BC Boards

NEW PUP

Hi all

I am new to this forum and really like it.

I will start off with a question. For over a week i have been watching this dog in the bushes down the road. It is a clump of brush on a corner. We live in a very rual area. Last friday my wife came home from work and said the dog is laying in the road. WELL we went back and got the dog out of the brush. We brought him home and you would think he ownes the house.He is a BC about 7-10 mo.old.

He is the most loving dog I have ever seen. He is housebroken.crate trained,sits shakes and stayes in the yard. I have checked everyware dog pound, humaine siocety, and the local store ,nothing. The guy at the dog pound bets it is a drop off. He said if a dog runs it will keep running, if it is droped off it will stay at spot it is droped off. My question is , if I want to keep this dog how long should I wait before I put money into him? Next question, I have a 13 year old 100# mut with bad hips They do seem to get along, Would this be bad for the 13 year old?? Last question, I have raised 4 GSD is their alot of diffrent's training BC and GSD?

LONG WINDED SORRY

Wow, don't apologize for telling your story -- you came to the right place to get some good input. Thank you for helping this young border collie. It sounds like you've done a good bit of calling around to see if his owner has lost him, but your dog pound is probably right. You could post him in the lost/found section of Craigslist, if you have one for your area. Also lots of newspapers publish (both online and in the paper edition) "found pets" ads for free. Suggest you try these things, but don't wait too long to make this young dog your own. You sound like good dog people!

Can you post a picture of him? We love pictures!

Wow, don't apologize for telling your story -- you came to the right place to get some good input. Thank you for helping this young border collie. It sounds like you've done a good bit of calling around to see if his owner has lost him, but your dog pound is probably right. You could post him in the lost/found section of Craigslist, if you have one for your area. Also lots of newspapers publish (both online and in the paper edition) "found pets" ads for free. Suggest you try these things, but don't wait too long to make this young dog your own. You sound like good dog people!

Can you post a picture of him? We love pictures!

Yes I love dogs. Can you tell me do BC travel good? I am going to retire in 3 years and want to travel in a RV. They seem like they are as smart as a shepherd if so they should train well.

Hi all

I am new to this forum and really like it.

I will start off with a question. For over a week i have been watching this dog in the bushes down the road. It is a clump of brush on a corner. We live in a very rual area. Last friday my wife came home from work and said the dog is laying in the road. WELL we went back and got the dog out of the brush. We brought him home and you would think he ownes the house.He is a BC about 7-10 mo.old.

He is the most loving dog I have ever seen. He is housebroken.crate trained,sits shakes and stayes in the yard. I have checked everyware dog pound, humaine siocety, and the local store ,nothing. The guy at the dog pound bets it is a drop off. He said if a dog runs it will keep running, if it is droped off it will stay at spot it is droped off. My question is , if I want to keep this dog how long should I wait before I put money into him? Next question, I have a 13 year old 100# mut with bad hips They do seem to get along, Would this be bad for the 13 year old?? Last question, I have raised 4 GSD is their alot of diffrent's training BC and GSD?

LONG WINDED SORRY

Hi! You are good people to take this pup in......we are GSD/BC people too.....don't worry about being long winded, I am too! We got our pup (Bo) in the fall....8 weeks old, my husband thought I was nuts and I did too a little, we had a 9 yr old BC/GSD mix and a 7 yr old GSD. Well our GSD adopted him as her own (even though she had never had pups), the GSD/BC mix was the cranky "granny" as I like to call her...anyway long story short, our GSD (Betti) developed Neuological Myopathy in the winter and we had to put her to sleep....the hardest thing we have ever had to do as pet owners....but what I'm getting at is the cranky BC/GSD (Lucy) adapted well to the pup after that, and even though she is very healthy, they get along well, so don't worry so much about the age thing....not sure about the hip issue, but just make sure the pup doesn't tire your older dog out.....and no, I think the training is the same, and I'm not sure if it's just because I had more time with the Bo than the Betti or not, but it seems that Bo was actually easier to train.

ANYWAY, good luck whatever happens, and I think that if you are able to keep the pup, you will be very pleased!!!!

Take care,

Lisa

Hi! You are good people to take this pup in......we are GSD/BC people too.....don't worry about being long winded, I am too! We got our pup (Bo) in the fall....8 weeks old, my husband thought I was nuts and I did too a little, we had a 9 yr old BC/GSD mix and a 7 yr old GSD. Well our GSD adopted him as her own (even though she had never had pups), the GSD/BC mix was the cranky "granny" as I like to call her...anyway long story short, our GSD (Betti) developed Neuological Myopathy in the winter and we had to put her to sleep....the hardest thing we have ever had to do as pet owners....but what I'm getting at is the cranky BC/GSD (Lucy) adapted well to the pup after that, and even though she is very healthy, they get along well, so don't worry so much about the age thing....not sure about the hip issue, but just make sure the pup doesn't tire your older dog out.....and no, I think the training is the same, and I'm not sure if it's just because I had more time with the Bo than the Betti or not, but it seems that Bo was actually easier to train.

ANYWAY, good luck whatever happens, and I think that if you are able to keep the pup, you will be very pleased!!!!

Take care,

Lisa

I was working in the barn tonight and I started missing tools.

The pup was with me. To make a long story short , he was taking my tools and putting them by a tree in the back of the barn. When I went out back to get them he would take more tools out the front door and put him on the deck. If I didn't know better I think he was being a smart-A##

The pup was with me. To make a long story short , he was taking my tools and putting them by a tree in the back of the barn. When I went out back to get them he would take more tools out the front door and put him on the deck. If I didn't know better I think he was being a smart-A##

Yep. If you end up keeping him, you'll need a sense of humor. :rolleyes:

That is too cute, these are ultra smart dogs, so he might have been!!! I seriously thought that our Betti (the GSD) was the smartet dog ever, she could open our sliding door, and ALWAYS knew who was ok or not to come and go, but Bo is just something else.....our Lucy, who is a mix of both, is smart, but not like either one of the other two, and especially Bo.....these BC's are too much....

:rolleyes: I'd say he's looking for a job! I have a 'foundling' too. He was definitely sitting in exactly the same place when I drove by him (twice) before picking him up. While he's not a BC, I can say without a doubt he's brought a lot of joy, laughter and the odd "what the heck was I doing to keep him' moments.

I'm very fortunate that all my dogs travel very well.

As for your 13 year old - the pup may be the best 'medicine' for him. When Dusty came home with me, my 11 year old miniature schnauzer (with heart condition) started acting like a puppy again! Their favourite pastime is to play chase.

Good luck with the pup - and YES, pictures would be great :D

aawww... the kid is trying to be useful..

very soon.. you'd be able to get him to identify tools and bring them to you by name.

You - i need the screwdriver

*dog trots off to the tool box, select the correct tool, carrys it in his mouth... brings it to you.. drop it in your hands with tail wagging and sits while you praise him and waits for the next instruction*

lol

aawww... the kid is trying to be useful..

very soon.. you'd be able to get him to identify tools and bring them to you by name.

You - i need the screwdriver

*dog trots off to the tool box, select the correct tool, carrys it in his mouth... brings it to you.. drop it in your hands with tail wagging and sits while you praise him and waits for the next instruction*

lol

Hey, I know this is off subject Shanni, but I lived in Singapore for 2 yrs in 74/76.....it was an awesome experience....my dad taught at the American school there.....and your pup is sooo cute!!!

Hey, I know this is off subject Shanni, but I lived in Singapore for 2 yrs in 74/76.....it was an awesome experience....my dad taught at the American school there.....and your pup is sooo cute!!!

And that is sooo true about the job to do thing too....Bo knows all his toys by name and I am working on making him put them away when he is done, it's a little work but he's starting to get it.......he also thinks that playing ball is his job and has it in his mouth every time we try to go outside...

AAAHHHHhhh.. that is so cool..

the country changed pretty much since then... bet you wouldn't recognise much of it if you come down for a visit.. but if you do.. please give me a yell.. i'd be more than happy to show you around.

Welcome to the boards and thank you for taking that little guy in. It sounds liek a drop off to me. They do tend to stay in the place they were dropped off in. Kind of like they're waiting for them to come back.

BC's travel very well. Mine actually likes my (his) truck almost as much as his frisbee. Has he made himself at home yet? I think you found yourself a good dog there.

Yes, you do need a good sence of humor with BC's. They'll do anything, a lot of it I think they'll do just to confuse you :rolleyes:

Hello Brownie,welcome to the boards.

Looks like you've found a good pal.

He tell you his name yet?lol

If it were me I would just keep receipts for any expenditures (Daily kennel fee,,food,,meds,,vacines,,vet visits,, grooming costs,,costs of attempting to locate owner,,the bill can become substantial in short order :rolleyes: ) for the time being,at least until what is concidered a reasonable length of time has passed.

Take him to the vet get him checked out.

Your doing the responsible thing by making good effort to find the pervious owner.

If by some slim chance someone were to show up and try to lay claim to him by law you are entitled to reinbursments of all your expenditures and can hold the dog as collateral (encurring addition expenditures)

case like this possession really is 9/10ths of the law,,your actions more then covers the other 1/10th.

A smart BC like the one you describe will amaze you constantly for the rest of your relationship with him.

Great traveling pals.

backseatdriver.jpg

Welcome to the wonderful, wild, and always loving world of border collies! BC's for the most part are great travelers. In 2005 my family and I traveled from PA to AZ and back (5000mi) in a 31ft RV w/4 border collies and 1 aust. shepherd. The dogs were excellent, each staked out a spot to sleep and that was that. They were happy as clams to ride, look out the windows and check out new potty stops for sessions of ball or frisbee along the way.

Check with the animal control agency in your area about the law where you live. In most places, a dog would be considered yours legally after you have had it for a certain number of days. You may have already satisfied the law, since you notified the shelter and Humane Society right away. Then you can spend money without worry. Meanwhile, someone already suggested saving any receipts for money you must spend. THat would work here, I know.

Kathy Robbins

Check with the animal control agency in your area about the law where you live. In most places, a dog would be considered yours legally after you have had it for a certain number of days. You may have already satisfied the law, since you notified the shelter and Humane Society right away. Then you can spend money without worry. Meanwhile, someone already suggested saving any receipts for money you must spend. THat would work here, I know. Good luck, he sounds like a great dog!

Kathy Robbins

Hi Brownie,

I just wanted to say that I have a 7 month old BC and two senior dogs (9 and 11) and I must say my old girls have been given a new life since I brought the puppy home about 5 weeks ago. They love to play with him, or just be around him and once I broke him of his herding other dogs issue, he really seems to know his limits with them and when they are tired and want to stop playing he doesn't push it. I bet your puppy is old enough to be the same with your old guy. I also bet he will like to travel. All of mine love to go to new places. Lucky you! I wish I could retire and travel around in an RV. I think you said in 3 years. By that time your puppy will be so attached to you that it probably won't matter where you are or what you are in, as long as you are there. Good luck and you are wonderful people for taking him in.

Tammy

Hi all

Since my last post I have talked to the pound again,Had him on the radio and took him to my vet to see if he has a chip ( he has none). The vet tec thinks he is less than 1 year old. He is housebroken, crate trained, sleeps all night , does not mess with my old dog, plays with the cats, He sits, shakes hands, walks on a leash ,and stays in the yard. Too good to be true, I am wating for him to explode. :D

OK: I am going to keep him. Now can I train him to get a JOB so I can retire early???

Now how long do I wait to get his shots and get him fixed?

I will post pictures as soon as I figure out how to use the camera :rolleyes:

Now how long do I wait to get his shots and get him fixed?

Anytime now would be fine. You might want to check with your county and see if there is a certain number of days you need to wait before the dog can legally be considered yours, but if that's not an issue you can go ahead and set up a appointment with your vet.

It sounds like you have found a wonderful dog. Thanks for taking him in, and I hope you have many wonderful years together!