BC Boards

Will your dogs eat veggies?

Rivendell will not eat veggies. At all.... nothing. However I did get her to put califlower in her mouth by making her think it was a toy. She has now left it crumbled all over my carpet and still didnt eat it. Anyone elses dogs not like veggies? I was looking into giving some various veggies or something new for a treat. Like people had said carrots and green beans....she REFUSES to eat ANY veggie....

Partly because Holly has a funny tummy and also as i like her to have healthy treats instead of the smacko's type treat - she get's and loves raw carrot/cooked carrot and cooked broccoli. She loves them. I don't really know what other veggies to try so it willl be intersting to see what replies you get. The above doesn't affect her bowels and also isn't fattening but i would like to include something different on the veggie type of treat .

Actually Holly never eats our human food apart from the above and the only time she get's any of my dinner is when i cook broccoli. She knows the smell and she knows she is going to get some after i have eaten mine. I put some in a dish for her when i dish up mine and leave it on the kitchen side to cool whilst i eat. Holly finds it where ever i try and hide it and sits by the cupboard just waiting.

So in answer to your question - No Holly doesn't not like them :rolleyes:

I haven't found a veggie yet neither one of the boys doesn't like but JJ does have a funny quirk about raw carrots. He likes them as a treat but he does not like them mixed in his food. :rolleyes: Whenever I put them in his food, he would pick them out and set them on the floor.

As a side, I heard a dog's digestive system is different than ours so to get any nutritional value from veggies, they need to be liquefied so I just put the veggies in a blender and pour the 'vegetable gravy' over their food.

I always tell my husband that Bingo, my Springer/BC mix, would be the best ferrell dog ever, because he'll eat ANYTHING. He loves any veggie or fruit we give him, including raw or cooked green beans, carrots, mushrooms, spinach, lettuce, brocolli, cauliflower, eggplant, tomatoes... really anything. He "farms" my cherry tomatoes, sniffing around and picking the ripe ones. Right now I have a big container of cubed zucchini in my fridge I'm using for treats. I just don't give him onions or raisins.

Ling sounds a little more like Riven. She'll take anything I hand her, very politely, then carry it into the other room and lay it down somewhere. The only things we've found that she likes are raw carrots (they must be the baby peeled kind), zucchini, and tomatoes.

Keep trying different veggies, maybe you'll hit on one she loves!

Just a thought Clara, i can't remember where i read it but the leaves of tomato plants are toxic to dogs. Not saying your dog eats the leaves or even if it is actually completely true. Just thought i would mention it as it has put me off growing my own tomato plants now as Holly likes a bit of greenery sometimes and i couldn't trust her not to have a munch.

Boiled and mashed pumpkin is the only veggie that Taj has had so far but he loves it so much that he will eat it *before* his raw chicken/RMB/lamb.

My Shar-Pei, Tia eats every vegie that has been served to her (table scraps), although I don't think I have tried salad type vegies (tomato, lettuce).

My very first dog would eat every vegie except peas, no matter how you'd hide them, she would lick all the gravy/other food off them then spit them back in her bowl, intact and completey clean.

As a pup, my dog has given everything a try. By now, at almost 2, he deceided veggies and fruits are not for dogs, unless they're cooked in soup or another dish and mixed with his food. He would politely take what's offered, then desgusted will drop it at your feet: "Beah!". If he REALLY doesn't want it, he even pushes your hand/treat away with his nose: "Take this thing away from me!"

Guest WoobiesMom

Well, they don't look like veggies but Woobie got a veggie popsicle for a snack today. It's cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, peas, soybeans, eggs, low-sodium beef broth and canned salmon all pureed in a blender and then put into a muffin pan and frozen. He loved it! Probably because of the salmon smell and not the veggies. And he got it in his kennel so he wouldn't make a mess!

My guys all love carrots, and some will eat celery and lettuce (others just crunch on it a bit and leave little chewed up bits all over). When I'm doing stuff in the garden I'll sometimes throw them some green or yellow beans over the fence and they'll often eat them. Other times they don't seem interested. They had a great time with some cucumbers a few weeks back. I had planted pickling cucumbers but didn't get them picked when I should have, so most of them got really big and started turning yellow and orange. I picked off those ones and started throwing them over the fence to feed to the bunnies, but before I got into the yard to gather them up the dogs were all having a great time with them. They were eating them but also playing with them, tossing them around and trotting around with them in their mouths. They seemed a little disappointed when I gathered a bunch of them up and gave them to the bunnies. Later when the dogs came into the house I found a chunk of cucumber in my living room that somebody brought inside with them.

Mine also like fruit. Pieces of apples, pears, some will eat bananas etc. I've also had some eat oranges or clementines.

I've also had some eat oranges or clementines.

Err... What's a clementine?

Niki ate a strawberry today. She hangs out by the counter when I'm preparing food, hoping something yummy will fall. Today it happened to be a piece of the strawberries that I was putting on my breakfast cereal. (Someday it's going to be a chunk of jalapeno pepper, though.) Took her a couple of tentative tastings, but she finally decided it was ok.

She also likes to chew on corncobs, and nibble on cantalope shells and watermelon rinds.

Today it happened to be a piece of the strawberries that I was putting on my breakfast cereal. (Someday it's going to be a chunk of jalapeno pepper, though

lol you put jalapenos on your cereal? :rolleyes::D

I had a rottie once that regularly stole food off any table. I finally started hiding balls of hamburger with jalapenos in it. She'd eat it, spit out the peppers. I'd say "eat that!" She'd grab the peppers in her front teeth and shake it as if trying to shake the spicy off lol. It did cure her of eating off the table though

Solo doesn't eat things that never had faces.

I can get him to eat some veggies if they are cooked in butter, but only if they are squishy, and half the time he licks the butter off and spits out the vegetable bits.

I guess he'd probably eat veggies with cheese on them, but I never cook veggies that way because it's gross.

i suspect kingsley eat the vegetables that i give him cos i eat them as snacks and will dish them out to him.

like brocoii, cucumber, lettuce..carrots, peas, celery and beans.

other than that if i introduce new veggies to him, he need to learn how to eat other veggies. i'd put things like his livered flavoured supplements or yogurt on them to entice him to eat them.

My boys will eat just about anything I offer them. They routinely get things like raw carrots and green beans, but they also get a bit of whatever fruit I have in the house, especially when it hits the point that I won't eat it anymore, but it's not gone "bad". All three of my boys AND most of the fosters are also COMPLETELY obsessed with lettuce. I don't like the crunchy, stalk part of lettuce, so whenever I make a salad for myself, I pull off the stalky or really thick pieces and toss them to the dogs. You would think it was the best treat in the world...when lettuce really doesn't even have a lot of flavor. I'm not sure if it's that they really like the lettuce or if it's just that they think they're getting something special because it's what I'm eating. :rolleyes:

Other common fruits/veggies that they get: apple, any kind of melon, pineapple, tomato, broccoli (they don't get that much, but they'll eat it pretty readily), snap peas, green peas, small amounts of potato, an occasional grape, strawberries (though I hog those for myself :D ), pumpkin...the list goes on.

Recently I had two leftover party trays of fruits and veggies. It was way more than I could finish before they started to go a little off, so I gave the rest to my guys and the fosters. Amazingly, every single one ate everything in their bowls with the exception of the celery, and at least half of the dogs ate that too. Maddie, one of the fosters, apparently LOVES celery. She cleaned up after any dog that left it behind.

My experience with dogs that don't want to eat fruits or veggies is to try the really juicy, soft stuff first. Melon is REALLY popular with just about every dog I've met. Tomato's a good one too. Cooked carrot and canned green beans are good starter veggies.

Oreo never ate veggies of any kind.

If I put a green bean mixed in Zeeke's dry food bowl, I'll come back later to one green bean. He REALLY doesn't like veggies, LOL! He spits them out.

Zoe on the other hand... she'll eat pretty much any veggie I give her. She loves green beans, I put them on her food sometimes to beef it up a bit (because she eats so little actual food). I added chopped up carrots the other day, she liked that too. (And then when she's done, she'll run over and eat all the veggies that Zeeke spit out and left behind.)

Its so amazing how different all of our dogs are. I tried cooking broccoli in a cheesy rice/chicken casserole I made yesterday. I gave her some (w/only 1 piece of broccoli). She ate all of it. Then promptly walked in the living room and stood in front of me. I knew what she was doing.. I stuck my hand out and she spit ONLY the broccoli in my hand! She sucked the rice and cheese off it and gave me back the broccoli. I can only assume she was making a point. Mom, stop giving me veggies! :rolleyes:

Rusty LOVES carrots, there are the one and ONLY treat he will do absolutly anything for, its quite funny lol. he would be outside yapping his fool head off refusing to pay any attention to me, and I can offer any other treat, hot dogs, raw meat etc.. and he doesnt care, but if I yell "Rusty! you want a CARROT?!" he will turn around and fly in the house so fast you wont know what hit you lol

Perkys faverite treat is Apples. if I placed an apple beside a hunk of meat and let her choose, she would go straight for the apple, the dog is obbessed.

the rest of dogs will happily take veggies for treats, but wont nessasarily choose the veggies over meat.

They sort of like steamed or somehow cooked veggies mixed in with their other food as a stew type thing but if I would throw a carrot out they would both most likely ignore it or play with it as a toy.

Ok, so I just did an experiment with a raw carrot and offered a piece to each dog. Millie politely took it and dropped it, then looked around for something better. Lucy sniffed then disinterestly licked at it, then ignored it.