BC Boards

So Not On

last resort....could he be basket muzzled? I really would be worried that the next choice of food items will be worse for him than those breathing his breath.

Hey!! Everything in my fridge is damn tasty. I don't blame him for busting into it. He'll be fine - he has a good selection of condiments to choose from for augmenting flavour. And I have tried a basket muzzle on him before for a different reason. Not a good idea.

As for you, RDF

1) Lars may have a normal sized head, but the rest of him is a leeetle ... FAT

As for the other two, I got nothing. Those are both true.

RDM

Well, Tundra looked like an inflated balloon of Tundra and was making all kinds of rude balloon noises out both ends for a day or so.

LOL :rolleyes::D

Lars can be trusted not to move his bed(crate) clear across the room overnight as tweed does (whilst inside it)

How the heck does Tweed move the crate while in it?? lol

The first thing I'd do is make darned sure there are after-dinner mints available. If good ol'Red Dog insists on meals that include feta cheese, he is definitely going to need a Mento or two.

Her Royal Highness is about the same age as RD and I can sympathize with the steroid debate. When a dog is pushing 11 I say the benefits will outweigh the risks (but that is just my humble unedjamacated opinion, of course.) I can recall treating many a canine senior during my vet tech days, though, and nearly every owner was blown away by the change in their dogs' appetites. Fridge locks are not unheard of, and I wish you the best of luck! I would congratulate you on having such a brilliantly resourceful hound but I'd be afraid you would send me Tweed as a thank you... :rolleyes::D :D

I had very similiar problems with Pith while he was on anti-seizure medications. He learned to open the fridge, cabinets (just about any kind), trash cans (he learned to step on the paddle to open the top...sneaky boy), sliding closet doors, doors with door knobs, and even the elevated food bowls/storage container where the bowl has to twist in one direction to get to the food. :rolleyes: It turned into a constant battle of trying to stay one step ahead of him in securing things as he was just SO driven to get to anything that even smelled like food.

After he raided the dog medicine cabinet and OD'd on Rimadyl and broke into the closet and had a taste of bleach (yeah...he's been through at least 2 of 9 cat lives now), he went back to being crated when I wasn't home. Unfortunately, he had the same tendencies when I was home, even if I just stepped out of a room for two minutes. Baby locks became my best friends. They make them specifically for refridgerators, and that's the kind I use for my trash can too. Luckily, now that Pith is off the meds, he seems to have "forgotten" how to break into the fridge and doesn't go through doors (though he did lock my petsitter out of the bedroom last year). I just used standard drawer/cabinet latches for the kitchen cabinets, and then a couple different types for a rolling cabinet and the doggie medicine cabinet. Carabiners on some of the dog food containers, etc. You learn to get creative. :D

What I used for the dog medicine cabinet: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5030621

For the life of me, I can't find a listing for the type I use on the trash can and used to use for the fridge. I KNOW I got it at Walmart, but they don't have it on the website. So here's the closest I could find:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...&lpage=none

It's a latch and strap with a piece that you stick to the door (with the strap) and then a piece you stick to the side of the fridge. Then the strap has a latch piece that clicks into the piece on the side of the fridge. You have to depress a little "button" to release it, and I've yet to have a dog figure that one out. *knock on wood*

Sorry to say this, but I would get a huge crate and set it up for him. It will only get worse, and he might start eating stuff that is not edible. Had a friend with a seizure dog on massive steroids for something or another, and he was like unbelievable! He got into something that caused liver failure and died from this steroid induced overeating. (I think he ate 10 pounds of dog food that was in a closet he opened. I would crate him for his own good when you are out. It will also contain any leak peeing to the crate and keep your floors in better shape. I would put a rubber anti fatigue mat in the bottom (with holes, found at office supply?? Home depot?? ) so the pee will go down and he won't have to lay in it. Poor red dog.

A large crate is not an option. First of all, I'm just not going to crate him after almost 11 years of being uncrated. He'd be miserable. Secondly, there is literally nowhere to put a crate in my apartment. I am not kidding about this. I live in a VERY SMALL suite.

He almost never pees when I am not home, it's just at night he can't always seem to hold it, possibly because we go to the beach and swim after work every day; sea water makes them need to pee a bit more often. If he really has to go, he will use the lino in the kitchen because he is a good dog. I also have a potty box on the deck for him and I am in the process of rigging up a way for him to go out there during the day without leaving my home and belongings vulnerable. If that's not an option, I will pay a neighbor to take him out to pee during the day.

He has not broken into the fridge since but as I can secure that it won't be an issue anyway. The garbage is out of reach. The cupboards that are accessible to him contain nothing that a.) can be eaten b.) can be harmful, unless he can eat pots and pans. We do not feed dog food so breaking into the dog food is not an issue.

I leave raw meaty bones down every single day now so he always has something to gnaw on. I am not completely ignorant of his needs or the challenges ahead of us. And I appreciate the advice. But I'm not putting my senior dog in a box for 9 hours a day. No way, no how. I'd rather quit my job and stay home with him then lock him in a crate in his own urine. I just could never do that to my Red Dog.

RDM

. But I'm not putting my senior dog in a box for 9 hours a day. No way, no how. I'd rather quit my job and stay home with him then lock him in a crate in his own urine. I just could never do that to my Red Dog.

RDM

I agree with you, and i can sympathise with you too. I had a Yorkie whom due to partly old age couldn't go very long before needing a wee. Not as much wee as a BC i know but still i understand. She slept on my bed and on occasion wet herself while asleep. She was not really incontinent , she didn't even wake up until i got her up to change the sheets. She only did this a few odd times though. Anyway she wasn't as good as Red dog she went back to puppyhood really as sometimes she would just go wee wherever she was. Our way of dealing was if we took her out to friends/family keep taking her out to wee like a puppy again. At home we just cleared it up. I would never have crated her, she couldn't hold it, she was older and needed to go more. She would have been unhappy too like Red dog she would have thought it was a punishment. In any case i think it would be rather cruel to crate Red dog and leave the others out, he would feel isolated. Just my opinion though.

I hope he feels better soon.

At least if he goes on hard floor it's easy to clean up and then you know he hasn't held it all day. Not pleasant i know but hey we love em and do anything for em.

eta - with Tammy for her last few years with us she would want to wee numerous times during the night, she slept with us so we took it in turns to get up and let her out. So i really do get the can't go all night without going.

eta again - I didn't read all replies on this so sorry if i have repeated anything anyone else has already put.

In the ongoing saga of "What Red Dog Can Eat While On Steroids" I bring you the next installment ... titled:

Red Dog Ate My Fire Shrimp!

A fire shrimp, for those of you who do not keep salt water tanks like me, is a little expensive red shrimp that looks like this:

fire040307a.jpg

I love my fire shrimp. He eats -make that, ate - out of my hand. He cost me $25.00.

Lately fire shrimp had been pulling a Christopher Columbus and making attempts to explore the world outside of my fish tank. I do believe he succeeded because two days ago he vanished.

Yesterday, there was a small red shell-like object in RD's, umm, poop. The damn dog ATE MY FIRE SHRIMP!!!

GAH!!

RDM

LMAO

ahem, sorry about your loss

In the ongoing saga of "What Red Dog Can Eat While On Steroids" I bring you the next installment ... titled:

Red Dog Ate My Fire Shrimp!

A fire shrimp, for those of you who do not keep salt water tanks like me, is a little expensive red shrimp that looks like this:

fire040307a.jpg

I love my fire shrimp. He eats -make that, ate - out of my hand. He cost me $25.00.

Lately fire shrimp had been pulling a Christopher Columbus and making attempts to explore the world outside of my fish tank. I do believe he succeeded because two days ago he vanished.

Yesterday, there was a small red shell-like object in RD's, umm, poop. The damn dog ATE MY FIRE SHRIMP!!!

GAH!!

RDM

:rolleyes::D:D:D:D

Sorry for the laughter but you shouldn't be so talented in telling the saga. I assure you it is the descriptions I'm laughing at, not the situation. Having a senior dog who is taking some steriods and had to forage for herself I sympathize. Lady will vacumm up every bit of poop on the properity that has basked in the sun at least 2 days, and sometimes I have to count fingers (she's getting better about this). She was infatuated with RD before but since discovering what a provider he is, she's now head over heels :D

Please make sure the orange salmon is out of reach of Hungry Red Dog. :rolleyes:

Yeah, really. :D

Rest in peace, shrimp. Really, though, it's his own fault. Fire shrimp should know to stay in their tank (vague Dave Matthews reference).