BC Boards

Paw fur!

To trim, or not to trim?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Do you trim paw fur, or let it grow?

• Trim the fur!
    • Let 'er grow!
    • Little bit of A, little bit of B.

Out of my four bc's, Belle grows the longest toe hairs I have ever seen, so I tell her she has hairy Hobbit toes, or Frodo toes. Her's are the only ones I trim; in the winter the long hair gets full of little snow balls if not trimmed.

Samantha

I call the fur on Chesney's feet his grinch toes. When they start to get really long I fluff up the hair between his toes and just trim off what sticks up with scissors. Otherwise he starts dragging more dirt in the house and during foxtail season, the foxtails really stick in his feet with that extra hair. If it weren't for that I would let it be.

If the dog had massive amounts of fur between their toes I'd trim and when it's been really muddy I have worked on Maggie's feet a bit to keep her from tracking half the yard into the house, but in general my girls' feet are au natural. :rolleyes:

I do trim Black Jack's paw hair. Since he's a rough coat it gets pretty long. I like it better when his paws are trimmed up and he gets less snow build in the winter.

messy feet drive me crazy,so I keep all my dogs trimmed short.I clip down the fir on the bottom till its below the pad line, from the front I spread the toes and trim out the hair, tthen I round out the feet. even a little to much hair around their feet drives me loopy lol. the hair on the back of the hocks too, I either cut or shave it off or I will go mental everytime I look at them lol.

Ladybugs feet are the only ones that are still all over long,it drives me nuts but I gotta train her to let me touch her feet before I can do anything about it!

I call Raven's feet little slipper toes. She only gets a long pointy group of hairs that stick out between her middle toes.

Jazz gets old lady hairy feet so I trim them sometimes.

Mick and Dew don't have hairy feet issues.

If we lived in a colder area where ice or snow could be a problem I'd probably keep all their toe hair trimmed a bit better.

So I voted little A and little B

JJ has mop feet so we trim the fur around his paws and between his toes and pads. Jake only needs the fur trimmed around his pads.

With the shorter fur, they don't get as much red mud stuck to them. Both are also scared of slick floors and it helps when they don't have anything between their pads and the floor. We try to keep them all trimmed up regularly but when JJ gets 'stuck' under the kitchen table it's time for a trim!

messy feet drive me crazy,so I keep all my dogs trimmed short.I clip down the fir on the bottom till its below the pad line, from the front I spread the toes and trim out the hair, tthen I round out the feet. even a little to much hair around their feet drives me loopy lol. the hair on the back of the hocks too, I either cut or shave it off or I will go mental everytime I look at them lol.

Ladybugs feet are the only ones that are still all over long,it drives me nuts but I gotta train her to let me touch her feet before I can do anything about it!

I'm exactly the same way!!

Jetta - horrible drives me crazy to look at (which is how she looks when I get her to babysit)

FuzzyJetta1.jpg

Jetta after I've had her for an hour

TrimJetta2.jpg

I also think Jetta looks way younger when she's all trimmed up. I think she's probably about 12 in that photo...and 14 now.

Hannah (my BC) doesn't have as much hair as Jetta so never would look that bad, but I still always keep the little fuzzies trimmed and on her back feet up until her hocks. I've been doing it so long, I dont even know how long her foot fuzz would get because I never let it grow.

I've never considered trimming his paw hairs - and he's a medium rough coat. I guess from all the running he does, it never gets too long...

Same with Libby's. She usually has a few little tufts now and then that I 'tickle'--which she hates--when I'm trimming the nails.

Generally, I trim in the warm winter and let 'er grow during the winter. It means I check her feet for trapped snow/ice between her toes, but my thinking is that the longer hair protects her paw pads in the cold weather. I like it short during the warm weather because dogs sweat through paw pads, and thus need to be trimmed. Is that incorrect thinking?

I trim only River who isn't all that furry. But just trim to the nail to shape the foot and only do under her paw to the pad line in the winter - because our winter is muddy and wet and it just tracks in so much more and her fur is the least dirt resistant (ie. doesn't just fall off when she runs though the tall wet hay grass in the back). I also trim her butt hair and the hair that grows up her back legs from her paw to her hock so it's slick looking. The less mud she brings in, the less often I have to do floors :rolleyes: