BC Boards

My puppy is really sick

Tommy Coyote

Thank you all so much. This is so hard. I have no idea what her long term prognosis is. But she is still better this morning. She is putting more weight on her foot which means that the swelling is probably going down. Her ears are up and she is eating really well. Course that may be the prednisone making her hungry.

There is a really good holistic vet not too many miles from me. If this really is an immune system problem I'm going to talk to her. She really can do amazing things with her herbs and accupuncture.

And I think we are switching over to a raw diet as soon as possible. I can buy her food that is already prepared so that I know it has everything she needs.

Man, I am really grasping at straws here. I just want her to get better and have a shot at being a normal dog again. She really wants to go out and run around the back yard and I can't let her - have to keep her as quiet as possible right now. No stress.

Why don't you wait until you know what is wrong with her before you go making all the changes - vets, holistic, raw. Better to know what your dealing with and deal with it properly first.

That's what I said. "if" this turns out to be immune system problem. Right now the prednisone seems to be working.

And I think we are switching over to a raw diet as soon as possible.

That would actually be a very poor decision. Raw should never be fed to a dog that is immune supressed because of illness or immune suppressing drugs (prednisone).

I'll second Journey's advice. Before you go off the deep end of consults and changing vets, you need to get the results of the current tests. then if you decide to get a second opinion you can take a complete set of records.

That would actually be a very poor decision. Raw should never be fed to a dog that is immune supressed because of illness or immune suppressing drugs (prednisone).

I'll second Journey's advice. Before you go off the deep end of consults and changing vets, you need to get the results of the current tests. then if you decide to get a second opinion you can take a complete set of records.

The holistic vet here works with your original vet. I'm not changing vets. I like the one I've got a lot.

Puppy is still getting better. Her fever is gone and she is up and interested in everything this morning. The selling in her joints must be better because she is walking on her foot again.

Thank goodness.

Glad they've started her on Doxy. I know everyone says the Doxy can do bad things to a puppy's teeth, but that has not been my experience.

Tommy,

The dog is a year old, she'll be fine on the Doxy. I would add milk thistle, dandelion daily once you get her back to support her liver while she is on Doxy. You can order them online, I use Vitacost or The Vitamin Shoppe. There is also a combination liver support mix that is sold online. I can look up the information and post if you are interested.

Keep us posted.

Jen

Flute, Enna, Fever and Lava

Thanks, everyone. Tommy still seems to be doing better. I don't think she is limping at all today which is a good sign. It means the swelling is down. And she doesn't seem to be having the pain in her jaw at all anymore. All good signs. The vet did tell me that she might plateau and not feel as good again - I guess I'm not supposed to panic if that happens. She is acting a lot more like herself - was playing with Ellie this morning. And barking ferociously at the cat outside the window. She is still eating really well.

I'm trying to be really optimistic that this is all going to work out OK and she will be all right again.