BC Boards

stupid dogs

I left my bedroom door open last night. Two dogs were loose (not in crates). When I got up this morning the trash had been raided. I keep it under the sink, but I just moved and have not yet had a chance to install child safe locks. There was one item missing from the trash, a large corn cob. No idea which of the two ate it, and I think one did consume the entire thing because not a trace of it remained anywhere in the house. Fingers crossed that all is well with them. I'll update later.

I've moved to a very rural area, so no ultrasonographer and I am one of the emergency vets. As to cutting my own, not in this situation because I would be way too emotional. Sage puked up foam. Frankie puked up about half of it, chewed into tiny little pieces. Right now I have my fingers crossed that he chewed the whole thing that thoroughly and the rest will pass. Corn cobs are a very common foreign body to find during surgery, which is why I am so mad at myself. Fingers still crossed that Frankie does not need surgery.

The irony of this whole situation is that Frankie doesn't eat things normally. I've come home to find him perched on the counter next to all sorts of yummy food, meat included, that he has left untouched.

Here's hoping that everything passes through ok.

DH gave his aussie a whole corn cob a couple weeks back and he had no issues (other than me getting PO'd at DH for feeding it to the dog).

Interestingly enough, at the clinic I work at we have yet to see a corn cob as an FB. Lots of fruit pits though...

I know it wouldn be the best but, Kirby had to have this surgery and I expected that I would carry him from the clinic and he would have days of recovery. It was almost like nothing happened. I kept him resting but, no evidence of pain in him. Out of the blue at 5 years old he ate my kitchen carpet.

haha, I can just picture my boy doing something similar to this! I found 'some' 'small' amounts of remains of an avocado pear left by my boy, just two pieces of skin left and the pip, licked clean, nothing else was found. He succesfully pealed and ate a whole avo :rolleyes:

I always wonder if it's bad for dogs but then realise that only avo is toxic to parrots :D

I used to free-feed the cats. Suka stayed out of their food (for the most part). Dakota, OTOH. I left the food down one night only. I actually caught her at it... One big sluuuurp of her washcloth-sized toungue, and the bowl was empty and clean. :rolleyes: Then she looked over at the cat food bag... :D The last thing I needed was a massive dog with a digestive system all loaded up with fragments of catfood bag!

Yeah, you can bet I changed that arrangement! The cats were not pleased, and Dakota look rather put out, too. Dakota can causally place her chin on the counters, so all kinds of other arrangements changed, too - All the food that I'd previously left serenely on the counters - Apples, bananas, bread... All of it went up and out of reach! The kids weren't best pleased, either! :D