BC Boards

Eye colour in red dogs?

My pup Flurry is the first red bc I've had, so I'm not familiar with the typical eye colour. Instead of the usual blue/grey puppy eye colour his eyes are green. Are they likely to stay that colour or change, and what is the most typical eye colour of an adult red dog? This is a picture of Flurry taken this past weekend photos28.jpg You should be able to zoom in on it and see his eyes clearly. He was being a "backpack puppy" for a lot of the weekend. We were at a dogsled race and didn't want to leave him home crated for too many hours, so a friend who came along with us brought him a little Roots jacket to wear and carried him around in a pack most of the time. With 4 more races to attend this season by the time he's grown up and it's his turn to join the team he should be well used to the sights and sounds of the races. :rolleyes:

Dixie is a white and red....two really really blue eyes...everyone asks if she has husky in her:

waiting.jpg

cynthia Palmer

with one red dog

one white

two tris

3 b/w's...and we love them all

Wow, yes very blue. She doesn't remind me of a husky though. I noticed one of the pups in Flurry's litter had one very blue eye, probably going to stay blue. I didn't notice any others like that, but I can't say I looked that deeply into every pup's eyes. When my Storm (black & white) was tiny his eyes were a dark blue, deeper than the usual puppy colour but not that really bright colour either so I didn't really know what they were going to do. He's got light eyes, I guess you could call them amber or something. At times they almost look yellow and remind me of wolf eyes.

Unless they are going to be blue, in my experience red dogs always have green or green-yellow eyes as pups that fade to amber as they mature. Briggs stayed green until he was about 8 months old. Tweed's turned amber when he was quite a bit younger.

The blue eye "is that dog part husky" question is never dependent on the dog in question actually resembling a husky...it's because everyone associates those bright blue eyes with "husky" dogs. I have even had what I consider(ed) fairly knowledgeable dog people ask me if Wootie was "part husky" because of his one blue eye.

RDM

Anyone had someone ask if your dog was blind (because of blue eyes)? :rolleyes:

Yep. I had someone ask if my sheltie could see out of his blue eye. I've gotten the husky mix thing too. Shiner has merle eyes, if that's what you call them...both blue and brown in each eye, like a marble, but one is mostly brown and the other has more blue.

happyboomer.jpg

Anyone had someone ask if your dog was blind (because of blue eyes)? :D

It's usually the first question they ask :rolleyes: The second question is whether or not she's a husky mix :D Does that mean people assume huskys should be blind, too?

Most of the red dogs I've seen have yellow eyes (amber) or a greenish yellow. Always very pretty IMO :D

Most people do assume that a dog with one blue eye is blind in that eye, why is that? On the other hand why don't they think a dog with two blue eyes isn't blind?

We get the OHHHHH, I'm so sorry your dog is blind thing all the time. I laugh inside all the time thinking how dumb they are.

We get the OHHHHH, I'm so sorry your dog is blind thing all the time. I laugh inside all the time thinking how dumb they are.

Is it a reason to laugh at someone (inside or out) or consider them "dumb" because they don't know any better and feel compassion for your dog? Maybe inexperienced and kind is more like it. Perhaps you could nicely let them know that, while less common than brown eyes in Border Collies, blue eyes are not symptomatic of eye problems (or being "part Husky"), thank them for their concern, and let it be a good socializing opportunity for your dog.

That would be a lot more constructive use of the occasion.

Skittles has dark amber eyes, but he is a mix. Also, he's not really a red dog, he's more of an orange dog.

OrangeSkittles.jpg

I almost had a foster dog a couple weeks ago that was a red merle bc with one blue and one green eye. The dog was an adult.

Unless they are going to be blue, in my experience red dogs always have green or green-yellow eyes as pups that fade to amber as they mature.

Agreed! Roz's eyes were a gorgeous blue/green as a pup and now light amber with a very faint touch of green around the pupil - - I can't tell you exactly when that happened as it was very gradual - - most likely your pup's will do the same.......

Flurry is a very handsome boy and looks like he had the best seat in the house for the races!!! :rolleyes:

Roz @ 6 weeks

closefaceb.jpg

@ 9 weeks:

headshotoffbed6-16-06.jpg

@ 10 months:

withballfeb07.jpg

Is it a reason to laugh at someone (inside or out) or consider them "dumb" because they don't know any better and feel compassion for your dog? Maybe inexperienced and kind is more like it. Perhaps you could nicely let them know that, while less common than brown eyes in Border Collies, blue eyes are not symptomatic of eye problems (or being "part Husky"), thank them for their concern, and let it be a good socializing opportunity for your dog.

That would be a lot more constructive use of the occasion.

Or you can just laugh because you get pretty sick of the same old question over and over again. I don't think people are "dumb" for thinking my 22lb orange mutt is a "husky mix" nor do I sneer at them when they ask me "what's wrong with his (blue) eye" but I do laugh, because it's so predictable. Just as I laughed when the woman put her arm around me and said "Oh honey, you got ripped off ... border collies are black and white." It's funny. No need to be *quite* so puritanical about it, is there?

RDM

So it sounds like there's a good chance they'll turn yellow/light amber. Pretty much like Storm's. I guess maybe Storm gets his eye colour from his mom who's a red. I like the yellow colour, but the green colour Flurry has right now is so pretty, it would be nice if they stayed like that too. Guess it doesn't matter though, they'll be what they'll be.

Maggie - Roz had beautiful puppy eyes! Not that there's anything wrong with her adult colour either.

Paula - I'm quite sure, sorry :rolleyes: He did look a different colour in the other pics because of my digital camera. I can't seem to take inside pictures that turn out well, the lighting/colour is always off even if I try to make adjustments on the camera. This one that I just posted was taken by a friend with a better camera (and who's a better photographer than me!)

No need to be *quite* so puritanical about it, is there?

I wasn't trying to be "puritanical", just trying to suggest a little kindness instead of ridicule. Some people might find that a nice idea.

Surely you're not using such a rude term as "mutt" to describe His Royal Wootiness? God had planned to develop a whole line of orange dogs but when he saw that he had already attained perfection, he broke the mold, hence your one-of-a-kind superstar! :D

Hey, any and all of mine are called mutts, no matter what their breeding, purebred or not, and they're all superstars to me :D My daughter has the many "Kid & Mutt" trophies and medallions from the sled races to prove their superstar status :rolleyes: Nevermind that she won most all with just one dog (Lightning - our BC/lab), she's competed with Lightning and Noah, and this past weekend Thunder also ran and did really well with 2 different kids, and then he and Lightning went on to run well in a 2-mile youth race. Mutts (real or pretend) rule!

Yep. I had someone ask if my sheltie could see out of his blue eye. I've gotten the husky mix thing too. Shiner has merle eyes, if that's what you call them...both blue and brown in each eye, like a marble, but one is mostly brown and the other has more blue.

happyboomer.jpg

I meant to also add before that one time I was looking up some info on eye colour (I think it was to see pictures of blue eyes or something, a long time ago) and I came across pictures of eyes like that. I think there were different names given, including marbled, split, cracked, and parti. Geez, if I could remember where I found that site I'd post it, there were some really different looking eyes on there. It may have been a site about aussies, but I couldn't say for sure now since it was a long time ago.

ETA: I found it! I just googled canine eye colour and found that site again. Here it is:

Aussie Eye Colour

Hey, any and all of mine are called mutts, no matter what their breeding, purebred or not, and they're all superstars to me :D My daughter has the many "Kid & Mutt" trophies and medallions from the sled races to prove their superstar status :rolleyes: Nevermind that she won most all with just one dog (Lightning - our BC/lab), she's competed with Lightning and Noah, and this past weekend Thunder also ran and did really well with 2 different kids, and then he and Lightning went on to run well in a 2-mile youth race. Mutts (real or pretend) rule!

Uh, this was just a little joke to RDM not a comment on dogs of mixed heritage.

Uh, this was just a little joke to RDM not a comment on dogs of mixed heritage.

I know is was a joke, that's why I was joking back. I knew no offence was meant.