BC Boards

My puppy is really sick

Tommy Coyote

And I'm scared to death.

About a week ago she started running a fever of 104. No other symptoms. Vet put her on cipro.

Then it was obvious that her jaw was hurting and she was still running a fever. So the vet really thought she had just over chewed on a bone and aggravated her jaw. So she went on prednisone and pain pills.

And she seemed so much better. And then this morning she took a real turn for the worse. Her fever shot up again to 104. And she can't put any weight on one foot - the joint above her foot is swollen.

So she is having all kinds of tests run. The vet is thinking some sort of tick born disease. I haven't seen any ticks on either of the dogs or on me but it is always possible. She hasn't been anywhere but the back yard - not out in any fields or woods. I didn't have her on Frontline but she always is on Sentinel. Sentinel isn't good against ticks.

Mostly I'm just worried sick about her. She just feels so bad with that high fever.

The vet said he has also been seeing an illness where white blood cells build up in the joints and cause pain and fever. So it might be some sort of illness that is going around. Whatever, she is really sick.

Both paws and fingers are crossed here that the vet is able to find the source and treat her. Would it help to put a frozen water bottle wrapped in a cloth next to her to help bring down the fever? Hope she starts feeling better soon. Lots of good mojo coming from the mountains.

Thank you so much. Blood test came back - only shows high white blood cell count.

Vet is afraid it might be an autoimmune disorder. But it still could be some kind of infection that they just haven't identified yet. They are putting her on IV and that should at least make her feel a little better. The x-ray of the leg that is swollen it didn't show anything unusual.

I've never heard of a border collie with an autoimmune problem but anything is possible I suppose.

Lyme was my first thought. Hope all turns out well.

Ditto, Melanie. Lyme popped into my head, too.

Whatever it is, Tommy, I hope the vet finds the culprit very soon and your sweet girl is healed and happy before you know it.

Tick disease would still be my first guess. Lots of times nothing will show in bloodwork. If it were me, I'd start with some Doxy, and if the pup seems to get some relief, it's probably a TBD,

A

Tick disease would still be my first guess. Lots of times nothing will show in bloodwork. If it were me, I'd start with some Doxy, and if the pup seems to get some relief, it's probably a TBD,

A

She is still at the vet. What is Doxy? Her glands aren't swollen and she has been eating really well. I saw where those were both signs of Lyme - swollen glands and lack of appetite.

They are going to draw some blood from the joints and see if that shows anything.

I can't remember ever seeing a tick in my yard. Haven't seen any this year so far.

It's just so hard to wait.

[ They are putting her on IV and that should at least make her feel a little better. The x-ray of the leg that is swollen it didn't show anything unusual.

I've never heard of a border collie with an autoimmune problem but anything is possible I suppose.

I would have your vet put her on Doxy immediately while they are trying to figure out what is going on and not after they figure it out. If it is a tick born disease you want her on Doxy now and it won't hurt her to be on it while they figure it out. You should send blood to the ProtaTek lab verses having it tested at your vet for a definitive answer. They can test for you based on what tick diseases are common in your area.

Dr. Cynthia J. Holland

ProtaTek Reference Laboratory

574 East Alamo Street, Suite 90

Chandler, AZ 85225

Tel: (602) 545-8499 Fax: (602) 545-8409

Also, there are a ton of Border Collies with auto-immune problems, mine included. If you know where the puppy came from and the breeder is reputable and you are knowledgable about previously bred dogs from the same lines, then you can be a little more certain that it isn't a genetic issue, like autoimmune disorder. If not, that is something you want to look into as well.

I've seen 2 similar cases here in non-BC pups and the diagnosis was HOD - the advanced symptoms being "fever (104-106), refusal to eat, jaws tender, swelling of joint areas often hot to the touch, animals cry in pain, unable to get up, flat feet, bowing of the limbs, lack of mobility, depression polyarthritis in all limbs. "

A website that I found for you quickly was here You need to do way more research that this.

HOD is mostly listed with large breed puppys but I've seen in it medium breeds. It also seems like a lot of vets don't look for it at all....

They may be hesitating on the doxycycline without a positive TBD diagnosis, because it will permanently mess up the pup's adult teeth, if they're still unerupted. It has the same effect on human teeth. (It is not recommended for use in children under 8 or pregnant women.) It can be rough on the liver, skin, bones/marrow and stomach as well.

Unfortunately, tetracycline (also recommended for TBD) has similar properties.

Not that that would (or did) stop me when I had a sick pup who was originally thought to have Erhlichia (ehrlichiosis), 10 years ago. It turned out my pup did have an auto-immune disorder, not TBD, so they took him off the doxy immediately.

However, my pup did not have the same symptoms listed here by the original poster, in particular, no fever, local pain or noticeably swollen joints. His problem was a platelet count so low as to approach zero -- easy to spot with simple bloodwork, not so easy to figure out a cause.

I hope they can nail the problem down soon and start on a cure. Sending many positive thoughts from rainy southern PA-USA!

Liz S

I live in Lyme Disease Central - almost all our dogs have had it. There are a huge variety of symptoms, from horrific diarrhea, lethargy, and refusal to move, to clear-cut joint (jaw) pain, to my dog's almost undetectable increased aggression and very slight, odd limp. I think around here, they'd also start on doxycycline immediately until they ruled out TBD.

Mary

Well, here is the latest.

Still leaning to auto-immune disorder. The fluid in her swollen joint is full of white blood cells. But they still haven't ruled out tick born illness. I think they have to send those blood samples off and then wait for them to get back.

They started her on Clavamox and Doxy and doubled her prednisone. And she is staying there for at least another day.

I don't know very much about auto-immune disorders in dogs. (I didn't know that dogs could get Lupus). And there are several different kinds and they all have different symptoms.

Contributing factors can be over innoculation, pesticides, poor diet. None of those things fit her. She just her regular puppy shots. She eats Evo and has had always had good dog food and I don't keep pesticides anywhere on my property.

She is just a year old so I asked him what kind of quality of life she would have. And he said its too soon to know. He had a dog a year ago with the same symptoms - they put him on high dose prednisone for 3 months, weaned him off and he has done great. I guess it might never come back or it may. Just don't know.

Glad they've started her on Doxy. I know everyone says the Doxy can do bad things to a puppy's teeth, but that has not been my experience. It can be very tough on the stomach, however. Make sure you give it after there's already some food in there, and wrap it in something to give it--don't just shove it down her throat, as that can be very irritating. Keep us posted,

A

Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts.

Tommy is home. And she is so much better. Her ears are up and she is back sitting on the bed looking out her window. Her ankle joint is still swollen but she is putting some weight on it. Something she is on is working. The tick born tests should be back by Monday.

What a huge relief. She has to stay on the prednisone for a while. I'm not even thinking about the future. Its just so nice to have her back with me here in the present.

Oh Tommy, I am sorry about your pup... I hope she is truly on the mend for you. As far as pesticides..., herbicides can affect people and dogs too and even though you might not use any nasty chemicals at your home, your neighbors might and pesticide/herbicide drift is very common... I've had plants die when neighbors quite a ways down the way spray! Kansas winds blow far. volatile chemicals drift quick...and it has been warmer the last few days around here...ideal for drift to occur.