BC Boards

All BCs are fear aggressive?

I took my granddaughters to the Art Museum today. And they took me out to see the big stuff outside on the trail.

We met a woman with two leashed dogs: a beagle type and a border collie type. I asked if they were friendly. She said the beagle was, and let him schmooze with the girls. But she kept the other by her side and said, "He's fear aggressive; all border collies are." :rolleyes:

I expressed my surprise and disbelief. After all, my BC-mix is certainly not, And I've been to three NC-BC picnics and been surrounded by about 30 border collies who weren't.

She, basically, told me I'm wrong and rather stupid. Three trainers, several vets, and the people at the SPCA where she volunteers have all told her that border collies are, by nature, fear aggressive.

I shrugged and recommended that she come here to see if anyone could offer her any suggestions. She allowed as how the dog is 10, too old to change, and she knows that, as this is his breed's nature, there's nothing that will help anyhow.

Opinions?

I could see unknowledgable(sp?- long day) people getting confused when a dog is reactive to motion and possibly thinking it was aggression, but vets? Ehh, anyone who generalizes usually doesn't know much about what they are talking about in the first place. LOL especially when they infer that you are an idot, that just proves they do not know anymore and wish to leave the conversation while they think they still have some pride left.

I expressed my surprise and disbelief. After all, my BC-mix is certainly not, And I've been to three NC-BC picnics and been surrounded by about 30 border collies who weren't.

:rolleyes: Yeah, I can't imagine anyone describing that gang as "fear aggressive."

She, basically, told me I'm wrong and rather stupid. Three trainers, several vets, and the people at the SPCA where she volunteers have all told her that border collies are, by nature, fear aggressive.

Opinions?

One of my BC's recently passed his Delta Society Pet Partner evaluation with very nice comments about his temperment.....Guess the evaluators could have been wrong....

Janet

Yeah mine are aggressive too. With their tongues and hugs :rolleyes: No one gets past my front door without being properly "attacked" and initiated to the rules of our house (visitors are allowed but must love on the dogs :D )

Now I know what Whim is doing he's defending himself with his tounge while attempting -rather successfully - to drown me in kisses! The woman trancends the word IDIOT and goes right on to MORON...

I don't think she's an idiot - rather misinformed or possibly uneducated, and most likely at this point she's held to that credo for so long she's unlikely to be looking to change her mind. My guess would be that after hearing that confirmed it never occurred to her to look any deeper - and it's easier to just make that one's mantra, rather than actually DO something about it, right?

I'm surprised that people in authority type positions are perpetuating this though. The problem, as I see it, is this type of labeling has offered her (and people LIKE her) the opportunity to NOT do anything about it. Poor dog. Hopefully she'll take the opportunity to try to learn more about border collies, because certainly all border collies are not fear aggressive. The majority of the ones I've met, in fact, have been quite pleasant.

You're a nicer person than me, Laura. (but we already knew that :rolleyes:) I have no patience for people who can't be bothered to learn more about the breed they've actually owned for 10 years. It's bad enough that people who never owned a particular breed perpetuate sterotypes and misconception (for example, pit bulls), but to spread misconceptions about a breed of dog they OWN without ever bothering to find out otherwise, I think, is idiotic.

But then again, if she *truly* was told this by three trainers and several vets, I guess she figured she had heard it on good authority. So, maybe I'm being harsh, maybe not. *shrug*

The lack of critical thinking skills exhibited by some people never ceases to truly amaze me.

Do you think she really was told this by several vets, trainers, etc.? Perhaps they used big words that she didn't understand and so she clings to this belief instead, because it certainly is easier to give up on a dog than put any work into him or her.

Sorry, I don't seem to have a lot of patience today...

I think that there are a lot of trainers, and some uninformed vets, who will tell you that all bc's are crazy, which also bugs me. If you're a trainer or a vet, you should know better than to generalize about a breed. Most of the agility instructors around here are, strangely, are not bc people. Every single one of them has said something like this to me at one time or another. I also had one tell me that all ACD's are stupid, that's why they herd cattle. I guess she'd never seen Skidboot and I guess she doesn't think you need brains to be a good cattle dog.

But, I digress. This woman was probably told something like, "border collies can tend to be fearful and that can lead to fear aggression" (which I also think is overgeneralizing about a breed, BTW) and she oversimplified that to say that ALL bc's are fear aggressive. I mean, why would anyone ever get a breed of dog that they KNOW will be fear aggressive because it is an innate trait of the breed?

Thanks y'all (see, I've become Southern).

This idiot also has an Aussie. Which is bad but not to the degree of the BC-mix. AARGH!!!

This afternoon, at another museum, after a morning hike (gotta love school vacations), I told the grandgirls what I've gotten here. Even the about-to-be-6 one just smiled and said, "Of course."

BTW, my dangerous BC-mix was wedged, in her harness-seatbelt, between the older girl in her seatbelt and the younger one in her booster seat to and from our hike. She was in hog heaven - getting so much attention from both sides.

I agree with Mary. Perhaps the "experts" she consulted made generalizations about the breed, and she took it and ran with it.

i.e.- Border collies can be sensitive, startle at loud noises, react to movement, etc = All border collies are fear aggressive.

Many of the vets, trainers, and techs I work with make breed generalizations frequently. German Shepherds can be reactive with restraint, bully breeds and terriers may not like other dogs, Chihuahuas hate everyone but their owners... :rolleyes: The list goes on.

Maybe we really should be more careful with the things we say about breeds and genetic propensities. Some people interpret them incorrectly and share their gospel.

That being said, I do think socialization is more important in the Border Collie than other breeds that are sometimes "easier keepers" and owners get away with giving their dogs a sheltered life.

Shiner's about the least aggressive dog I've ever known, that's a really weird thing for her to have said. I get my fair share of people who, out of nowhere, feel like informing me of things too though. Most recently, a stranger on the street stopped me and randomly said to me, "You need to give that dog a job to do", followed by, "That color is called merle". K - thanks.

Well - personally let the woman believe what she wants - she will most likely never buy another bc and won't recommend to her friends about owning one. She will be the type that may actually tell people that a bc is not for them unless they want - obsessive, fear aggressive, etc...

Her lack of knowledge could be a good thing but I hate when people use that as an excuse not to work with their dog