BC Boards

High gas prices? Worth the read

appyridr

Of

all the ideas that have surfaced that can have

the potential to work and at the same time make a few large oil companies

squirm this could be it. Now if everyone just did what is written. In my area

Chevron would be my target rather than Shell......just more of the bastards.

Worth the read

LET'S JUST DO

IT ok ! ! !

THIS IS NOT THE

'DON'T BUY' GAS FOR ONE DAY, BUT IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW WE CAN GET GAS BACK

DOWN TO $.90 PER Litre....hopefully

This was sent

by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies

who retired from Hallibur ton. If you are tired of the gas prices going up

AND they will continue to rise this summer, take time to read this PLEASE.

Phillip

Hollsworth offered this good idea.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the

'don't buy gas on a certain day' campaign that was going around last April or

May!

It's worth your consideration. Join the

resistance!!!!

I hear we are

going to hit close to $ 2.00 a litre by next summer and it might go higher!! Want

gasoline prices to come down?

We need to

take some intelligent, united action. The oil companies just laughed at that

because they knew we wouldn't continue to 'hurt' ourselves by refusing to buy

gas.

It was more

of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has

come up with a plan that can Really work. Please read on and join with us!

By now you're

probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.00 is super cheap. Me too! It

is currently $1.17 for regular unleaded in my town.

Now that the

oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost

of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.14, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the

marketplace...not sellers.

With the

price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action.

The only way

we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the

pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting

ourselves.

How? Since we

all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas.

But we CAN

have an impact on gas prices if we all a ct together to force a price war.

Here's the

idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two

biggest companies,

ESSO and Shell.

If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to

reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will

have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions

of Esso and Shell gas buyers.

It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep

reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us s end it

to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) .. and those 300 send it to at least ten

more (300 x 10 =

3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches

the sixth group of people, we will have reached

over THREE MILLION consumers.

If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten

friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE

HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's

all!

(If you d on't understand how we can reach 300 million and

all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you

just aren't a mathematician. But I am . so trust me on this one.

How

long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more

people within one day of receipt, all in. I suggest

that we not buy from Esso and Shell UNTIL 300 MILLION people could conceivably be

contacted within the next 8 days!!!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much

potential, did you!

Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this

message o THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO BELOW THE $1.00 RANGE AND KEEP THEM

DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

Thats been going around in the UK for a while now as we have stupidly high prices because the government takes about 50% more in tax

The only thing that did work was about 7 years back the truckers went on strike and blocked all the refinerys so the petrol couldnt get to the pumps

they also did big 'go slow' convoys on the major roads and the country did grind to a halt

and the government did reduce the tax a wee bit

unfort they have sneaked it up again - but I dont think we are going to get another protest like that again

Not sure what country this is from -- my guess would be Canada based on the fact that gasoline is priced in dollars per liter, and that Exxon-Mobil trades under the Esso brand. But 90 cents a liter equals $3.40/gallon. No need to convert currency, since our dollar is so far in the toilet thanks to the profligate spending of the current administration that the Canadian dollar is worth about 99.8 US cents today. Close enough for jazz.

The fact that someone wants to get gas prices back down to $3.40 per gallon should tell us something about our situation. Gas is nearly that expensive right now in the Northeastern US, but not quite. Although it's hard to do when it takes $70 to fill up my small pickup truck, I think we should be wondering why our gas is so cheap in the US.

On average, in 2000, the percentage of each component of the retail price of a gallon of regular grade gasoline was:

• Crude oil: 46 percent

• Refining costs and profits: 14 percent

• Retail distribution, marketing, and station operations: 12 percent

• Taxes (not including county and local taxes): 28 percent

HOW GASOLINE PRICES ARE SET

Since crude oil prices, which are set on the Mercantile Exchange, and taxes make up 74% of the price of gasoline; there isn't a lot of adjustment the oil compaines can make on the price of gasoline.

Here's something for you to consider; when the value of the dollar starts to fall (or the stocks dip in price) investment shifts towards commodities like gold, silver, and oil pushing the price of these up. So our country's housing/credit gluttony and the country's rising debt (causing the value of the dollar to decline) has contributed to the price we are now paying for gasoline.

Mark

Well folks, you can talk about the value of the dollar, gas taxes, the unsettled Middle East, or whatever, but ultimately, you can thank environmental activism for much of the rise in price. The only real fault of the government is its acquiescence to their demands. The Bakken Oil Formation that covers North Dakota and portions of South Dakota and Montana has reserves estimated at between 175 billion and 500 billion barrels of recoverable oil. Wyoming also has significant reserves (not the same formation as the Bakken Formation), but the governor has endorsed Obama in part because he has received assurance that Obama will resist any attempt to recover that oil. The Arctic National Wildlife Refuge contains significant oil reserves, but environmental activists prevent its exploitation. Florida will not permit offshore drilling due to environmental activism, yet China and others are currently exploiting Gulf oil reserves. How environmentally "sensitive" do you suppose the Chinese drillers in our backyard are? States on the west coast will not permit offshore drilling due to environmental activism. Environmental activists fight attempts at constructing new refineries. Environmental activism drives the ethanol debacle, which is at least complicit in and at most responsible for the high and rising cost of corn-based products and food, even though production of ethanol costs more energy that it produces.

Just for perspective, if only the Bakken Formation was used for our oil needs, and it proves to be at the high end of the estimates, it alone would provide ALL US oil needs, at 2007 levels, for approximately 98 years. That excludes oil available from all other oil producing nations and other reserves in this country.

In 100 years, how far do you think efficient oil use and extraction technology will advance based on how far we've come in the previous 100 years? Crushing the world economy under the load of unreasonable oil prices due to speculation because of environmental over-kill isn't the way to go.

The oil companies are not the culprit.

Gary

According to a U.S. Geological Survey assessment, there's only 3 to 4.3 billion barrels of technically recoverable reserves in the Bakken Formation. At a consumption rate of 20 million barrels a day, that's less than a year of U.S. oil needs. The survey was released in April 2008, so it's yet to be seen whether there will be significant opposition to drilling, environmental or otherwise.

The presidential ban on offshore drilling which expires in 2012 resulted from opposition by an amalgam of groups including certain businesses, particularly the Florida tourism industry, politicians of both parties and environmentalists.

Well said Gary; we agree with you. We all need gas but it hurts the working class the most. Both my DH and I are retired and live in the boonies. We bought a diesel VW to get more mpg which we do. BUT, diesel is almost $1.00 a gallon more than regular and costs less to produce. How do you explain that? GREED!

just my opinion

Diesel went up to 4.09 a gallon here in NC yesterday. 40.00 dollars worth only gave me quarter of a tank. Some things gotta give.

Diesel is $4.09 here in AZ. We bought our VW diesel to help with the mileage but diesel is so much more expensive that it just isn't fair. Makes us want to get rid of the fuel efficiency vehicle and get one that uses regular (cheaper here $3.29/gal). We do heat with wood here so at least that isn't a issue. N

Opps, spoke to soon. Back up today, 4.19 a gallon. A few weeks ago it went up .08 to .20 cents a day. Leveled off at 3.99 for a couple of weeks and now rising again. I never thought Id see the day.

I am very worried about the price of gas- we are not far from $4.00/gallon. Will it stop going up? I have given some consideration to a motorcycle (harley) with a trailer to pull my dogs....

I certainly cannot absorb any higher prices- I will be home bound more than ever if prices continue on their trend.

Today, I paid $1.27 per litre. I drive 150 km round trip to work. I own a 4 cylinder car...it used to cost me around $30.00 now it's closer to $50.00 for a fill up. I recently picked up a passenger - she was paying almost $200.00 per fill up for her pickup truck. We're expected to reach $1.40 per litre this summer. Since I can't stop working, I guess I'll find other ways to save $$ - maybe my boss will be more open to me working at home one day a week.

We don't need more Oil.

What we need is more refinery capacity to produce fuel to meet the demand. Thats why prices are so high.

I live on an island and my only option for fuel is PetroCanada. They are the only supplier so as much as I'd like to scoff and drive on by the gas station in protest, I just can't.

The increasingly horrid gas consumption of my ancient minivan (285,000kms) forced me to recently buy a new car (ford focus). I don't like having a car payment but hopefully the savings on gas will help mitigate the monthly payment.

Join the club. I've got a few things going over the next several weeks and it's stretching me to the limit. After that, I guess I'll just be staying home.

You and me both. :rolleyes: *sighs* No way can I afford to drive two hours each way to work sheep on the weekends. And I figure going to the NC BC picnic would cost me about $200.00 just in gas. So I don't guess Scot and the girls and I will be able to put in an appearance at Becca's this year.

Oh, well, I can be grateful that I'm not having to go without food or medicine to buy gas like some.