BC Boards

Stressed. Moving. Airplane. Odin.

Sorry for the weird title, but I think I'm losing my mind here. More than that, I think I've lost about 5 pounds in the last week.

I had a month long vacation to Newfoundland planned, starting tomorrow.

My husband currently works as a forklift driver, his pay is good, he has excellent benefits and we just moved in to our new apartment, which is wonderful. Or at least it's supposed to be.

Sunday, DH decided that he wants to go back to school. Even though it's brand new news to me, this is someting he's been wanting to do for a very long time. As scared as I am about all this, I'm more than willing to do it. He has not been satisfied with how we've been living, he does not want to be a factory worker all his life and he wants to go to school and I have to support him.

He wants to go to a College in Newfoundland not far from where I grew up, we have friends and lots of family there.

But, right now, even though he has an excellent job, we are about 8000$ in debt and obviously have bills to pay and 3 mouths to feed. We can't just pick up and move to Newfoundland.

Our only solution right now is for him to go live with his parents for a few months so we don't have to worry about rent, etc. Every penny he'll have coming in from work will go to our debt. By January-February we should be debt free, then he wants to move to Newfoundland.

The kicker is that there apparently isn't enough room for *me* at his parents house, so tomorrow when i go on my 'vacation' I'll actually be going for good. I'll never see my apartment again and who knows when I'll see my friends again. Just poof! I lose everything. Plus it'll be about 3-4 months before I see my husband or Odin again. Things sure aren't done this way in Newfoundland.

And as if having to go to Newfoundland for 4 months isn't bad enough, my in laws do not want Odin living with them either. I certainly don't want him treated like he's a burden. He's a joy.

So now, my biggest problem in all this is that I want Odin to come with me to Newfoundland, but I'm afraid of putting him on a plane. :rolleyes:

It just breaks my heart to think of him in a crate in a cargo hold of a plane for several hours. He's not crate trained and I don't have time to do it before I leave. I'm afraid he'll be scared and confused and feel abandoned. I'm afraid he'll come off of the plane traumatized. It literally tears me up inside to picture him crying for his momma and poppa :D

Has anyone flown their dog somewhere before? It's 1500 miles to Newfoundland so it's quite a long flight. Please, tell me it's not so bad. I need a ray of sunshine here :D

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. First of all, maybe I'm not understanding, but where will you be staying in Newfoundland? Are you leaving before your husband does because he has to finish up his job in Canada? I have not flown with my dog, but I'm wondering if you can have Odin sedated--maybe someone on the board has done that to keep their dog calm for extended plane flights? I know nothing about the risks involved with medication, but I think I might explore that in this situation. Charlene

I completely understand you being afraid of taking Odin. But think about whats better for both of you in the long run. I think that putting him on a plane and getting it over with and having him with you is what you'd think best. Better to have him uncomfortable for a few hours than for 4 months without you and at a place where he really isnt welcome.

I hope it gets sorted out, that sounds like a HUGE change and a sudden one as well. I cant handle a night apart from Riven or my husband, I cant imagine 4 months. I'll be praying for you. Let us know your decision.

I agree completly, take him with you. if you need to ask your vet to perscribe something to sedate him, but don't leave him where he's not really wanted.

Let us know the outcome.

Good luck

Charlene, having your pet sedated could cause breathing problems I think. It's considered a very risky thing to do and it's not recommended.

Newfoundland is a Canadian Province and it's where I was born and raised. I will be staying with family there while my husband clears up debt here in Ontario.

Sorry to hear hear about the upheaval in your life. Definitely take Odin. You will need each other through this change. I second the tshirt idea and look into maybe sedating him for the flight. It really doesn't take long to crate train and any training is better than none. Start NOW. Feed Odin and give him his treats in the crate. Let us know how it is going for you.Are you still leaving tomorrow?

Toni

Thanks for the replies.

RaisingRiver, Smileyzookie: Thanks very much for putting it that way for me. I guess I haven't been able to really think clearly lately so I wasn't able to think of it that way. But you're right, it would be better to have about 5 hours of plane time than have him stay where he won't have the attention and care he deserves.

This is all so sudden. =

Toni, yes I'm leaving tomorrow morning . . . I literally have 0 time right now, and 0 crate for that matter! I would prefer to do the training on my own but I guess I'll just have to guide DH and trust that he'll do it right.

I really wish this wasn't happening :rolleyes:

Normally I blow a whole bunch of fuses just thinking of having to fly with Kessie, for all the reasons you mentioned, but I agree with this completely:

Better to have him uncomfortable for a few hours than for 4 months without you and at a place where he really isnt welcome
I'm sorry about your situation :rolleyes: . This is all so sudden! If I was in your shoes I'd be pretty p.o.'d at hubby and his parents right now. Hope it all turns out for the best in the end!

Kee, can you switch your flight to a later date so you can have a bit more time to get Odin ready? It might cost a few dollars but given your state of mind, it might be the best thing to do. Don't you have to give notice at your apartment? And..if your inlaws don't want Odin..where would he go??? Sorry, this is just really crummy and you should have more time to make these kinds of decisions. Why does it have to be done now??

I'm sorry, but decisions made in haste (like this sounds)can be a disaster.

Are you taking a vacation or is there an urgent reason that you have to go to Nfld now?

Can you postphone it til the New year?

What is the economy like in your part of Nfld? If it's anything like Northern O., you might find affordable housing so you can be a family together.

I'm a full time college student and I qualify for all sorts of income support and hefty tax breaks. I'm not on any kind of social assistance, these programs exist for every student, full and part time.

Sometimes you just have to hold your breath and jump, I've been there.

I've flown with my two BC's a few times, and here's what I suggest.

#1, do not sedate Odin. Sedating a dog for a flight shouldn't have to be done except in VERY exceptional circumstances. It can cause way more problems than it can solve. Sedation can screw up thermoregulation (ability to handle temperature regulation), sense of orientation, can cause an animal to defecate/urinate on themselves where they wouldn't normally do so, and can cause paradoxic behavioral reactions in the animal. Most dogs will calm down once they are in their crate and in the cargo hold, and have settled in for the trip, and will even sleep for part/all of the trip. So, I STRONGLY discourage you from sedating your dog at all. Plus, you have zero opportunity to do a trial run with a sedative to see how he reacts to the dose you are going to give .. another reason not to use a sedative. I've never had to sedate any of my dogs to travel with them on an airplane, and one of my dogs has huge anxiety issues.

#2 - go out NOW and buy a sturdy, well built Vari-Kennel with solid sides that is large enough for Odin to stand up fully in. Get it home and feed Odin inside it, and play in it, and make it the FUNNEST thing Odin's seen in his life! Even if you only have tonight to do it, DO IT!!!! It%

I've flown with my two BC's a few times, and here's what I suggest.

#1, do not sedate Odin. Sedating a dog for a flight shouldn't have to be done except in VERY exceptional circumstances. It can cause way more problems than it can solve. Sedation can screw up thermoregulation (ability to handle temperature regulation), sense of orientation, can cause an animal to defecate/urinate on themselves where they wouldn't normally do so, and can cause paradoxic behavioral reactions in the animal. Most dogs will calm down once they are in their crate and in the cargo hold, and have settled in for the trip, and will even sleep for part/all of the trip. So, I STRONGLY discourage you from sedating your dog at all. Plus, you have zero opportunity to do a trial run with a sedative to see how he reacts to the dose you are going to give .. another reason not to use a sedative. I've never had to sedate any of my dogs to travel with them on an airplane, and one of my dogs has huge anxiety issues.

#2 - go out NOW and buy a sturdy, well built Vari-Kennel with solid sides that is large enough for Odin to stand up fully in. Get it home and feed Odin inside it, and play in it, and make it the FUNNEST thing Odin's seen in his life! Even if you only have tonight to do it, DO IT!!!! It'll help, even just the one exposure. And use whatever blanket or t-shirt he knows and has his favorite scent on to send with him for the trip (and that you don't mind shredded - expect it to be destroyed).

#3 - make an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper as an information sheet to put on the top of Odin's kennel, and here's what goes on it in clear, waterproof marker or indelible ink. His name, your full name, your destination address and complete contact information, emergency contact information (if different from above), what food he eats (keep it simple and clear), when he last ate and when he last got water (keep it simple and clear), when he received his last rabies vaccination and core vaccinations, and his veterinarian's full contact information. If he has any special medications/needs, list name clearly, simply, and concisely (i.e., "Odin is epileptic and takes Phenobarb 100 mg twice a day", and last had his meds at 10 a.m. Oct 25/06). I often print this sheet out on my printer, then use CLEAR PACKING TAPE to tape it securely to the top of the Vari-Kennel so that all of the top of the paper is covered with the tape.

#4 - once I've arrived at the airport and have checked myself and my dog in, I then board the aircraft, inform the flight personnel that I'm travelling with a dog, and then I do this. I very politely and yet assertively board the aircraft, and ask the cabin personnel to please radio down to the cargo hold and VERIFY that my dog is on board. Until I have received verification, I do NOT sit down or buckle up, and will leave the flight if I cannot have confirmation that my dog is safely on board with me. I am extremely polite and courteous about this (I can't stress enough how important it is to be polite since the cabin personnel are getting bombarded from all sides at this point, and you'll likely get dirty looks from some passengers), and I inform the cabin personnel of this ahead of time, but I am persistent. I haven't flown with my dogs since the latest terrorist problems so I'm not sure how well it would go over now, but it's ALWAYS worked in the past, and I've always received positive confirmation that my dogs are on board and safely in the cargo hold, then I sit down, breathe a sigh of relief, and try to enjoy my flight. Each time I've done this, at least one passenger as given me a secret thumb's up for my persistence, although (as I said), I've also received many dirty looks, too (oh well, such is life).

Please PM me if you want any more pointers. I've flown at least 4-5 times with my dogs, and it's always gone smoothly, but it's been a few years now so I'm not sure how it would be these days. I really hate flying with the dogs and avoid it at all costs, but it is possible. I have had parrots flown *to* me (not *with* me), and that's gone smoothly, too, so I think it's still pretty good even now.

Skye

This may sound weird, but what about a cur run?

Are their members on this list who could help with transport? We would need people who are in the northern states, or in canada to help. I WAS going to be in Buffalo NOW, so I could have helped out. I can STILL help if you can get him to NY- I can get him much of the way to Newfoundland- if you treat me to a nice seafood dinner. Anyone else interested? I have done this many many times before- it is always well worth it, and easier on the dogs. We would need to be able to arrange this- and have a pick up place etc.

Julie

I won't say all the rude things that come to mind about the in-laws. :mad: :rolleyes:

But, as for this:

So now, my biggest problem in all this is that I want Odin to come with me to Newfoundland, but I'm afraid of putting him on a plane. [Frown]
You are definitely taking Odin with you. I don't think this is even an issue. So stop worrying about it right now. He will be fine on the plan for several hours. You will practice with him having high old times in the plane crate with treats, goodies, blankets, toys, etc. Nothing fun happens outside that crate until he gets out of it in Newfoundland with you. Piece of CAKE!! You will both be fine. Do all the things Skye said, those are excellent ideas. Don't sedate him.

5 hours is nothing! If he starts sleeping in the plane crate right now, 5 hours will be nothing compared to the 8 hours overnight and he won't even notice.

Allie + Tess & Kipp

http://weebordercollie.com

if its any consolation I was very scared of flying with Happy and Misty the first time, I was so scared that they staff would not be nice or they would be traumitized from the flight etc.. but ya know what? it was the total opposite, the girls were really stressed at first, but the staff was so friendly they instead they thought they were in heaven, at the way there they were very nervous and difficult to get into their crates, on the way back home they no longer had any reservations or fears, instead I opened the crates and they jumped in with wagging tails and huge grins on their faces.

as for crates, many dogs fly without being crate trained, and most flights have crates you can rent from them.

I wanted to add that I think you and your husband are being very brave and off to a new, positive phase in your lives! I moved away from my family and supported my husband while he was in college and in turn he supported me while I got my degree when the kids were older. It was so hard and well worth it! I bet your family is thrilled to have you closer to them. Best wishes to you and your family. Charlene

Well it's not 2:55 am and I haven't been able to get a wink of sleep. I have to be up at 6 and at the airport by 7.

I want to thank everyone for the advice and support, and share a little ray of hope: the reason the inlaws are against keeping Odin is because when he and their dog get together it's play play play run run run. all. the. time.

But I think that's because they don't see each other often. (maybe once a month, maybe less?)I'm thinking that if they gave it a week or two, just to try, that maybe they would calm down and get more used to each other. Odin really is a very laid back dog and so is Ziggy, so maybe after the novelty of playing all the time wears off they'll just go back to being lazy!

If that doesn't work Dh said he's going to dedicate himself to getting Odin crate trained and he will fly down with Odin when he (Odin) is ready.

My outlook is more postive than it was earlier, but I gotta tell ya - I'm terrified of flying!! I'm not looking forward to tomorrow at all and I don't think I'm going to get any sleep whatsoever. :rolleyes:

But! One thing that will make this all worth it for me is knowing I'll soon be able to see Odin run through pastures and fields as free as a bird. And walk through forests and play on the beach, swim in the ocean . . . maybe even roll in some washed up fish? :eek: I might even be able to rummage up some sheep for him. :D

Thanks again everyone, I'll try to keep you updated when I get to Newfoundland.

God speed to you! It sounds like things will work out! I am sure you are right about the novelty of playing! When you get Odin there and is running and rolling in dead fish, take lots of pics for us! All the luck in the world to you! Keep us posted! You'll be fine and so will Odin.

I hope whatever way you decide to transport him works out well.

If I were you, I would drive. Take the money you would have spent for tickets for yourself and the transport costs for Odin and rent a car. Or have you looked into train travel? Canadian trains allow dogs to travel - still in cargo but I personally would be more comfortable with Dublin traveling cargo on a train than a plane.

If you did want to do a transport chain, I can certainly help with the NY leg.