BC Boards

What to do when opportunity suddenly knocks?

This evening I got a big surprise when I answered the phone. A friend, who is in border collie rescue, and also occasionally breeds CBCA reg. pups herself (and yes, does herding and trialling and knows her stuff), told me she'd like to give me a pup. She has homes lined up for many of the pups, but it was a litter of 10 and rather than trying to sell them to just anyone, she'd like to give me one because she said she knows the kind of home I'll provide. I'm flattered that she is willing to pass up on a sale and give me one, but I thought I was done with puppy raising for a while (after raising Rain and Storm this past year, Flash and Thunder last year, and Lightning the year before). Eek! There's not much room at the inn, but how can I pass up this opportunity?

Puppies are so hard to raise (but a lot of fun and so worth the time) If you don't think you have room or time than maybe it's not best for the pup right now. I'm sure you'd make a great home, but you have to think what is best for the pup. I still want a pup in the worst way, but I understand that things are to crazy right now to really care for one the best I can. But the time will come :rolleyes:

It's really up to you, and I'm sure the pup will have a great home either way. Heh, I'm a lot of help, arn't I?

I had a similar delima three years ago. I ended up asking a friend, and she said ' You would be stupid to pass up this chance"

My freebee ended up winning a nursery class at her first trial, at less than 2. Moving into open at 2 1/2 and gathering enough points to run in the 2007 finals at 3 1/2. She was in the top 100 pointed dogs her first year (actually only a half of a year of running open trials) for USBCHA.

Ask yourself if you like the breeding, and would be interested in buying a pup if you were in the market for one. If the answer is yes, make the room and take the pup. It might be the best thing you can ever do. I frequently thank my friend for pointing out how stupid I could have been. :rolleyes:

For me time is not the issue (I work seasonally from home so I'm always there for the dogs). Space, I have a fenced backyard, 8 acres of my own, plus the use of the adjacent 4 acres so outdoor space for running and playing is not a problem. It's the indoor space that's getting crowded. Dogs on the couch, dogs on the bed, dog beds all around the bed, a couple of dog crates double-deckered beside the bed, pretty soon dog crates hanging from the ceiling :rolleyes: I love raising puppies, but I thought that with Rain and Storm I was done with pups for a while, that I would now have my 4-dog team for racing (sledding). There would be one definite bonus to getting another pup though, I would have an alternate for my team if someone gets sick/injured, or, I would have the option of entering the 6-dog classes (you're allowed to go in short one dog). And, since we do have 2 sleds, if we just want to go out around the trails, my daughter could take 2 dogs on one sled and I could take 3 on another. Our other 2 dogs don't really sled. One's not interested and the other doesn't keep up well in a team.

I would hate to be in that situation. :D

I wouldn't :D

You have to let us know what you figure out. (and pictures :rolleyes: )

Well I saw them this evening and they're all so cute (of course). Very happy, outgoing puppies. As soon as they were let out of their pen they all came crowding around me begging for attention and licking. They gradually drifted away to explore other things, but a couple of them hung around me. One in particular seemed to want my attention. He's a red & white male, very, very friendly pup and even after they were shut back away he seemed to want to maintain eye contact with me. The others were looking for attention too, but there was something about him. Some of the others have nicer white markings than him, but he seems to have a nice personality. They're not quite ready to go yet, so I think I'll go back and see them again. I ended up rushing out today and forgot to take my camera.

You know, they pick you :rolleyes: If you feel a strong bond with him then you should get him. I have only had a really strong bond with three dogs, and I got to adopt one of them. If you don't, you'll always ask yourself "what if?"

Well I saw them this evening and they're all so cute (of course). Very happy, outgoing puppies. As soon as they were let out of their pen they all came crowding around me begging for attention and licking. They gradually drifted away to explore other things, but a couple of them hung around me. One in particular seemed to want my attention. He's a red & white male, very, very friendly pup and even after they were shut back away he seemed to want to maintain eye contact with me. The others were looking for attention too, but there was something about him. Some of the others have nicer white markings than him, but he seems to have a nice personality. They're not quite ready to go yet, so I think I'll go back and see them again. I ended up rushing out today and forgot to take my camera.
Aaaawwww! He sounds pretty! Yes, don't forget your camera next time, would love to see them.

I agree with the other poster, they pick you. When we went to pick out Misty, the farmer had all the girls in one pen, and boys in the other, which was good, since when we called, we stated we wanted a female, so this way, we didn't find a puppy we loved, and it be a male. Then, we would have had a male dog, instead! lol When my hubby walked into the pen, all the puppies came to him for affection and attention, but Misty was the only pup I noticed that actually wrapped her paws around his ankles. It was the cutest thing! She still does this when she comes up to you, she'll wrap that one paw around your leg, like a hug! Lucky for us, Misty had all the nice markings too, beautiful eyes, even the farmer said we picked the best one from the females. Before we left, we saw her twin brother. He looked pretty much identical to her, same shaped eyes, markings, and he was real playful and forthcoming too.

I know what you mean about room in the house. We live in a small 3br. ranch and boy Misty makes up for one of the older kids who moved out. LOL It was fine while she was small, but now she's getting to be such a big girl, the house is looking smaller, and smaller! LOL I'm kind of curious, how she's gonna look on our boat this summer. Might need a bigger one! LOL

So here's what you do when opportunity knocks :rolleyes: Meet our newest, as-yet unnamed addition

newpup3.jpg

newpup2.jpg

newpup.jpg

Found the big dogs food bowls already

newpup4.jpg

This one's blurry, but otherwise cute

newpup5.jpg

Now I have to name him. I have a kind of a weather thing going on (Lightning, Thunder, Rain, Storm, Flash, and even Noah fits). I've thought of Tornado, Blizzard, Ice, Flurry, and right now I'm leaning towards Flurry. Since we sled with our dogs it would be nice to start moving into more wintery sounding names. I had even thought of "Winter" but my neighbour has a Summer and Spring, so maybe I should leave Winter for her, in case she some day wants to call a dog by that name. If we both ended up with dogs with the same name it could get confusing for them if we're calling them.

I still like Zeus. Didn't he control thunder and lightning? LOL He is gorgeous! Was he the one that was so interrested in you the first time?

Congrats on the new addition! Looks like he is making his self right to home!

I think Zeus did, wasn't he the father of all the other gods? That name might fit better with a greek gods theme, but I'll keep it in mind. I haven't made up my mind for sure. This is the same pup that I liked the first time for his personality. His markings aren't quite as flashy as some of the others (some of them had really full white collars and white all the way up their legs, the white on his neck only goes part way up one side), but I didn't pick him based on his markings. He is going to have lots of cute ticking though I think, he's already got a fair amount. He also already follows me everywhere and when I went downstairs for a minute to feed the cat he was upstairs crying. Then I picked him up and carried him down (steep stairs, he's not ready for them yet), and now he's sleeping beside me while I'm on the computer.

Congrats!!!! I knew you would get him :rolleyes: Puppies are to special. Once you meet one you can't leave without him.

Thanks for the suggestions. The name Sleet had crossed my mind, but I kind of discounted it. For some reason I didn't think it would be very appealing, now of course everyone thinks it's great. Since he came home yesterday we've been calling him Flurry, so I think we're probably going to stick with that. But, hey, keep tossing the names out there if you have any others. Until they commit me you never know how many more "just one mores" I might end up with :rolleyes: and of course they all need names. Maybe I should make up a names book. She was actually willing to give me 2 pups, but this guy's a real live wire and I think I may be glad that I did only get one. The pups were living in the barn so now that he's in the house I think he finds it warm and he's drinking a lot. What goes in must come out....and out, and out, and out. He's like a leaky faucet. Between that and testing his little teeth on every single thing he sets his eyes on, he's keeping me very busy. Right now he's sleeping beside my chair.

Re: his breeding, I don't know much about it. Sorry, I'm not into herding at all, don't know about herding bloodlines or anything. His parents are both working dogs though, in fact while I was there somebody called looking to buy a trained sheepdog because they just had to have theirs put down, and she didn't have any ready for what they needed, so she offered to lend them May (the mom).

ETA: Even though I don't know anything about bloodlines, I do like the breeding because he's a half-brother to Rain and Storm and they're turning out so well. They all have the same mom, May, who was surrendered pregnant to the rescue last year. The plan was supposed to be to spay her and adopt her out, but she's such a nice dog and I'm told from good bloodlines (the farm/rescue has her full brother and already knew her, they did a bit of work with her when she was younger, before she went to her last "home"). When she came into the rescue, instead of re-homing her they decided to keep her and continued her training. I think their daughter was going to trial her, but I'm not sure if she ever did.