BC Boards

How about this mix?

Can foxes reproduce with dogs? Or are they maybe saying fox terrier/hound? I know that coyotes and wolves could but foxes?

Crazy people

--Denise

I'll admit, just because I haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it can't happen but I was wondering the same thing, Denise. We have a number of wild foxes in this and surrounding areas and I've never heard of them mating with intact dogs.

This is what I found on wikipedia

[edit] Dox

An unconfirmed female terrier/fox hybrid was reported, and later euthanized (put to sleep), in the UK. British gamekeeper folklore claims that Terrier bitches can produce offspring with dog Foxes.Other known dogs are the Alaskan Malamute, Sheltie, Siberian huskies, and most of the hound groups. The supposed hybrids (known as a dox) are natural variation in the domestic dog. There has been a reported cross between a domestic dog and a South American fox, but the latter was a fox-like wolf, known as the maned wolf, and not a true fox.

In Saskatchewan, Canada there was another supposed dox, this time a female miniature Sheltie with a wild fox. There was a litter of three, but only one survived. The surviving (a female) was sterile, and looked like an almost pure fox, with slight variations. However, the variability of dogs in appearance makes it impossible to determine whether an animal is hybrid based on looks. Most Cases the Dox will have gold or yellow eyes, wired hair, and with black red and gray hairs covering most of the body.

sounds pretty unlikely to me

... her great grandfather was half fox...

:rolleyes::D:D

Did you hear that gopher snakes have started mating with rattlesnakes? They're producing offspring that have venom, but don't have rattles. So their bite can kill you and there's, like, no warning!

That story's been around forever, too, and it's bunk: Pituophis and Crotalus can't make babies.

The ad sounds like tall-tale nonsense, IMHO.

According to Iris Combe, "fox collie" is an old term that was used to describe a farm collie that looked... foxy. Reddish coat, up ears. Sometimes the result of a terrier cross, back in the day. She writes that zoologists have observed matings between foxes and dogs "under controlled conditions," but that the matings produced no offspring.

Intergeneric hybrids are known among felids and marine mammals "under controlled conditions," but a fox + collie mating would be incredibly unusual in a farm setting, if you ask me. I imagine any offspring, if they could be produced in the first place, would be sterile. Melanie would know a ton more about this...

I can't find anything about "Shemson collies" on any search engine I'm familiar with, and part of my job involves searching for things online. . . .

probably an old family/folklore tale she was told by the farmer that sold her the dogs in the first place. Silly human :rolleyes:

Did you hear that gopher snakes have started mating with rattlesnakes? They're producing offspring that have venom, but don't have rattles. So their bite can kill you and there's, like, no warning!

I have a gopher snake. Her name is Merlin. She's highly venomous but has never bitten anyone. Thank God!!!

LOL

Also, Merlin may be a he, I cant tell.

I can't follow the link, it appears broken to me, I'll try again tomorrow.

Foxes cannot reproduce with dogs. Not even in test tube fertilization!

They have even a different number of chromosomes.

If you want a interesting link refering canine genetics in a not too scientific language I recommend this link.

The Poodle and the Chocolate Cake

LOL BorderC, get me a pic of his / her vent and tail and I can sex it for ya =) I've been breeding and researching snakes for a few years =)

Oh cool! I hope she's a girl. lol. I will take a pic tomorrow. This may be a clue though, I've never really researched gopher snakes. She has a little scale at the tip of her tail that she will poke you with. And shake it back and forth like she's working it into you. Trying to sting you or something. My first idea was that she's a he and horny and thinking my arm was a snake. I have no idea.

EDIT: that may not make sense. But maybe it will to you, a snake expert.

Guest LJS1993
i am currently owned by a coyote/border mix who is a great guy.he howls alot though

Any pics? How is the energy level of your dog? It must be high considering it is Border and Coyote.

Any pics? How is the energy level of your dog? It must be high considering it is Border and Coyote.

border times two :rolleyes: but he lets me know when someone is two miles from the front door.ill post some pics of all the pack soon as i am actually going to buy a digital .......finally

i am currently owned by a coyote/border mix who is a great guy.he howls alot though

My purebred BCs howl a lot :rolleyes: They sound like a pack of coyotes when I come to the door after being away.

We want pics of your Coy Dog! How did the owner of the mother know she was bred by a coyote? Did she see her bred?