BC Boards

I hate ticks!

BNM1980

At the start of summer I let Blake charge about through the forest off-lead, crash through fernbrake and roll around in the grass. It was an act of newb stupidity. Over the next three or four days, I found 23 ticks on his body and after treatment another six fell off dead.

That's 29 ticks people!

Since then, I've been more careful but we hike every day and he is still picking them up at the rate of about one or two per week.

I know that ticks crawl to the end of grass stalks and wait for an animal to brush past. But, as I am a bit squeamish, I'm being very careful to make sure Blake does not brush up against vegetation during our hikes. And the trail I'm keeping to for summer is pretty wide.

So is it possible these ticks are in the dead leaves that carpet the trail and on which Blake sits for the occasional rest? Unless they're parachuting from the treetops onto his back, I'm perplexed.

Blake has a collar and gets a monthly topical Spot On-type treatment. Is that enough? And short of avoiding the forests, is there any way to reduce his contact with ticks? And what kind of vegetation accommodates ticks? Is it just grass or can they wait on tree leaves and fern fronds as well? Could he even be picking them up from the concrete outside where there are swarms of stray cats prowling around at night?

Thanks in advance for your general tick-avoidance and treatment related feedback.

—Ben and Blake.

In my experience, ticks are on all the foliage that's at my dog's height. If he walks through grass or brushes against leaves, he gets them. I'm fairly certain that they are in the underbrush, too - what if they didn't latch onto another dog who brushed past, and gravity took them down? They have to start from below to climb up into the leaves, right?

I also hate ticks. Aiiee.

Mary

I use Frontline, so rarely do i actually see a tick on the dogs, but I'm a different story, so I've pretty much sworn of hiking in the woods for the next few months because they are so bad this year - the last hike I picked 3 off before the first 150 yards!

I have found a nifty product to remove those I don't catch before they latch on: the tick spoon!! It makes removing them so easy (I've just used it on dogs at the shelter so far) and I don't have to touch the gross little things. The ones I have are "Ticked Off" brand and were $6 for 3!

I think ticks can await their victims on foilage of any height, and that includes trees. I've found ticks on my head that most certainly didn't climb all the way up my body, so the best explanation is that they dropped off tree branches. (For example, I was out in a cow pasture a couple of weekends ago at a sheepdog trial and the grass was not at all tall. I cleared an area for my tent and in the process walked repeatedly under some low-hanging cedar branches. Not long after, I find a tick at the nape of my neck. I'm pretty sure it didn't crawl up from the short grass to get there.)

J.

Thanks for the information everyone. So it's as I suspected.

Regarding treatment, I have a bottle of something here called GreenTix which I've yet to use.

GREENTIX

100 mL

Composition

(100 mL CONTAINS)

Amitraz...................12.5g

Excipients................Q.S.

The instructions explain the measurements for bathing and spraying but do not indicate how often to use it.

How often would I need to bathe Blake to ensure he's tick-free? And would you recommend using it together with the topical Spot-On treatment, or is that overkill?

By the way, what is the active ingredient of Frontline, which everyone seems to use? You can't get it where I live.

If I remember correctly, Spot-on is an over the counter, find it in any drug store kind of tick med. If it's the one I'm thinking of, don't bother using it. It doesn't work. It's cheap for a reason. Call your vet and ask what he/she is using locally. Frontline or Advantage are the two popular ones and from what I hear, locality dictates which one works best. My vet in WY uses Frontline and my vet in VA recommends Advantage. Both can be ordered online WAY cheaper than what the vets sell them for. Some of the farm stores, like CT Farm and Tractor, sell it too.

IMO, ticks meds are not a cure all. They show up on my dogs no matter what is used. I don't use anything unless I'm going to be in a high tick zone for a long period of time. That's just me though. I live in a low to no tick zone.

Just a clarification to the above: the Advantage product that controls/kills ticks is called Advantix. Regular Advantage will not do anything for ticks, only fleas.

BNM,

Amitraz is the same ingredient that's in Preventic collars, and folks seem to swear by them. I can't give you advice on how much or how often for the GreenTix. Maybe call the manufacturer?

J.

WOMAN: I'm sorry, this dog is sick. He doesn't bark. He goes tick, tick, tick.

SHOPKEEPER: Yes, ma'am. That's because he's a watchdog!

WOMAN: Well, if he's a watchdog, why is he running around in circles?

SHOPKEEPER: He's all wound up!

What goes "woof, woof, tick, tick?"

A watchdog.

What's the difference between dogs and ticks?

Dogs can have ticks but a tick can't have dogs.

What's a dog's favourite hobby?

Collecting ticks!

And don't forget

The Tick and his sidekick Arthur the Moth.

the-tick.jpg

Couldn't resist.

Just a clarification to the above: the Advantage product that controls/kills ticks is called Advantix. Regular Advantage will not do anything for ticks, only fleas.

BNM,

Amitraz is the same ingredient that's in Preventic collars, and folks seem to swear by them. I can't give you advice on how much or how often for the GreenTix. Maybe call the manufacturer?

J.

My bad. I didn't know there was a difference. Thanks!

Desertranger.....That's some funny stuff :rolleyes:

BTW, in2adventure, the topical treatment my vet is giving me is Advocate by Bayer, not Spot On. It contains,

100 g/L Imidacloprid

25 g/L Moxidectin

isn't moxidectin the main ingreident in the pro-heart six heartworm shot that casued some major issues? I know it's the same as Cydectin the wormer I've used on sheep?

just wondering?

eta

this is what I found on bayer's site:

Welcome to Advocate®/Advantage multi®

THE Endectocide that does what you expect. Try it – trust it.

This product delivers what others only promise: Broad protection against common internal as well as external parasites in dogs and cats - in one product and with one spot-on application only!

Advocate which is registered under the trademark Advantage Multi in several countries, combines excellent flea and lice efficacy (imidacloprid) with sound protecion against heartworm infestations, gastrointestinal worms as well as mites (moxidectin).

Being the Companion Animal parasiticide with the most complete spectrum of indications available, a one spot-on application per month safeguards against a very large range of parasites in cats and dogs.

Advocate is a combination of imidacloprid and moxidectin, designed for simple dermal spot-on application which allows an easy and stress-free application. In addition, it gives the possibility to treat and prevent against a large range of parasites:

What could be simpler for pet owners to remember and more reassuring for a vet to prescribe?

Advocate does it.

Advocate is an ideal product offering

heartworm prevention

flea and lice treatment and prevention of flea infestations. The product can be also used as part of a treatment strategy for FAD (Flea Allergy Dermatitis)

gastrointestinal worm control including several larval stages

treatment of lungworms in dogs (Angiostrongylus vasorum)

control of ear mites in cats and dogs

control of sarcoptic mange in dogs

control of Demodex mites in dogs

BMN1980 is this what you use?

Desertranger,

Funny!! :rolleyes: Hopefully you don't get chastised for making light of a serious subject.. :D

I probably will get my ass chewed. :D That's OK, take a bite. :D Hope you like the taste of scar tissue. :D

Every subject can handle a little humor. I used to crack jokes during some very tense situations when I was a ranger. In the end it was always appreciated and can break the tension which is sometimes badly needed. Occasionally even the victim appreciated it.

I have resisted posting this answer to other tick threads, it's about due.

And please never forget we all share many of the problems including heartworm, mites, ticks... Parvo.

Joey Chestnut won his third hotdog eating contest today beating his opponent by a single tick of the clock.

I probably will get my ass chewed. :D That's OK, take a bite. :D Hope you like the taste of scar tissue. :rolleyes:

Every subject can handle a little humor. I used to crack jokes during some very tense situations when I was a ranger. In the end it was always appreciated and can break the tension which is sometimes badly needed. Occasionally even the victim appreciated it.

I have resisted posting this answer to other tick threads, it's about due.

And please never forget we all share many of the problems including heartworm, mites, ticks... Parvo.

Joey Chestnut won his third hotdog eating contest today beating his opponent by a single tick of the clock.

:D:D Even Scooter moaned at that one! LOL!

I don't know if anyone could hate ticks more than I do. I have had serious problems with ticks since moving to Arizona. Lotta experience dealing with ticks, unfortunately.

Here's my 2 cents worth:

What you can buy inexpensively in a grocery store or PetSmart will never work.

Frontline works......sometimes, some of the time, and for a while. If you have a real tick problem, the Frontline can stop working because the ticks simply adapt to it and get stronger, the way viruses do to antibiotics. The only solution is to move, which I did.

Advantix works better, but they can adjust to that as well and it can become ineffective.

****NOTE.....if you have a cat, do not use Advantix unless 1) you keep dog and cat strictly apart for at least 3 days, then bathe the dog before allowing contact with the cat, or, 2) the dog and the cat are never close to one another, never share the same bedding, etc. contact with Advantix can kill a cat.****

No treatment will work all that wekk unless the environment is also treated. The yard needs to be sprayed because even if they are picking up ticks in the woods, they may bring home a few that you kiss, who could fall off in the yard (or house) and start to breed. If they get in the house, it will need to be treated as well.

Ticks can land from above, and can jump from one dog to another, and onto a dog from any kind of foliage, any height whatever.

Ticks can live without eating for 10 years or more, then come out as soon as there is a nice warm dog present and start eating and reproducing.

A tick colony can start and grow to invasion proportions in only a couple of weeks. Trust me, I know this is true. They have millions of babies.

I hope that *no* one reading this has the kind of trouble I have had with ticks. During the summer here, it is a daily activity to pull ticks off my dogs, in spite of the use of Frontline, and I spray the whole dog yard twice a month.

D'Elle

Make sure you ask your vet every now and then if Frontline (or whatever you use) is working in your area. Frontline doesn't really work around here anymore. :rolleyes:

We use Sevin every now and then, which helps a lot.

I hate ticks so much. During the worst of tick season we end up pulling off a handful of ticks from the dogs near everyday (ticks love my grandmother's acreage).

By the way, if you don't have one of those tick spoons (love 'em!) handy, a regular black plastic comb works decently to get them off too.

Make sure you ask your vet every now and then if Frontline (or whatever you use) is working in your area. Frontline doesn't really work around here anymore. :rolleyes:

We use Sevin every now and then, which helps a lot.

I hate ticks so much. During the worst of tick season we end up pulling off a handful of ticks from the dogs near everyday (ticks love my grandmother's acreage).

By the way, if you don't have one of those tick spoons (love 'em!) handy, a regular black plastic comb works decently to get them off too.

I am only familliar with Sevin as an insect spray for plants. Do they make a product that is safe to use on dogs? Or do you spray that in your yard or area? I am about at my wit's end with the tick problem. Other people who live here have said to me that they ust Frontline and have NO ticks on their dogs. But with everything that I am doing I still pull several off them every day.

I****NOTE.....if you have a cat, do not use Advantix unless 1) you keep dog and cat strictly apart for at least 3 days, then bathe the dog before allowing contact with the cat, or, 2) the dog and the cat are never close to one another, never share the same bedding, etc. contact with Advantix can kill a cat.****

This isn't exactly true. I use Advantix and have cats. I resisted for a long time because of statements like the one here. But finally when I was struggling with Frontline not working, my vet said to me that she had both cats and dogs and used Advantix on the dogs without any ill effects. The main thing is that the Advantix be allowed to dry before a cat gets anywhere near it and also that the cat doesn't make a habit of grooming the dogs. I have one older cat who sleeps on my bed along with several of my dogs. When I apply Advantix, I do so in the morning so that it's good and dry by night time. If possible, I'll wait till I'm on the road to a trial and do my trial dogs then, as it's away from the cats and from swimming holes. But there are still dogs who stay home and also are treated. If you use common sense, you can safely use Advantix with cats in the household--I've been doing so for 3 or 4 years now.

WRT to Sevin, it comes in powder form for use on plants. My mom used to use it on the dogs and it seemed to work back then, though there is something of an ick factor if your dogs cuddle with you or similar stuff. Becca (Rebecca, Irena Farm) on this forum has recently reported using Sevin dust on her dogs with good results.

J.

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying something new. I have citronella oil, several drops of which I mix with a few drops of glycerin and then put in a small spray bottle which I fill up with water. This I spray all over my dogs, rubbing it in down to the skin, every other day. And I am finding much fewer ticks. (so far, so good...hope it keeps working)

Thanks for the further info on Advantix. I have always been scared to use it around cats.....