BC Boards

Eye colour in red dogs?

When I first saw Chris at 5 weeks, she had puppy blue eyes. When I took her home at 9 weeks, I was surprised to see her eyes had changed to green, and stayed that way for several months, then they changed to grey for a bit. Now at 3 yrs old her eyes are a nice dark brown.

post-7917-1201899022_thumb.jpg

post-7917-1201899294_thumb.jpg

Surely you're not using such a rude term as "mutt" to describe His Royal Wootiness? God had planned to develop a whole line of orange dogs but when he saw that he had already attained perfection, he broke the mold, hence your one-of-a-kind superstar! :rolleyes:

Well here's one of his less successful attempts at the perfect orange dog:

allie080116_dinner022.jpg

like Skittles and half of Woo, she has brown eyes. I wonder, is that a genetic yellow thing? From most of the pics I've seen here, it seems that if a dog is going to have blue eyes, it's fairly obvious even as a pup. c.f., the electric ruffmutt Stella.

I do not laugh out loud nor do I make the person feel bad about their question. I "kindly" say no she is not blind, blue eyes do not mean the doig is blind it's only a different color.

I would never think of being rude to someone who asked about one of my dogs. Most of people who ask the question are dog owners and it gets old. My dog can't be the first one they have seen with a blue eye.

I would never think of being rude to someone who asked about one of my dogs. Most of people who ask the question are dog owners and it gets old. My dog can't be the first one they have seen with a blue eye.

Well exactly. But don't *think* unkind thoughts either please!! Like any one of us who gets frustrated with being asked the same question over and over (is there a head banging emoticon for IRL anywhere??) I too am amused with the frequency of which I am asked if my dog is blind, or a husky. It is kind of a dumb question, since I have blue eyed HUMAN friends and no one ever asks them if they can see etc.

No one ever asks me why Woo is orange though ... but they sometimes say "is that a ... errr ... what is that?" His Flamboyanceness is a mystery to everyone, including me, his lowly servant. He is most definitely not a husky though!!

RDM

I call my red dog's eyes orange. They aren't quite as amber-y as most of the red dogs I've seen in photos... more... orange... :rolleyes:

They don't show up very well in photos. Sadly, I didn't have C when he was a puppy, so I can't compare. :D

Nobody has asked me yet if Dean is blind in his blue eye. I've been asked if he's a mix. I've even been asked if I'm "sure" he's a Border Collie.

Now if someone ever does ask me if he's blind, I won't be surprised by the question. :rolleyes:

But don't *think* unkind thoughts either please!!

Sorry, I am a hypocrite and do think unkind thoughts often, even though I wish I didn't and try to not do so.

I guess I was just thinking that someone who didn't know any better was being compassionate and being thought of as dumb and laughable, and it rubbed me the wrong way. And, yes, I too have been frustrated by being asked or told something over and over.

My sincere apologies for butting in where I shouldn't have. I should have kept my keyboard quiet.

Solo's eyes are antique gold, with traces of bronze around the pupil and edges of the iris. They are slightly lighter than they look in this photo.

434602853_5da972e1b7.jpg

He was 16 months old when I adopted him so I have no idea what his eyes looked like as a pup, but as a rule it seems that red dogs have green eyes as pups unless their eyes will turn blue.

I have no idea if Z has any BC in her lineage, but she's a light orange dog and i do have puppy pics from her shelter days. Her puppy pic looks like they were a greenish tint, and now at almost a year they are a reddish brown. :rolleyes:

Puppy, about 2-3mo:

sasha.jpg

In December at 9.5mo:

IMG_4212.jpg

I don't have red dog eyes to speak about but Navi does have the "merle" eyes like Shiner. I also get asked if he can see out of his eye or what happened to his eye or if he's partially blind because of his eye. That last one I get a good chuckle because the image that comes into mind is that just because his eye is half blue then he must only have vision in half of his eye. :rolleyes: The other colors are dark brown and amber mixed in w/ his blue.

e158ecd3.jpg