BC Boards

Who needs hand lotion when you've got BC's?!?!

Only my BC's do this...the other two smaller ones have never taken any interest, but for some reason I can rub hand lotion all over my hands and before it soaks in good, there they are licking it off. Doesn't matter what brand. I know it can't taste good either so I figured it has to be the scent that attracts them for the most part.

Oh and another thing...Navi thinks he's got to save my underarms from that icky white stuff we call deoderant. :rolleyes: He's sneaky about it too. He will get in my lap for hugs and all of a sudden that tongue comes out of nowhere trying to lick my underarms. It really annoys me when he does that and one would think that as many times as I've corrected him for it he would know by now that he's not supposed to do that, but I guess its too great a temptation.

Is it just my goofy dogs or does anyone elses do these kinds of things?

You need to talk to my wife. Dixie's tounge is allways ready to clean that yucky white stuff off her Mama. Whether it's hand lotion or deordorant. :D:rolleyes:

Bo is a MAJOR licker....I try and try to deter it, but to no avail.....lotion on legs, water on legs, hands, armpits......all the same....weird it must be a BC thing......I've heard that his brother is a licker too....i ra

Guest WoobiesMom

Our old cat is crazy about our underarms. You'll wake up in the middle of the night to scrape scrape scrape and there is Miss Jackie licking away. Ick!

And no bare foot is safe from Woobie's tongue.

~the cat's name is a coincidence, I did not name my cat after myself, she came with the name, she's red, I'm a redhead, how could I not rescue her when she took up residence on my porch?~

Lick em back and see how they like it :D

Our dogs never try to lick my pits,,but they do make a concerted effort to lick my wife's at every oppurtunity.

Hmmm,perhaps females are just more lickable? :rolleyes:

water on legs, hands, armpits

Oh whew!!! What a relief to read this thread! I thought my dog had a screw loose in this department (well, maybe she does, but so do other dogs!). Ling is fanatical about licking my feet and legs when I get out of the shower. Or her other favorite is to push the door open if it's not all the way latched when I'm in the tub, and lick any part of leg or arm that isn't completely submerged. She'll only do it until the water droplets are gone, or until I tell her it's enough, but I've always thought it was so bizarre how determined she is to lick water off my skin. It grosses my husband out, but I think it's kind of funny.

Lotion, on the other hand, is yucky. If I've just lotioned my hands, and I approach her as if to pet her head, she flattens her ears like I'm coming to kill her! She is completely put off by it. I've tried to switch lotion just to see if it's a particular scent, but she's not having it. I have to wait until my hands are completely dry and unslippery if I want to touch her.

I think it's a dog thing in general - Quynn loves to lick my face, hands and legs, especially after I've gone on a run or have been working in the heat. Yum, salt. Sierra, one of my IGs, does it often and my terrier did the same.

Ick! :rolleyes::D

Dazzle is a toe licker. When we have visitors, she will sometimes just make rounds in the living room - licking each persons' toes briefly. :rolleyes: You can see how sad she gets if you put socks on!

In terms of lotion, in this house that is a Shih-Tzu thing. They are crazy for lotion (this includes licking the bottle).

Ru is just as bad!!! He has this licking obsession. I have to actually put lotion on in another room otherwise he is all over it. I hate feet ( just human ones, dog toes are ok! :D ) and Ru has a habit of just casually walking by and going in for a quick lick. It drives me nuts! I think he does is just to make me squeal! :rolleyes: He's such a coo-coo!

Kessie always licks my shins when I change trousers to go outside with her. I tend to scratch myself there when I'm nervous, so maybe she licks because the skin is irritated...it feels like it helps, so I let her :D . She also tried to lick some yucky-smelling insect repellant off my hands once, but she was making faces and trying to spit it out after every few licks, so that was more a case of "messy human needing a wash".

Kyla isn't much of a licker, but she's nuts about the festival wristbands I wear (Oasis played there, so I keep them on while they last). Whenever I come out of the shower she tries to lick them dry (or so I thought...but after reading this thread, I also think she might like the shampoo that gets caught on them...yuck :rolleyes: ).

And I let him.

It feels really good.

Same here, with Quynn. :rolleyes:

Dakota licks. Doesn't matter if I have lotion on or not. He'll be sitting next to me and all the sudden he'll just mindlessly start licking any exposed skin. Drives me nuts, I tried once to see how long it would take him to get tired of it and stop. It took about 15 minutes and by then I needed a shower. The command "no lick" is used a lot here.

Eve doesn't lick lotion. Only if I've picked up food will she lick my hands. Sometimes she'll give me *one* lick on the face as a kiss, but that's it.

Dash licks everything, including the toilet bowl, dead worms and mystery "meat" laying on the ground at the park. She's not allowed to lick faces for obvious reasons.

Ouzo is a lotion lover. Any ointment, as a matter of fact. Neosporin is doggy crack for him. Chapstick is very high on his Christmas (or everyday) wish list. No preference for any paricular flavor - he's eaten at least 10 Chapsticks so far.

Ouzo also has a foot fetish. Lotion or no lotion. It started a few months ago, so it's still something new he's experimenting with.

Grace: we have a "No Lick" command, but it's used strictly for outside, when Ouzo feels irresistably attracted to pee scents on the grass - female, most likely... Beah. At least he listens and agrees that marking the spot is almost as good as licking it - unless I am not looking, then quickly steals a few licks on the grass and moves on chattering his jaws...tasting the "flavor"...

I'm glad to hear that my dogs aren't the only ones that love lotion. They've done it since they were puppies and it really doesn't bother me that they lick....I just don't particularly care for them taking all of my lotion off. Especially since I use lotion just after a bath or washing my hands. Armpits are a different story though....I cannot stand it....its just so disgusting.

This may sound strange, but I just don't see my dogs as dirty or germy. They can slather all over me, get their hair all over me, put their dirty paws on me and it does not bother me. I can get around other dogs and play w/ them all day long, and when I come home I feel like I smell like dog and need to freshen up. Even when other dogs are just as clean as mine. Anyone else feel like that too?!?!

When we had our golden retriever whenever I put lotion on my legs, I would have to lock myself into a room until I was COMPLETELY soaked in. She would chase you all over the house to lick your legs. It became really funny when my mom dog-sat her for a weekend, and I forgot to tell her about this idiosyncrasy (my mom is not a big dog person, she loves what I love because she loves me, but doesn't really love the dog for itself, you know?)