BC Boards

Fibromyalgia rearing it's ugly head again

Winter seems to be the worst time for me, and it's been brutally cold and icy here, for this part of the country at least. Since my husband had his triple by-pass, the poor circulation in his leg, where they took the veins, makes it difficult for him to walk any distance. And when the fibro kicks in, I feel like I've been run over by a truck--everything hurts--even my fingernails! Usually, we can keep up with Scooter, as the fibro tends to was and wane, but at times like this I feel guilty that I can't get out and walk Scooter (since I'm the one who walks him), and wonder if we did him a disservice by taking him in. We have a large area in the basement where he can run around and play ball, hide and seek, etc., which we do several times a day, and if it isn't too icy, we take him outside in the back yard and let him run and play "soccer." I know walking him is important and I worry that the lack of exercise will cause him to put on the pounds. Really not fair to him. What is it CM always says? Exercise, discipline, affection. Right now, it's two out of three. :rolleyes: He's such a good boy, and very patient, but I can tell he's getting cabin fever! I just want the very best for him, and right now, it feels like we're not doing such a hot job...I think tomorrow is supposed to be in the 30's (a heat wave!). Hoping to get him out for a walk then. Just feeling down today I guess--physically and mentally.

Hang in there. Try to remember that "this too shall pass".

Scooter will be OK without a good walk till you're feeling up to it.

Do you have any neighbors/family/friends who could fill in the gap for you while you're feeling punky?

*gentle hug*

I think they are very adaptable, so you shouldn't have to worry so much. I don't remember who now told me, Julie or Wendy (lenajo) but when I was restricting Odin's activity and feeling worse and worse about it must be affecting him mentally, one of them very rightfully told me it certainly would not hurt him to be inactive for some time. And he is a bonkers puppy! Winter in cold climates is a normal time for both cabin fever AND for generally taking it easier, I think. Scooter will be fine, and the more mental stimulation, the less the lack of exercise will drive you both crazy. Here's hoping you feel better soon!

at times like this I feel guilty that I can't get out and walk Scooter (since I'm the one who walks him), and wonder if we did him a disservice by taking him in.

oh, PLEASE don't feel that way. Just think of the dogs in shelters or strays on the street that would LOVE to be in his place at your home! He is loved and taken care of, what more can a dog (or person) ask for? And if he can't lead what you think would be an "ideal" life for a while, well, he'll get by that. When the weather breaks and you all get healthier, then you can make it up to him (although I'll bet he doesn't find fault with his life at all!) I agree with Ooky...dogs are very adaptable.

Just love him and enjoy him and be thankful for him....and lose the guilt. We all do the best that we can...and I know by reading your posts over the past 6 months that you do, too. :rolleyes:

Hey as far as mental activity, how about teaching him some service dog tasks so he can help you and DH when you're not feeling 100% - he'll get some good mental activity and a job out of it and you'll be able to lose the guilt! I know my Maggie loves learning new service tasks even though she doesn't use them much (I taught them just for fun, though they have come in handy a few times with various injuries I've sustained lol).

Hey as far as mental activity, how about teaching him some service dog tasks so he can help you and DH when you're not feeling 100% - he'll get some good mental activity and a job out of it and you'll be able to lose the guilt! I know my Maggie loves learning new service tasks even though she doesn't use them much (I taught them just for fun, though they have come in handy a few times with various injuries I've sustained lol).

That's a good idea. He already knows "you get it" and will pick up something and bring it back to me. He loves learning new things--very intense, very focused. Has already learned the names of all his new Christmas toys. I'll have to see what else I want him to do. We're still working on getting him to put his toys back in the basket! :rolleyes::D

I know one person with fibro that has taught her dog to help take off socks and shoes, retrieve anything (including metal stuff, credit cards, etc.), etc. There's always teaching the dog to alert to certain sounds (I taught Maggie to tell me when water was boiling in the teapot lol), opening and shutting doors/drawers, some people even use their trained dogs as heating pads (Ziva curls up by my tummy at "that time of the month" and it really is the perfect kind of heat).

There's always teaching the dog to alert to certain sounds (I taught Maggie to tell me when water was boiling in the teapot lol)

How do you teach them to alert you to sounds? :rolleyes: I am always looking to teach Cressa and Troy new and useful tricks.

Stella

I am sorry to hear you are unwell. You should look after yourself for now. I bet Scooter will be just fine and it sounds as if you have plenty of room for him to run around in the house. I think Scooter is a lucky dog to live with you and be cared for so well.

Sending my very best wishes .

I just associate the sound I want the dog alerting to with food or some other fun activity enough times that the dog comes to find me for the reward when they hear the sound.

For the teapot, I kept a container of treats by the stove and then when I'd hear the whistle, we'd race to the stove for a cookie and then I'd remove the teapot from the stove and cookies would stop. I started initially in the same room as the stove, then added distance as Maggie got the idea. If you want to teach the dog to physically alert you - Maggie just approaches me and stares lol - you'd also want to get the dog to nudge or jump on you before going to the stove and rewarding.

Sorry to hear about the fibromyalgia. You shouldn't feel guilty about something you don't have control over. As far as going for walks, I don't find that they do much to satisfy Quinn's need for exercise. Is there any way you can play fetch with Scooter in the backyard? I've been known to sit on my patio, bundled up, and throw a chuck-it or Frisbee when I've been ill. I also agree training tricks inside, exercising his mind, will go a long way to keeping him settled without placing too much stress on yourself right now. But first and foremost, give yourself some slack and do what you need to so you can get better. Scooter will survive just fine in the meantime and he sounds darn lucky that he found a home with you!

We sometimes play this silly game: tie an old shoe to a rope, hang it at just-reachable height and put a treat inside:

DSCF3513kl.jpg

If the shoe has room to swing, and the dog is impatient like our Kyla here, there's quite a bit of unusual exercise involved. The shoe has to be a retired one though, for after you take it down, it will be revisited as soon as you look the other way.

We sometimes play this silly game: tie an old shoe to a rope, hang it at just-reachable height and put a treat inside:

DSCF3513kl.jpg

If the shoe has room to swing, and the dog is impatient like our Kyla here, there's quite a bit of unusual exercise involved. The shoe has to be a retired one though, for after you take it down, it will be revisited as soon as you look the other way.

Ohhhhh...that looks like a fun game for everyone, and obviously, a great photo op! Thanks! :rolleyes:

BC4ever- I too suffer from Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue, and depression. :D

So I understand about skipping a day- or a few- of running dogs. It can be hard. And the guilt doesn't help.

I know how the Dr's keep telling us to keep go, go, going through the pain and keep moving, and all, but how can we keep on going when the pain gets so bad?!? The more we do the longer we are "down for", so I definitely hear you. It can be rough!

I hope that you are feeling relief soon from your Fibro flare up. *Sends healing thoughts and gentle hugs*

P.S.

My dogs often have to put up with a mellow form of catch inside while I lie on the sofa or fetching a 2 liter bottle and chewing it up for exercise! :rolleyes:

That's hard...my husband has hyperthyroidism. So sometimes he has no energy for the dogs. He would take them to the dog park and let them run their hearts out.

But with your type of pain; you could have your dog trained to do service dog stuff like others suggested such as reviving things for you. I remember I had Aspen to get me an orange for me when I had a broken foot. She was NOT happy when she saw me "wrecking her ball" after she ran and got the "ball" for me. That was a funny memory.

Hope you feel better soon. Love the hanging shoe idea!

Thank you to everyone for their good ideas and empathy for my ailment. I know there are a lot of people coping with worse things than fibro, but it's still painful and frustrating when I'm going through a flare up. I'm fortunate to have a very forgiving and patient dog! :D DH on the other hand seems to think I should be able to just keep going, like some doctors think. During one particularly bad time, he said to me, "Ya know, I find that if I just don't think about it, I feel better." :D I suppose that does work--if he doesn't think about how bad I'm feeling, he feels better! :rolleyes: Gotta love 'em! :D

Nepsa, I had to laugh at the story about Aspen fetching you an orange! :D I can just imagine the look you got for that one! :D

I'm going to put on my new thermal underwear and take Scooter for a short walk around the neighborhood, before the next round of freezing rain and snow rolls in some time tomorrow. I think it's going to be a looooong Winter!

Pam - Dogs are amazingly resilient. Sometimes, they cannot be exercised the way we would like; but in the end, what they really need is love, as portrayed in the essay below, and you provide that and more. DW has mobility problems, and cannot always keep up with Annie during the day; but in the end, our vet tells us that Annie is a happy, well-adjusted dog whose only problem is that she is too mellow from all the love that she gets...

When I perform a task for you, a quick pat or a kind word are all the thanks I need. When you hurt, I try to make you feel better with my silly antics and my persistent desire to comfort you. When your legs or arms don't work, mine will gladly take over for you. If I can save you steps or if I can reach what you can't, tell me and I will retrieve it for you. All I need in return is love.

When pain or despair fills your day, let me relieve it. I give kisses that have healing powers and I provide warm companionship. I do it gladly, for you are mine and I am yours, and all I need is love.

"Bad days" are not in my job description: I work for you and provide for you under almost every condition known to man and dog. If I can't help you, due to an injury or illness, I am still worried about you and concerned for you, and all I need is love.

The days may be long and full, but still, I do my best for you, my partner, because this is my very life. I live to help you, and all I need is love.

In the mornings, rain or shine, snow or sleet, I am ready to do my job to the best of my ability. In the afternoons and evenings, I am still helping you any way I can. All I need is love.

When nights are long and quiet, I am still alert and waiting to assist you. Just call my name and I am there. When nights are long, and tossing and turning is what you're doing, I am ready to soothe you and help you find sleep. All I need is love.

Today, tomorrow and every day, I am there for you in many ways. My job is to serve you. My joy and my reason for being is to assist you to do whatever you can't do alone. This is what I live for. And all I need is love.

Some people call me hero - perhaps I am. Day after day, hour after hour, I am there for you: helping, loving, helping, loving. And all I need is love.

-- Kathleen McKeon