BC Boards

The Summer Shave

Do any of you shave/ have shaved your BCs for the summer? I'm thinking about it with my medium-coat girl, specifically having a groomer trim/shave her coat to about 3/4 of an inch. I think she'd be a lot more comfortable (though not nearly so cute (!). (And I have to say I wouldn't mind a few months of a little less hair in the house.)

The other option is to have her underside shaved.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that BC's coats were designed to keep them warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I think there are a few on here that do shave for the summer, but I don't think most do. I don't shave Tiga at all. On the days that it gets too hot I just don't keep him outside for too long at a time.

Even if you shave her, she's still going to shed, she'll just shed shorter hair. Unless, she was matted, I wouldnt reccomend it, just have your groomer do a good brush and bath, and blow all the dead under coat out, and at home you can brush her a couple of times a week to keep it under control. One word of advise. Be careful how you use the word "shave " to a groomer. Our idea of "shave", I have found over the years is vastly different than that of the owners. Be very specific as to exactly how short or long you want to have her left, so theres no surprises/shock when you pick her up. Make sure your groomer is one you know and trust, ( or has been reccomended by someone you trust) as some will just do what they want, and not what you ask. And please, always tip your groomer. :rolleyes:

I second that! 3/4 of an inch is a haircut, not a shave.

I trim Niki to about an inch from the shoulders back in summer. She seems to like it (though she hates having it done), and it makes it a lot easier to give her a good combing for foxtails and such.

I seem to be in the minority, from reading other threads. My Samantha has always suffered in the heat, and no, we don't have air conditioning. Two summers ago I had her clipped to about 3/4 of an inch all over and she was so much more comfortable - she slept better, would cool off after exercise in about the same time as the other two, and everyone who saw her said she acted perkier.

Last year we had an incredibly bad spring/summer with ticks. The short coat made it much easier to find the little nasty things. Shoshone got a clip as well, and since she has to have a bath every couple weeks, that was really nice.

Both dogs' coats grew back in just fine. As the others have mentioned, do NOT shave down to the skin, dogs will sunburn very easily.

Good luck!

Ruth n the BC3

3/4 of an inch, will still look really short, because the hair will lay flat, not up and fluffy. If you take her, ask them to use a #1 comb or duck blade on her, that will look nice and leave her about an inch or just a bit longer and will keep her comfy. Id never clipped any of my collies until recently. I used the 3/4 inch blade on her and didnt like it. To me it looked "shaved". After about a month it has grown out and looks pretty cute. Had I done that #1 to start with, Id have liked the look much better right off. Now she's just fluffy all over with no feathers or big ruff, and I trimed the tail to match.

A lot depends on what kind of coat a dog has....

I used to have a female that had so dense an undercoat she could spend 10 mins under the hose and never get

wet to her skin! She also had some heart issues... so she did get shaved down every summer for the last 3 yrs of

her life and was considerably more comfortable.

My wooly dog now simply gets a clean up trim.

A lot depends on what kind of coat a dog has....

I used to have a female that had so dense an undercoat she could spend 10 mins under the hose and never get

wet to her skin! She also had some heart issues... so she did get shaved down every summer for the last 3 yrs of

her life and was considerably more comfortable.

My wooly dog now simply gets a clean up trim.

Yes, agreed. I had one BC with tons and tons of undercoat. No amount of brushing could keep that undercoat down. I had her shaved during the summer, about every other summer- she was a house dog and I didn't start doing this until her "golden years". Be careful of groomers. They tend to cut too short.

Be careful of groomers. They tend to cut too short.

Thats just not fair, and really hurts my feelings. How about instead of marking groomers as the ones that tend to cut to short, look at it just as I saw it in the begining of this thread, and warned the OP to be careful what he asks for. IE "shave" and make sure he is taking his dog to a competent groomer. In my opinion, half the groomers that hang their shingle out there nowadays dont know what their doing, and have zero communication skills as well as they dont take the time to really find out what it is that their client wants. If a groomer isnt willing to spend 10 mineuts to find out exactly what you expect, walk away with your dog and find some one who cares. Statements like that, give those of us that have put a lifetime into the bussiness a bad name and gives the impression that groomers in gereral are not to be trusted. Its like saying all BC's are biters because you got bit by one.

Darci Gunter NCMG#Ut16. Nationally Certified Master Groomer. Certified by the National Dog Groomers Assoc. of America.

When I re-certified back in 2002, after I lost my 1986 certification due to unpaid dues, I was given a new number, as I first certified in Arizona. That UT16 stands for the fact that I am one of only 16 Master Groomers in the whole state of Utah. Maybe hard to find one, but well worth looking for.

Sorry Bo Peep not targeting you personally. Just thought a little education needed to be interjected after a remark such as that.

Be careful of groomers. They tend to cut too short.

Thats just not fair, and really hurts my feelings. How about instead of marking groomers as the ones that tend to cut to short, look at it just as I saw it in the begining of this thread, and warned the OP to be careful what he asks for. IE "shave" and make sure he is taking his dog to a competent groomer. In my opinion, half the groomers that hang their shingle out there nowadays dont know what their doing, and have zero communication skills as well as they dont take the time to really find out what it is that their client wants. If a groomer isnt willing to spend 10 mineuts to find out exactly what you expect, walk away with your dog and find some one who cares. Statements like that, give those of us that have put a lifetime into the bussiness a bad name and gives the impression that groomers in gereral are not to be trusted. Its like saying all BC's are biters because you got bit by one.

Darci Gunter NCMG#Ut16. Nationally Certified Master Groomer. Certified by the National Dog Groomers Assoc. of America.

When I re-certified back in 2002, after I lost my 1986 certification due to unpaid dues, I was given a new number, as I first certified in Arizona. That UT16 stands for the fact that I am one of only 16 Master Groomers in the whole state of Utah. Maybe hard to find one, but well worth looking for.

Sorry Bo Peep not targeting you personally. Just thought a little education needed to be interjected after a remark such as that.

I had no offence towards you. It's kind of like when I get my bangs cut. Sometimes I look pretty neat, other times I look like a 5th grader. I saw a BC perfectly groomed. I'm not sure I would want my dog to be groomed that way. This was a "show dog" feet were trimmed". He looked perfect, that's not what I want. I had a couple bad experiences and in no way did I mean them towards you. My old dog got "shaved" down to the bone, and yes, her bone showed- that just means bad trimmer, not you.

I'm sorry 1sheeepdoggal- Most people in my area are NOT experienced.

At Petsmart they let you stay with your dog through the bathing/grooming process for an extra 10 bucks. That means your groomer works only with you and your dog from beginning to end, no putting the dog in a cage with a blower, etc. They call it Express Service, I believe.

I usually prefer to use local businesses, but love this service at PetsMart. I think my dogs do better when I'm there, especially Shoshone.

Ruth n the BC3

I had a VERY bad experience in February with a groomer with Cody. I asked for a "slight trim" around his butt, and we both agreed in the five minute discussion to keep his hair long as he was outdoors a lot in the cold weather. We agreed he needed to be "neatened up" so he wasn't so "straggly".

When I went to pick up my long-haired, rough-coated BC three hours later he looked completely different. Shaved to 1/4" EVERYWHERE on his body. They said he looked "choppy" when they started cutting so they used the razor.

Of course they didn't call me on my cell phone to ask my permission. I was furious. They didn't even apologize or anything. They also had me pay BEFORE they brought the dog out. I am currently disputing the charge card charge as they did NOT provide the services we agreed on.

A month and a half later, he still looks like a short-haired, smooth-coated BC. As much as I like that look on other BCs, I don't like it one bit on Cody. It will take many more months for him to get that beautiful mane, feathers and glossy wavy coat back.

This was a groomer that has an excellent reputation in our area.

Do any of you shave/ have shaved your BCs for the summer? I'm thinking about it with my medium-coat girl, specifically having a groomer trim/shave her coat to about 3/4 of an inch. I think she'd be a lot more comfortable (though not nearly so cute (!). (And I have to say I wouldn't mind a few months of a little less hair in the house.)

The other option is to have her underside shaved.

I don't shave my BC's so I don't have personal experience, but I've been told that the texture of their coat changes after you shave them. Does anyone know if this is true?

Janet

Yes, lots of people of a german board had to made the experience that the coat texture went bad after shaving. I don't shave and I won't ever. Some people shave (really shave - naked) their dog's tummy as an alternate. Dogs adjust their body warmth by their tounge and their paws (they actually have sweat glands on their pads!), so during the sommer it's important they have enough water to drink and maybe a little pool where they can cool off their paws.

Don't you live in North Carolina? Is there reciprocity between states, or do you have to reapply for MG status in NC?

I don't shave my BC's so I don't have personal experience, but I've been told that the texture of their coat changes after you shave them. Does anyone know if this is true?

Janet

I never had the texture of my dog's coat change. In winter she'd grow out the same coat she always had... that doesn't

mean it may not happen with other dogs though. :rolleyes:

Is there reciprocity between states, or do you have to reapply for MG status in NC

No, as long as you pay your dues to the Association, ( and dont allow them to lapse more than 3 yrs as I did) you keep your number and status. I was really glad though that I had to re-cert, as the tests had changed 8 times since I had taken them in 86. So much had changed, it was hard for this old dog to learn their new tricks. Certing takes considerable time, travle, money and knowledge. There are 3 other certs that you have to cert for before you can cert for MG. They have it set up to where you cant just go for the MG status, ya gotta jump through their hoops to get there.