BC Boards

How often do you clip nails?

We're trying to clip as needed. We walk her on concrete sidewalks sometimes which helps keep them filed. We bought the pedipaws gadget you're talking about. Our dog HATES the buzzing/vibrating and bites at it. We don't use anymore.

After reading the clip nail thread - it struck me that I probably not having the dogs' nails cut often enough. How often do you get them trimmed? Also - that nail filing gadget that they show on TV - is it any good?

Hi,

I trim nails every week or two and use a nail grinder.

Janet

Like Kim, I have given up cllipping in favor of dremeling; I aim for every week, but it's usually every 2-3 weeks, depending on how much walking on concrete the dogs have been doing.

I have one really noise-sensitive dog, so it is taking him longer to relax during his sessions than the other two, but I don't see going back to clipping anytime soon. I've never been that good at clipping with any animal (grew up trimming sheep and goat hooves, in addition to dog ones), and I can get the nails shorter and smoother with the dremel.

BTW, everything I've read about the Pedipaws (or whatever that mini-dremel-gadget is called) says it's a waste of money. If you decide to go that route, I'd just buy a dremel instead.

Lewie needs his done every two weeks. As soon as he starts clicking on the hardwood floors, it's time.

I bought the original, Peticure, which works very well and is nothing more than a dremmel with a guard on it. I do recommend it. However, I've been told the knock-off, Petipaws, is worthless. I paid $60 and the knock-off is $20. I guess you get what you pay for.

I bought the original, Peticure, which works very well and is nothing more than a dremmel with a guard on it. I do recommend it. However, I've been told the knock-off, Petipaws, is worthless. I paid $60 and the knock-off is $20. I guess you get what you pay for.

Thanks for that clarification, Patty. I guess I didn't even realize there was an original, quality product--had just been reading a lot about people's unhappiness with the Petipaws that has been so heavily advertised lately. Maybe I should have gone with the Peticure and its guard, too, since I always seem to skin up my own nails while grinding down the dogs'! :rolleyes:

Wow, everyone clips nails often!

Blaze didn't need his clipped but once every couple months when he was younger because we spent alot of time walking on pavement roads, but since they've started doing alot of construction in that area we've started trimming more often.

I also use a dremmel, unless the dog's nails are too long. Then I will trim, then dremmel.

I either clip a lot or don't clip at all depending on the season. When there's snow on the ground the nails grow quickly and I clip them at least once a week on most of my dogs, some of them I do every few days to keep them at just the right length. When the ground is hard and dry my guys all wear their nails down so much that they don't need any trimming, except possibly the dew claws, though some of them don't even need that. To be honest, I worry about how much Flurry wears his down, I'm surprised they don't hurt.

Ummm... never?! Wait, strike that - we bought a Peticure or something like that thingy for $20 and managed to touch his nails on two occasions, with a lot of positive conditioning, etc, etc... I still ended up laying on my dog while my husband was polishing away his nails. That was two months ago. Before that... two years ago at Petsmart for $7? :D Oh, the advantages of walking my dog on pavement three times a day :rolleyes::D :D

With Holly we do trim her nails sometimes. Not as often as most of you on here though. About once every couple of months i would guess. They wear down quite well naturally but every so often they need a trim, especially the dew claws.

Zac on the other hand has the other problem, his are too short. We have to be really careful with him. He seems to dig his nails in when he chases anything. We try and make sure he only runs on grass because he has worn all his claws right down. I wish his would grow quicker. I don't think we have ever trimmed his.

I clip nails every other Friday, however if we have a show that weekend, I leave them long so that they can dig in and wear it down themselves. I would like to dremel, much less worry on my part, but I'm afraid that my two miniature schnauzers' hair would get caught. I have seen some made specifically for pets with the hair guard, but it doesn't look that effective to me. Anybody had any experience with keeping long hair out of a dremel (their feet are trimmed somewhat, but it's still not short)?

I try to clip my dogs' nails at least once a week. They probably wouldn't need it so much if I wasn't afraid to cut them back like they should be. So to keep them real short, I keep up with it by doing it every week. My dogs would prefer not to have their nails clipped but I've made it more tolerable by giving them a treat after every 2 or 3 nails. Once they see one dog laying getting their nails clipped, they all come around and lay for their turn. It's cute! :rolleyes:

Don't have any experience with the gadget seen on tv but I've tried the Dremel and 2 are terrified of the noise and the aussie is having no parts of the vibration! They are fine with the clippers so I won't even open that can of worms.

Michele

Chase, Gypsy and Hughie

Anybody had any experience with keeping long hair out of a dremel (their feet are trimmed somewhat, but it's still not short)?

I bought a dremel but haven't used it yet. In the instructions, they had a tip for keeping hair away. They said to put a nylon stocking on the paw and pull the nails through so the nails are sticking out but the hair is pulled back.

I bought a dremel but haven't used it yet. In the instructions, they had a tip for keeping hair away. They said to put a nylon stocking on the paw and pull the nails through so the nails are sticking out but the hair is pulled back.

Also, be careful about not getting your dogs tail or butt hair caught in the dremel(she says from experience=). If you have long hair, keep it out of the way too....

Janet

I'm interested to hear if other folks have had luck with this system (I know I read it in an online guide--by DoberDawn, I believe--when I bought my dremel). I tried it with Spirit, my pyr mix, with really bad results. I thought he was extremely freaked out by the dremeling itself, but the first time I tackled his nails without the nylon, he was much calmer--turns out, it was having the stocking pulled over his foot that was bothering him the most.

Spirit has some serious toe fur, so I usually trim it with scissors before dremeling his nails. If I'm lazy, though, I just use the fingers of my non-dremeling hand to extract the nail from all the surrounding fur, holding the fur away from the nail I'm working on. His furry feet have actually turned out to be less of a problem when dremeling than I expected them to be.

I *should* do it every 2 weeks. It's usually 4-5 weeks but always a check to see if they need to be done before a competition/etc. My dogs are on concrete/pavement pretty close to never.

I clip with scissor shaped dog nail-cutters - used to dremel after the main clip to smooth, but didn't really see the need anymore as I've gotten really good at getting the nails at a good angle so they aren't super sharp. I use the cutters to make the main cut then sliver off small cross sections until I get down to where I want an the angle I want.

The best thing I ever learned about clipping was that when you get close to the quick, you'll see a white 'dot' in the nail. AWESOME info for black nails - as I have 48 black nails and 24 clear ones to cut.