BC Boards

totally irrational

Scroll to Cinny, the fourth puppy down.

http://www.glenhighlandfarm.com/dogsavailable.htm

cinnylay.jpg

Her face! Her eyes! Her expression! She looks just like Solo.

I have never wanted a dog so badly just by looking at a picture. Not even Bean. I am ready to jump into my car and drive 2879 miles (yes, I did just Google map it) and beg Lillie to adopt this dog to me.

What do I do now? (Other than sit on my hands.)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You get in touch with Lillie, that's what you do! (yes, I'm an enabler)

ETA: Just went to GHF website to read about her. Wow. Just wow.

ETA, again: You know, someone I know from another board went to GHF today to adopt a dog. I will hope for your sake, Melanie, that she didn't end up with Cinny...you know, just in case...

Awwwww just had another look, what a lot of beautiful bc's there are there. Some have had horrible pasts. I hope they all get the good homes they deserve now. Looks like a really good rehoming center that. I hate the way some are given in though as owners couldn't handle them. That makes me mad :rolleyes: - did they not research into what they were getting - a BC!!

Awwwww just had another look, what a lot of beautiful bc's there are there. Some have had horrible pasts. I hope they all get the good homes they deserve now. Looks like a really good rehoming center that. I hate the way some are given in though as owners couldn't handle them. That makes me mad :rolleyes: - did they not research into what they were getting - a BC!!

I don't like that they didn't research what they were getting into, but I do credit the folks who realize they have a mismatch and relinquish them to Glen Highland Farm.

I adopted Dean Dog from there and I can see how he would be a nightmare for a family who just wanted a companion pet. To me, he's a dream dog. I'm grateful that his former owners recognized their mistake and made the effort and paid the money to get him to safe place where he would have a chance at a great second chance instead of dumping him somewhere or something, as so many do.

Melanie - I don't blame you for wanting that pup! She caught my eye, too, and I thought that if I saw one like her several years from now, I doubt I would be able to resist.

I don't like that they didn't research what they were getting into, but I do credit the folks who realize they have a mismatch and relinquish them to Glen Highland Farm.

I adopted Dean Dog from there and I can see how he would be a nightmare for a family who just wanted a companion pet. To me, he's a dream dog. I'm grateful that his former owners recognized their mistake and made the effort and paid the money to get him to safe place where he would have a chance at a great second chance instead of dumping him somewhere or something, as so many do.

I had never seen the Glen Highland Farm before, it does look a really good place though. I wish there were more places like that about especially in the US as i have learned this week unfortunately that it has so many dogs needing homes.

I do agree with you totally that yes it is better to give a dog to a home if you can not cope rather than dumping or worse. I just get cross when people pick a breed that clearly is not going to fit in with them. Like the BC would be no good for someone who never goes out or wants a lap dog. I think though a lot of people just get fed up with them and can't be bothered with them then sometimes use any excuse to justify getting rid of them. It breaks my heart to think that people think like that.

Having said that i also think that as every dog is different and you don't know what it will be like until you get it. Sometimes for a lot of different reasons it just won't work with your family set up but another set would perhaps be great. Therefore that is best for the dog to go to somewhere like your Highland Farm. Dean Dog sounds fab and i am glad you have him, he obviously has a great home now with your pack. :rolleyes:

Her face! Her eyes! Her expression! She looks just like Solo.

I have never wanted a dog so badly just by looking at a picture. Not even Bean. I am ready to jump into my car and drive 2879 miles (yes, I did just Google map it) and beg Lillie to adopt this dog to me.

What do I do now? (Other than sit on my hands.)

Cinny2GS.jpg

What do you do? You drive the heck back there and tell them you're from Virginia. Which is true. (I think.) You get your little red dog (who does look incredibly like Solo. Could they be related?). And then you grab this one for me, and run for it:

buca.jpg

buca2.jpg

Too much white and I'm not a split-face person --- though I love love love other people's split-faces, much the way I love other people's rough-coats --- but the eye does have black around it and her size (35 lb) and her... beautiful sight hound-ness... thud-1.gif

Her name's Buca. Leave this in her kennel and no one will suspect a thing:

border_collie_plush_1.jpg

I'll meet you July 1st in the Denny's parking lot, Buttonwillow, 1900 hours. Drive safe thumbsup.gif

There's a conspiracy afoot to empty GHF's kennels. Lucky for you, Melanie, I think they probably are aware that you are in CA now? Or maybe not. :rolleyes:

There's a very good chance they are related. There's still a lot of Shearer/Shaffner blood around and those dogs, mixed with certain other very common lines (with lots of red) have That Look. Patrick's new dog Gus goes back to some Shearer/Shaffner and has half of That Look. The tool user part, without the deep thinker part. Gus is more of an engineer than a philosopher.

Melanie, I can tell you from experience -- where there is a will, there is a way . . . . :rolleyes:

Rusty came to me from a thousand miles away . . . and I had to arrange things several different ways until it worked out.

Seriously though, she is an absolutely gorgeous pup and she does look like Solo. Luisa, that dog is really beautiful!!

I like looking at dogs on the GHF site as much as the next person does, but one thing I've always wondered is whether GHF knows the first thing about herding. Does anyone who has experience with GHF know? When they say that Cinny "herds already", are they talking about chasing other dogs or are there sheep around there someplace?

I am really curious. I just wonder why you want a dog that looks so much like Solo. You love that dog sooooooooo much. I can't imagine wanting to have a dog that looked like or reminded me of Dylan. I am hoping my next dog is a female and a completely different colour/coat to my boy :rolleyes: . I don't think I could bear anything similar - especially if I think of him "leaving me". I am sure that any BC would remind me of Dylan, but the pain would be less that way. I hope you get that pup if you want her - I really do. You are very strong ! ( But we all know that ! ) Hope it was ok to post this - it is just what I thought. Best wishes.

I suppose all I can do is ask. Then she says no, and saves me from myself.

My advice - let her know some info about yourself and the work you have done with Solo and ask!! You never know!!

I think it may work out. If I were you I would provide links to all of your writings. They say a lot about you and much about what you are capable of. Also, tell her about your work, etc.

The worst is that she will say no, then you know this was not your puppy. If it works, it was meant to happen!

I like looking at dogs on the GHF site as much as the next person does, but one thing I've always wondered is whether GHF knows the first thing about herding. Does anyone who has experience with GHF know? When they say that Cinny "herds already", are they talking about chasing other dogs or are there sheep around there someplace?

They mean she chases other dogs. I operate under the assumption that she's never seen sheep. Which makes her on many levels not the dog I'm looking for (third dog should be either a known quantity sheep-wise or a puppy from a working breeding I really like) but like I said, it isn't entirely rational.

Her resemblance to Solo appeals to me because of That Look that Becca was referring to. The talking eyes. It's hard to explain. Solo isn't like any other dog I've ever met. He's deep and complicated and a serious thinker. He uses complete sentences. He has soul. He looks right into me and we understand each other. I know everyone feels this way about their favorite dog but this is something qualitatively different. I'm not in love with Solo only because I put so much work into him. I love him because of what an extraordinary presence he is and whatever that special quality is about him, I know I'll be looking for it again and again in another dog as long as I live.

If there is the slightest possibility that this puppy is a female Solo with a normal temperament, I need to know more about her, I don't care that I have no idea what her breeding is or that she may be the worst sheepdog in the world. I'm probably wrong about her and she just happens to look a whole hell of a lot like Solo and be the same shade of red. I am usually drawn to dogs with light eyes because their expressions are more similar to his and easier for me to read than a really dark eye, so my attraction to this puppy may be entirely based on that. But anyway, I did email and ask. I know Lillie already and had a foster-with-option-to-adopt from her before I got Fly. I didn't keep that dog, obviously, as she and Solo were a bad match, so I wouldn't blame Lillie for saying no about this one given that there's no guarantee she'll fit in here and I'm so far away. I'm probably wrong about her eyes and what they mean anyway.

When my first dog, Harley, died, I could barely even look at other Pomeranians because she was so special, and because they all looked like lame imitations of her, so I can totally see where Zoe's question is coming from and don't take offense at all. Harley was different. She was like a part of me, I guess more like a child, although I don't confuse dogs with children and don't consider them child substitutes, but you can't replace a lost child. Solo is not a part of me, he is my soulmate. You can't repeat that kind of relationship, I know, but most people try.