BC Boards

Meet Cali

Meet "Cali" she's a 1 year old freshly spayed what I believe is a Border Collie with some mottled spots or ticking. Her history according to the rescue who brought them into our spay/neuter day was a shelter turnover by an owner who unsuccessfully tried to strangle her at home and thus brought her to be euthanized.

Here she is by the way...at the clinic in full submission =) I'll follow up with a picture from 12 hours later in a second.

rosie.jpg

We have over come a LOT of things together (she was terrified of the leash, very unsure, afraid to approach food or take treats - she's come a long way in 3 days), but there's a few quirks that I'd like to help her get over so she can gain confidence...

1. Afraid of cars. Does not like to be near them, parked, or moving. If get coax her close enough to the car and get in the backseat she'll jump in. But when we're on runs and we get near a parked car on our side of the street, she'll suddenly bolt to the other side. Strange...

2. She will not walk into the garage, leashed or unleashed. When I get home I have to let her out of the car before the garage. She'll run right to the front door and wait for me to get inside and open the front door for her after I park in the garage. Strange.

Any ideas?

Here's some eye candy of her now and a short video to show how much she's changed in the last 3 days.

rosie1.jpg

roseie7.jpg

rosie4.jpg

rosie7.jpg

th_Video_101407_001.jpg

Thank you for helping this poor little girl. With all the things you have mentioned, the fear of leashes, going into the garage or in the car could be, considering her background, associated with abuse of some sort. It will take a long time, if it ever happens for her to get over this. Time and patience will be the best healers for her. However here are a couple of things that can be applied to both fear of the garage and the car

1) start feeding her near them, as close as you can get without stressing her

2) play lots of fun games around them

Alot of non-threatening body language from you will help alot, offer treats with no eye contact - look away or down as she approaches, lower yourself to the floor to make yourself less imposing when interacting with her. There are several good books out there for working with timid dogs, also alot of people here with the experience that far outstrips mine.

Guest WoobiesMom

What a beautiful girl!!! How did you find out the PO unsuccessfully tried to strangle her??

:rolleyes: That's terrible! I'm so glad you found her and are working so well with her! There's a ShyK9s group on Yahoo that has alot of people who are in a similar boat and I found the Cautious Canine book to be a big help. There's also a Calming Signals book that can teach you alot about body language dogs use to soothe and reassure each other, that might be helpful also. Good luck to you both, she deserves the best after all she's been through!

What a beautiful girl!!! How did you find out the PO unsuccessfully tried to strangle her??

:rolleyes: That's terrible! I'm so glad you found her and are working so well with her! There's a ShyK9s group on Yahoo that has alot of people who are in a similar boat and I found the Cautious Canine book to be a big help. There's also a Calming Signals book that can teach you alot about body language dogs use to soothe and reassure each other, that might be helpful also. Good luck to you both, she deserves the best after all she's been through!

The AC person who checked her in was specifically told by the owner that they had tried to kill her at home by strangulation in order to save the trip to the pound. Horrible =(

The AC person who checked her in was specifically told by the owner that they had tried to kill her at home by strangulation in order to save the trip to the pound. Horrible =(

That is so horrible!! My mind has a problem comprehending people like that. Thank you so much for taking her in.

She's lovely- I have a shy dog too- and I agree with the games and treats plan. That, and just be patient with her. Once she trusts you she'll start to come around on her own. It takes time and you don't always see progress in big jumps but it will happen. Once we had our shy guy in the house, it took him almost a week to calmly walk through a doorway. We don't know why, but he was quite frightened of them. It took him another several days to hop down from the couch (although the concept of climbing onto the couch posed no problem). I'm not as experienced as a lot of people here, but I would say don't coddle her, don't let her opt out of too many things because she is scared, but let her take her time. Treats go a long way. She'll do great now that she's in the care of someone who loves her.

Good looking girl.

I can't even get my brain around the idea of trying to strangle a dog to death and then to be so heartless as to admit it like it was no big deal,those kind of people make me buy more guns.

Good for you for being there to collect in this little darlin.

• 2 weeks later...

She is, indeed, quite stunning! She has beautiful eyes.

What a horrific story - I can't bear to imagine it. Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking her in and giving her a wonderful home.

How is Cali doing after a couple of weeks with you? It is so nice that she ended up with you. I imagine the MSU vet school has all kinds of resources for behavior as well as health issues. I will enjoy following her comeback story especially because I was born in East Lansing!

BTW, I looked at your photography website in your signature -- you've posted some AWESOME photographs!

OMG! they should've called the cops on them!! reading this brought an instant tear to my eyes- i cant believe people.... :rolleyes:

thank god she's safe now!

How is Cali doing after a couple of weeks with you? It is so nice that she ended up with you. I imagine the MSU vet school has all kinds of resources for behavior as well as health issues. I will enjoy following her comeback story especially because I was born in East Lansing!

BTW, I looked at your photography website in your signature -- you've posted some AWESOME photographs!

Cali is doing GREAT. We ran a 5k together this morning and everytime she looked back at me she would remind me that she's in much better shape than I =) Thanks for the comments!