BC Boards

Smell Of Dogs Feet

I am all for doggy kisses on the face! But I know it completely grosses out most of my family and friends. LOL. It's funny because I'm a complete germ-o-phobe with people, but not so much with dogs (even if they aren't mine!)

And, yep- there's something comforting about the Dorito feet. :D I find it to be earthy and grounding somehow.

Color me strange!! :rolleyes:

I'm exactly the same funny enough, i worry about diseases and germs all the time (although not compulsive :D ) but wouldn't think twice about letting my dog kiss me :D

The more I see this thread the more I think it must be April 1st!!

But OK I will go with it. Are Fritto feet confined to BCs.?

Are all dogs Fritto footed I wonder. Would those with other breeds please do some foot sniffing? :rolleyes:

Perhaps we can develop a new way of identifying mixed breeds . Front feet Fritto, back feet Marshmallow. Run to breeding book, oh, Marshmallow that means Dalmatian. So we have a Comatian or a Dallollie. The possibilities are endless!

Are all dogs Fritto footed I wonder.

We had this exact same discussion on an all-breed forum I'm on, and others said the same thing (Frito feet) about there none-bc dogs. :rolleyes:

As a rapidly reforming partisan cat person, one of my biggest preferences of cats over dogs was the smell - I think most cats smell nice and most dogs kind of don't. Mesto smelled wonderful, to me - I would just bury my face in him daily. But I realized I think it has to do with my allergies to animals - I think the unpleasantness of the allergies equates to "smell bad" in my head. I am way more allergic to dogs in general, but can get used to individual animals sort of like allergy shots. So now I think Odin smells pretty good, mostly, and never mind his fur smell even when it's getting 'doggy', which I used to hate.

But dogfeet smell - totally different! It's true but how can they smell exactly like Fritos?? And I am in the league of the disgusting who yes, allow kisses from dogs, cats, and even rats. Odin gives me polite, tip-of-the-tongue kisses. I especially like slow licks, where his tongue stops on my hand and he just looks and me with it stuck there :rolleyes: I believe in an immune system and am not a germaphobe, but no need to go completely overboard, either. This woman at work actually encourages Odin to just bathe her face all over when she takes him out of his crate to say "hi". It kinda gives me the creeps to watch, but they seem to enjoy it and more importantly he seems to realize she's nuts and that behavior doesn't translate to others.

The more I see this thread the more I think it must be April 1st!!

Are all dogs Fritto footed I wonder. Would those with other breeds please do some foot sniffing? :rolleyes:

Perhaps we can develop a new way of identifying mixed breeds . Front feet Fritto, back feet Marshmallow. Run to breeding book, oh, Marshmallow that means Dalmatian. So we have a Comatian or a Dallollie. The possibilities are endless!

Hi Elizabeth, no this beautiful biscuity smell is not unique to Border Collies, i first witnessed it when i was about 10 years old with my Labrador Retriever and have been sniffing dogs feet ever since! :D

As a rapidly reforming partisan cat person, one of my biggest preferences of cats over dogs was the smell - I think most cats smell nice and most dogs kind of don't. Mesto smelled wonderful, to me - I would just bury my face in him daily. But I realized I think it has to do with my allergies to animals - I think the unpleasantness of the allergies equates to "smell bad" in my head. I am way more allergic to dogs in general, but can get used to individual animals sort of like allergy shots. So now I think Odin smells pretty good, mostly, and never mind his fur smell even when it's getting 'doggy', which I used to hate.

But dogfeet smell - totally different! It's true but how can they smell exactly like Fritos?? And I am in the league of the disgusting who yes, allow kisses from dogs, cats, and even rats. Odin gives me polite, tip-of-the-tongue kisses. I especially like slow licks, where his tongue stops on my hand and he just looks and me with it stuck there :rolleyes: I believe in an immune system and am not a germaphobe, but no need to go completely overboard, either. This woman at work actually encourages Odin to just bathe her face all over when she takes him out of his crate to say "hi". It kinda gives me the creeps to watch, but they seem to enjoy it and more importantly he seems to realize she's nuts and that behavior doesn't translate to others.

Oh Allergies, don't talk to me about allergies and cats! I have a really bad severe allergy to cats, i was in Spain a few years ago at a zoo, and held a lion cub, about 1/2 hour later driving through the mountains with my wife, sister in law and brother in law in the back of the car, i started coming out in red itchy spots and rashes all over my body, i had to stop off at a village pharmacy in the mountains to get some antihistimines.

However, i've since inherited my late mums and dads cats, who are about 15 years old now, but i'm so allergic to them that if my wife picks one up, then 1 hr later gives me a kiss, my lips start burning so badly i have to put a cold flannel on them.

Also, the cats make me sneeze, eyes itch/go red/water, and make my chest weeze and difficult for me to breath.....

The cats are therefore not allowed in the house, they have a dog kennel to live in the garde.

Its strange though how dogs do not affect me in any way shape or form....

However, i've since inherited my late mums and dads cats, who are about 15 years old now, but i'm so allergic to them that if my wife picks one up, then 1 hr later gives me a kiss, my lips start burning so badly i have to put a cold flannel on them.

Also, the cats make me sneeze, eyes itch/go red/water, and make my chest weeze and difficult for me to breath.....

Its strange though how dogs do not affect me in any way shape or form....

I'm an equal-opportunity allergic, all animals (cats, dogs, rats, horses, cows, goats, even pet herps like snakes) get me going to some degree. But I refuse to avoid it if I like the animal in question. For 2 months after I got Odin I had to double up on my prescription allergy and asthma meds and still had the *worst* hives - it was appalling to people who knew me and totally baffling to my MD. But as I was walking around in a blissed-out state over my new puppy, I could care less. Now all my reactivity to him is gone - my immune system wisely threw in the towel on that one. It knows how stubborn my brain is, lol.

But I really can't avoid the thing that gets me the worst - pollen. So I became a plant ecologist and work outside when things are growing and flowering and shedding pollen. Makes sense, right? :rolleyes: Right now, THIS is the bane of my existence -->

Lolium_multiflorum2.jpg

Italian ryegrass, my mortal enemy. And the sucky thing is it shouldn't even be here at all. Jerkgrass. :D:D

Hi Elizabeth, no this beautiful biscuity smell is not unique to Border Collies, i first witnessed it when i was about 10 years old with my Labrador Retriever and have been sniffing dogs feet ever since! :rolleyes:

Ditto. My late lab mix had popcorn feet, too.

:D

Humm. I am wondering if the smell is somehow linked to what we feed them?

Anyone feed raw? If so, what do your dogs feet smell like? lol

Wasn't someone on here looking for a research project for a college class?

Well, I did it. I smelled Jake's feet.. and well, they don't smell like Fritos or popcorn. They smell like the earth, which I was pleased to smell. I feed a high-quality 'kibble' diet with variety of eggs, cottage cheese, and cooked chicken, a little EVOO here and there (he has had dry skin) I do agree with a RAW diet, and was considering it, until one evening, I gave Jake a small piece of raw chicken, and he gagged on it, so much so, he lost his dinner.

Anyone want to take the next logical step in our experiment? LOL

For the multiple dog households -- a blind sniff test. Can you tell one dog from the other based on feet alone? I can, but I'm thinking it's the size of the paws more than any actual difference in scent (70-lb boxer lab vs. border collie puppy)

Okay...I feel SO strange for posting this! LOL :rolleyes:

I only recall two out of my dogs throughout my life having the nice smelly paws, one was a Lab Retreiver as mentioned above and the other is my Border Collie.

However, i would say they both smelt the same, and thats from memory as it was some 25 years ago when i had my Lab so that smell certainly made an impression with me.