BC Boards

Does this happen to you all the time, too?

So, I'm at the flea market today, and someone says, "What a pretty dog. What kind of dog is he?" And I say, "He's probably a border collie." And the guy immediately says, "No, I don't think so." I think he started to tell me he was a SAINT BERNARD mix! :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure he's not a St. Bernard.

Violets51207A.jpg

Mary

Yup, happens a lot. For various BCs I have owned I have heard...

Husky (Alaskan, SibeX)

Aussie

LabX

Collie

Border Collie X

Bernese Mountain Dog X

HoundX

Springer Spaniel

Sheltie

... and others I have long forgotten.

haha a st. bernard!? yeah...they didn't know what they're talking about.

The strangest I've ever gotten was someone asking me if Masi was a Corgi. I've gotten asked if Rhea was a Bermese puppy. And many people have told me Gunnar is not a BC because he doesn't have long hair. It's always fun having people try and tell you you don't know what breed your dog is...even though we have papers on them.

People go by colour, if they don't really know what to look for in bone structure and frame, and all the other characteristics, etc. I can see how they say St. Bernard because she isn't "black with a white blaze, collar, feet and tail tip", and she has slight colouration of St. Bernard from Beethoven, haha.

Petey is sort of backwards that way, he doesn't really look much like a Border Collie in the way he is built, other than his face. But he is classically marked, so people always assume he's some sort of miniature BC.

I've been told Gypsy was many breeds... including some woman who insisted she was a Jack Russel. :rolleyes:

Now I just tell people straight up she's a BC. I'll never know her exact breed/mix for sure, but they don't need to know that!

I once overheard someone tell a friend he was walking with that my IGs were Great Dane puppies. :rolleyes:

People usually ask what kind of dog he is. When I tell them a Border Collie, they almost always say, "Ohhh..like the one's I see on t.v. playing Frisbee? They're really smart, aren't they?" YES!! THEY CERTAINLY ARE!! LOL! :rolleyes:

Both my BC and my merle sheltie are constantly mistaken for aussies, and I've heard husky mix too, I guess because of the bi eyes. Normally it doesn't bother me, I enjoy the chance to talk about my dogs, but I had a lady at petsmart recently who argued with me about it and insisted that my BC was too small to be a BC (he's 20 inches and 38 lbs.), and that he was not only an aussie, but a puppy???

When someone asks and I tell them its a Border Collie many people who dont know what they are talking about say, "That doesnt look anything like Lassie" or "Oh, you mean a minature Collie (meaning sheltie)." And I love the, "Are you sure?"

<Sigh :rolleyes: > You just have to be patient with people sometimes I guess.

Bailey is immediately named a "border collie", but is the other one a mix? LOL - Usher is the one with papers. Bailey is a mystery. Only twice has someone came up to me and said "Oh, a tri-colored border collie, how beautiful!" Guess they have to look "show" or they won't pass. Educate, I guess is the rule.

Very cute St. Bernard you have there, Mary!

Since I myself don't know what my dog is, these conversations are always very interesting. Sky has been labeled as many different dogs and other things:

Blue heeler, cattle dog, eskimo/sled dog, fox, australian shepherd, hyena (really!), corgi, shepherd mix, and just the other day, dalmation. Everybody thinks she is a puppy, even though she' ll be two this summer.

I grin a lot. :rolleyes:

Andrea

Pair3.jpg

People who know what Border Collies are never question what Speedy is. I've had a few people who really didn't know what a Border Collie is try to tell me that he couldn't possibly be one. One lady didn't know that a Border Collie wasn't a Lassie Collie, so she didn't believe me! But other than that, he's obvious.

I really can see why people don't know with Dean. I thought he might be a mix myself after we had adopted him. But now that I've been around him for so long, I can tell he's definitely a Border Collie.

Looks-wise they are very dissimilar - Dean's coat type really makes him look different. But when you watch their mannerisms, they are so much alike! You can kind of see that in the picture above.

I once overheard someone tell a friend he was walking with that my IGs were Great Dane puppies. :rolleyes:

Great Dane puppies! How funny! My Terv was called a collie or collie/Shepherd mix all the time....A co-worker of mine insisted that I had a "Lassie" dog no matter how many times I told her it wasn't a collie....Oh well.....

Janet

I guess it goes both ways. People ALWAYS ask if Ben is a border collie (he's got those Irish markings and that about it) while everyone assumes Nellie must be part shepherd (she's tri). Nobody ever knows what Pip is (1/2 BC, 1/2 ACD).

Meanwhile, I took a dog to the shelter the other day (after finding it running loose in the middle of a busy highway). They labeled it as a BC mix but she was built like a dachshund (sp?). The only thing remotely BC about her was the fact that she had a little white on her feet.

Oh well....

I have very few people ever call Black Jack a border collie. They always say he's either a shepard or Aussie mix. I even saw a guy walking a tri BC at the park so I went over and said hi. He said "hi, I like your shepard" I looked at him like, what? Then he said "sorry, my BC doesn't like shepards much" and walked away :rolleyes: Oh well. We know what they are :D

yea, I hear you AJ- I have the fat perfect ACK dog - and the "mix" with wonderful papers that herds like a pro and "HE"S the one in question" just because he's a tri-colored.

" Does this happen to you all the time, too? "

Aaaaaall the time. Granted, my pup is a bit of a mystery mix, but people are very emphatic about telling me she's an Akita/Ridgeback/Great Dane/African Wild Dog/Dingo. I just smile and say "huh, that's a new one".

Love that pic of Buddy!

A St. Bernard? Well, he's the cutest one I've ever seen.

Lots of people around here don't know about smooth border collies. I had a woman in the store tell me "He's a border collie? I didn't know they made them with short hair". With Alex's light tri markings, I hear husky for him. And then sometimes I'll be surprised when someone says "Border collie?" right away.

Jack is obviously a mix, and yet I've had a woman come up and ask me if he was a "shaved border collie". :rolleyes: Some people see the bc in him, but plenty don't (Unless you see him on sheep). I've heard Great Dane quite a few times for him.

Nick is tall (22"), lanky, narrow in the body (aerodynamic, he's aerodynamic!), with a long fluffy tail but he's also a pretty classically marked black tri. I was asked if he's a Russian wolfhound. We've always said he looks like Wiley Coyote.

Then Kelpie who is small, black tri, almost no white and none on her narrow little face was immediately identified by someone else as a BC, that really surprised me since she has less of the 'classic' look.

When we had three black and whites we were always asked if the old one was the mother, when we said no to that then we were asked if they were related. No to that too usually stumped the questioner. But the old folks down here in SW Florida almost always know them calling them farm collies because when they grew up in the upper mid-west there was always one on the farm. I always liked talking to those people but there's fewer and fewer of them as time goes by.

Suzanne

I'm not sure why, but I rarely get those type of commennts about Kipp. Most of the time people will ask if he's a BC, and once and a while a cattle dog, but I rarely hear another breed. That's pretty good considering that he is a 30# smooth coat prick ear tri!