BC Boards

BIG Spiders are scary!!!

Beware of BIG spiders! My poor BJ was just trying to save us from nasty BIG spiders. It was a wood spider that came in from outside and BJ found it. He got stung bad. His eyes were so swollen, that he could barely see, and his muzzle was swollen as well.

A quick trip to the emergency vet, a shot of benedryl, a shot of steroids and $125 later, he is back home, sleeping off the effects of the meds.

I HATE SPIDERS!!! :mad:

(The pics aren't too good. Took them with my phone at the vets office.)

swollenBJ2.jpg

swollenBJ.jpg

One of my dogs got bit/stung by something a couple weeks ago also. His whole underjaw and mouth were very swollen. A shot of Benydryl and a shot of steroid and $150 bill from my vet. He was fine the next morning. I never did find out what it was that bit him.

I hope he's better. I hate spiders too, nothing good can come from them. I would have stomped on him too.

Poor baby! Hope he is starting to feel better! Last year when Jackson was still a pup, when the giant bees we get here started coming out, Jackson would catch them and get stung! After three swollen lips he finally decided that was one "motion" not worth chasing!

Just to let eveyone know, BJ is fine now. His swelling didn't go down completely until yesterday. I guess when the fluid builds up, it takes time for the body to absorb it. I was so worried about leaving him alone yesterday, that I brought him to work with me. He slept most of the day (I guess because of the Benydryl at 5am).

I did find the spider. :eek: It was dead. He either bit into or killed it after it stung him. It was about 2 1/2 inches in diamemter (legs included) Yuck, yuck, yuck!!!

We now have Benydryl on hand just in case he decides to slay more bad, nasty critters.

I'm glad he's ok.

Oh Geez! All this talk about spiders recently. I hope you guys know that I had a dream last night where I got bit on the forehead by what I thought was a giant brown recluse hanging from the ceiling. I fainted, but luckly some dashing young man was there to rescue me and call an ambulance. :rolleyes: Some nurse said it was probably a "bell" spider :confused: , swabbed my forehead with something and told me to "drink this" and whala! I was good as new. Gotta love that dream medicine!

My trainer has told me that activated charcoal also works really well for reactions to bites and stings. She always keeps it on hand and even uses it herself since she is allergic to bees. I haven't had to use it yet myself, but am thinking that I would prefer it over medication, so am going to buy some.