BC Boards

Friend needs help choosing new (non-BC) dog

I figured that since several people on here have "auxiliary" dogs, this might be a good place to ask.

My mom's friend is looking for a new dog and asked for my input. Originally she had a bichon frise, but the grooming was too much to handle. The woman has multiple sclerosis and a few other health problems (in fact, I think she is just finishing up chemotherapy) and cannot handle a large dog or one that is high maintainence. She seems to want a low-maintainence, calm dog that can easily fit into her household. I don't think she wants anything that is prone to jumping on her, though, because her health issues make it painful for a dog to sit in her lap or anything.

Is there a low-maintenance breed that might fit her needs?

Oh, and I'm sure her husband will help out with the dog too so I don't think her health issues would make having a dog impossible....she just wants to be the main caretaker I think. (her husband works and her son is in college, and she is at home with her health problems every day).

I think a lab mix would be great for her. Especially if the lab part is more "field trial" than AKC version.

The short hair eliminates grooming problems. It would be tall enough for her to pet without leaning 9especially if she's in a wheel-chair of scooter. And it could be trained as a sort of service dog, whci something smaller could not - at least as easily.

Could you help her contact local rescue groups? She would probably do better with a young adult (or teen-age) dog, with proven temperament. And, who knows, some totally different dog might turn out to be perfect.

What about hair? Grooming needs? Energy? Size, basically lots of questions. Something that is low maintenance is a Pug. But, there are other small dogs that could be nice. But she has to seriously consider her lifestyle. If she can get the dog professionally groomed, that would open more possibilities. The more I think about it, a Pug would do nicely. They are happy to just be with you, and don't need to be in your lap, or even BETTER- a French Bulldog :rolleyes:

Julie

I figured that since several people on here have "auxiliary" dogs, this might be a good place to ask.

My mom's friend is looking for a new dog and asked for my input. Originally she had a bichon frise, but the grooming was too much to handle. The woman has multiple sclerosis and a few other health problems (in fact, I think she is just finishing up chemotherapy) and cannot handle a large dog or one that is high maintainence. She seems to want a low-maintainence, calm dog that can easily fit into her household. I don't think she wants anything that is prone to jumping on her, though, because her health issues make it painful for a dog to sit in her lap or anything.

Is there a low-maintenance breed that might fit her needs?

Oh, and I'm sure her husband will help out with the dog too so I don't think her health issues would make having a dog impossible....she just wants to be the main caretaker I think. (her husband works and her son is in college, and she is at home with her health problems every day).

I don't know how small of a dog she would need, but a pug, chihuahua for small ones come to mind. Cav. King Chas. Spaniel are nice dogs, field spaniel, clumber spaniel, are a little larger and tend to be laid back. What about a beagle or mix there of? I'd also suggest contacting a rescue for any of these or other breeds as well them their needs and perhaps they could match the right dog to the situation.

Maybe a mix of a particular breed might suit their needs.

She doesn't like large dogs (including labs) because she's slightly afraid of them I think, and she can't exercise one.

Small dogs are her area of interest (but not too tiny), moderate energy (no terriers), low grooming, preferably not needing professional grooming either.

She's rather particular, so I'm not sure what (if anything) is perfect.....but she did like her Bichon (except it needed too much physical contact. )

Hmmm... if she wants a dog that is small, has short hair and is by temperament calm, she might consider a pug. They're small and generally both calm and low-activity (also quite charming for the most part, and very companionable.) They do tend to snore, but if they're kept trim that can be minimized. Also, short hair, so not so much grooming. They may need attention to the facial folds in some cases. Doxies (miniature) are small and can be energetic, but the little short legs do put some limits on them. They can be prone to back problems and sometimes dental problems. A lot of them used to be kinda bitey but they're mostly pretty sweet these days. French bulldogs are also very charming, a little more physically substantial than pugs, but may have the same issues with facial folds and snoring. Still - awfully charming little dogs, and fairly low activity. Keeping them (or a pug) trim is quite important and helps a ton with both the snoring and the skin-fold dermatitis.

Most of the terrier breeds are going to be pretty high-energy, especially when young, and most require grooming. The little poodles can go either way, but they have to be groomed. I've met some very layabout pomeranians (though most are fairly active), but they have a lot of coat. Pekes can be low-activity, but again - grooming (also I've seen several who were quite bitey and right little brats, and that doesn't seem right for this person.) Papillions are adorable and charming but probably too active, especailly as puppies. Shih Tzus - grooming. Lhasas - grooming. Maltese - grooming. There are a lot of little kind-hearted dogs, but many of them have a ton of grooming, or else are higher activity, or both.

If she was willing to do an adult dog rescue, she'd have a chance to see what the temperament was before she got the dog... plus she'd skip the hyper puppy stage. Would she consider rescue?

ETA: Crossposting with everyone! :rolleyes:

Frenchies are *really* expensive, and as my friends who have them have pointed out, are super prone to health problems. You have to pick up an extra expensive Frenchie to avoid this, I hear.

The thing about small dogs is they tend to live a long time, so it is not uncommon for people to give them up when they are around 8-10 years old, and still have another 8 years or so in them. The small dog rescues here are chock full of dogs in this age range. Doxies, for example, show up at alarming rates in the 5-10 year range in shelters in California. (Doxies are almost unheard of in rescue here, but there they have so many they can't pull them all from the shelters.)

I'd suggest she take her needs to a small dog rescue in her area and discuss this with them. She is likely to easily find a smaller, mature dog who would love a stay at home buddy.

RDM

Another advantage of doing an adult rescue would be that often if the dog HAS some of those breed-related issues, those are already known. (I won't say always, but certainly more often and more predictably than one would know when getting a puppy, who is still in many ways a pig in a poke.) Plus, the original owner is the one that paid out that $2400 (or whatever) for the dog, and the adopter of a surrendered adult doesn't have to do that. Bonus! (Even if expense of purchase is not an issue for this person).

Cavaliers ARE charming dogs, but the experts say that 100% of them (yes, ALL of them, no exceptions) will have cardiac disease sooner or later - unless they die of something else while they're young. It's really too bad, because they're completely delightful little dogs. It's just hearbreaking when a 4 or 5 year old Cav crashes and burns because of abrupt-onset cardiac disease. Luckily they don't all go that young, but still.... :rolleyes:

What about an IG or whippet? http://www3.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm has a sort of match-maker feature, where you can input certain requirements and get a breed suggestion, plus a description and pictures. Not that asking here is by any means a bad way to get the same information, but such a search might turn up new avenues.

Pugs are great --- my sis has one that rocks --- but they shed like crazy, from what I'm told. German shepherd-league shedding. I hear that from everybody I know who has pugs.

And those smooshed faces... oy. Dogs with those freakishly short noses need special surgery just to breathe comfortably.

If you go to PetHarbor.com you can check out your local pounds/shelters/rescues. (Click on "I lost my pet" to see the most dogs.) A friend of mine just adopted a miniature poodle she spotted at a shelter on PetHarbor. Annette has allergy issues, and, well... she just loves poodles. Her last one, also a rescue, lived to be 18 or so. Her new dog was so matted when he was found that the shelter folks had to shave him pretty much down to the skin, and they told Annette that if the owner had come to claim him he/she would have been charged with neglect. Happy ending, though --- this dog will have tons of love and a super home.

You can find really nice, whippet-y looking dogs in shelters, too...

I like the personality of the Cavalier King Charles...I used to work at an upscale kennel and I never met a bad tempered one. They are very sweet, laid back dogs...pups are playful but not manic. I wasn't aware of the health issues but I know there are now a lot of King Charles mixes out there...like the Cavachon (a bichon and a king charles)...maybe a mix would have fewer health issues...not sure why grooming would be such a problem. Its not that expensive to get a dog shaved down a few times a year...you don't have to get it groomed to "breed standard" especially if its just a pet.

Another option noone has mentioned it the Brussels Griffon. I have wanted one since I saw the little monkey face in the movie "As Good as it Gets" and finally got one last friday! He is very sweet, happy, playful, and while he is the rough coated version and will need to be trimmed or clipped occasionally, he's pretty low maintainance so far (especially compared to my border collie at his age!). They are companion dogs like the King Charles and are supposed to be 9 to 12 pounds in size...although they can get up to 20 lbs in reality. I wish I knew how to post a picture of my dog.

Good luck with your search!

P.S. I tried to attach a picture...Yea! it worked!

post-7564-1184596960_thumb.jpg

What about a service dog flunk out? They are trained and pre screened for health and temperament problems.

I second the Greyhound idea; any size would work (IG, Whippet, standard G). Even a rescued track dog would be calm and gentle enough for a person with medical issues. The major requirement for them would be a very securely fenced yard (at least 6 ft fencing) so the dog could run off lead.

With respect to smaller dogs, I personally like the mellow personalities of Dachshunds (both short-haired and long-haired), Pembroke and Welsh Corgis, small (13 inch and under) Beagles, and small Greyhounds/derivatives. Many of these are available through shelters and rescues, so cost could be contained. Miniature Schnauzers and Brussels Griffons also seem to be nice dogs.