BC Boards

bedding for crate

JoeA

When my young dog was going through her destructive phase she didn't get anything in her crate - I'd rather have a dog without the creature comforts of a blankie than one in a vet hospital for an obstruction. Ziva just now got her crate bed privileges back about 3 months ago at 17 months. We tried around 14 months and she still nibbled on the edges.

I have a couple of inveterate bedding chewers, so as much as I dislike leaving them with bare floors in their crates, like Erin I have no desire for emergency surgery for obstructions or to have to constantly buy bedding. For those who don't chew, what's in their crates often depends where we are and the time of year, but usually what I use is reversible cotton bath mats (no rubber backing). The standard size folded in half fits an intermediate crate nicely. When we're traveling and it's cold, they get old blankets, afghans, etc. in there. It's hard to find the cotton bath mats anymore, but I keep an eye out whenever I'm shopping and if I see any at a good price, I buy them, because they're easy to wash/dry and they dry quickly if a wet dog has been on them.

FWIW, some of my dogs routinely push whatever bedding they have to the side and sleep on the bare crate floor anyway.

If I were desperate for cushioning for a chewer, I'd try really thick rubber mats (like rubber stall mats for horses) that fit snugly in the crate so that no corners could be gnawed on. These sorts of mats will add significantly to the weight of the crate if you want to move it around.

J.

for Shelby's crate it is an old baby blanket from goodwill :rolleyes: that was along with a bath mat(with no rubber) she'd move the blanket around however she wanted and the mat was just there for kicks

You can pick up a dense rubber mat that's used for workers who stand a long time at Office Depot or the like. They were about 10 bucks a few years ago. Cut to fit into the bottom of the crate snugly.

I like these because they're inexpensive and versatile. I can still pull one out to stand on if needed, throw it in the station wagon for extra padding under a blanket, kneel on it for gardening, hose it off if there's an accident, etc.

I agree with what the others have said - bare floor is better than a really sick dog.

Ruth

I have the rubber anti-fatigue matting that urgetoherd mentioned in our kennels. At home they have a dog bed in there on top of the matting. When we go to events, I remove the dog beds from two of the kennels as I have two dogs who will chew. Before I found these mats I had used camping mats and yoga mats cut down to kennel size.

Ceana pushes her blanket aside and uses it as a pillow. She only wants it for her head... the spoiled brat. Poke has an old tattered sheet that he loves. It is Jersey cotton and he has it spread out just right. I just bought soem pad from Ryan's Pet supply his week to try in their crates for the long drive to Colorado. Neither one of them are chewers so we will see.

Annie has a Quiet Time bed made specifically for a crate, with a raised bolster around the outside edges (it keeps her from tangling her paws in the wirde mesh when she is lying down). The beds are available at most pet supply houses; but shop the Internet carefully, as there is a wide range of pricing from vendor to vendor. (And beware of the list price on KV Vet Supply; KV now assesses an additional $5 charge if your order is less that $50.)

Alfie only gets a warm blanket when it is really cold as the house is still too warm for her. I use a old horse blanket. She is 4 yrs old so she doesn't chew any more. N

Maybe your 4-y.o. would like to have a word with my 11-y.o. to let her know she's too old to destroy her bedding (and anyone else's she can get hold of)?

J.