks and are not too far from you, although a lot closer to the woods and mountains. Typically we see ticks for about 3 weeks in the fall and another 2 in the spring, but they don't carry lyme disease, although I don't know if they carry anyother tick diseases.

Lots of mojo being sent from Skagit County.

AFAIK we don't have ticks here. I've never seen one, and I've never had a vet mention anything about them. We barely even have fleas. I will ask my vet, though, just in case.

Lu is more uncomfortable by the day. She's barely using her front leg. My sister is going to take her for the ultrasound while I'm gone. Lu's symptoms are very similar to my friend's dog who had bone cancer. I'm braced for the worst- the pathology (cytology?) reports after her mammary mastectomy suggested that the cancer had likely spread.

*sigh* It's too soon to lose Lu. She's not quite 10. I'm worried about leaving for a week, but I do know that the past 5 years she's had the best life any dog could ask for.

I am sorry to read your situation with Lu. No matter the outcome remember your words --'for the past 5 years she's had the best life any dog could ask for". It may help you get through tough times with her.

Good luck.

Carolyn