BC Boards

totally irrational

I'm glad you contacted Lillie. Sometimes things happen for a reason, are just meant to be.

The person I mentioned from another board adopted Scot, so at least I know Cinny didn't come home with her! :rolleyes: Keep us posted, please.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know everyone feels this way about their favorite dog but this is something qualitatively different. I'm not in love with Solo only because I put so much work into him. I love him because of what an extraordinary presence he is and whatever that special quality is about him, I know I'll be looking for it again and again in another dog as long as I live.

<snip>

Solo is not a part of me, he is my soulmate. You can't repeat that kind of relationship, I know, but most people try.

Sometimes you get lucky more than once, though. I think I know what you mean about there being something qualitatively different about "those" dogs, the ones who strike you through the heart with a glance - and you have that kind of relationship with Solo in part because YOU are "that" kind of person, not only because HE is "that" kind of dog. Each relationship with such a creature is, as you say, unique and irreplaceable - and perhaps hard to come by. Still.... it could be that lightning will strike twice. In your case, I'd say it's actually MORE likely to strike twice: the first strike polarizes the ground and makes the second more likely. Chance favors the prepared mind, and if ever there was a prepared mind, yours is it. You are intellectually honest enough that you would not try to "make" a new dog be a replacement Solo (as if there ever could be such a thing). I think you'd look at this dog (if you get her) as her own self, and see what is in her unique being just as well as you see what is in Solo's, without trying to pretend she is something she's not. That seems an excellent place to start.

Personally, I think that not everyone is capable of allowing the full extent of a dog's being to unfurl. My first dog, Merrik, lived with my sister for the first four years of her life. She was well-cared for, fed and housed and played with - but she wasn't FOR my sister. She was for me, and Merrik and I both knew it. Merrik would have been okay if I hadn't managed to coax her out of my sister's hands... but the full extent of who she was would have gone unrecognized, and never been allowed full play. No one would ever have looked - REALLY looked - into her being, and seen her whole soul. She might have been content with another person - but with me, it was different. We illuminated one another. That didn't happen with anyone else, not because it wasn't in HER to do so; it didn't happen because it wasn't in THEM to find it.

I don't know. I think I'd have to pursue it, myself, on the chance that there's more in her eye than a passing resemblance to Solo. If she is of Solo's ilk - one of "those" dogs - I think I'd have to find out, if it were me. Rational or not.

JMO... but I'll be interested to see what happens here. I'd say "good luck" but I don't think you need it. My well-wishes you certainly have.

When my first dog, Harley, died, I could barely even look at other Pomeranians because she was so special, and because they all looked like lame imitations of her, so I can totally see where Zoe's question is coming from and don't take offense at all. Harley was different. She was like a part of me, I guess more like a child, although I don't confuse dogs with children and don't consider them child substitutes, but you can't replace a lost child. Solo is not a part of me, he is my soulmate. You can't repeat that kind of relationship, I know, but most people try.

I know exactly what you mean about the lost child statement. We owned a Yorkie before Holly for 12years, she was like a child to us. Like you though- certainly not a substitute, just the way we felt about her. When she died we were devasted and said that's it we couldn't have another dog ever. It was just too hurtful to lose her.

Anyway we then felt totally lost without a dog, it was so lonely in the house especially coming home without that little tail wagging greeting we were used too. We wanted something totally different as we couldn't think about getting another Yorkie and i doubt i ever will. She was special especially since she was diabetic for 6years and anyone who has a diabetic dog will know how hard it is to keep them healthy.

We decided on the Border Collie as we now have a different set up to 12years ago - much bigger house and garden- therefore could offer something different now to a dog than before.

I wonder wether though it makes a difference if you get two similar looking dogs whilst they are both still alive. Like if you were to get Cinny then she would still be a different character to Solo even though they look so very similar. Therefore if anything happened to Solo then Cinny would already be her own character. That i would think is different to getting another dog who looks like one you have lost.

Good luck with getting her, i hope it works out.

AKdog doc - I enjoyed reading your answer re Merrick. Very well put. :rolleyes:

I know Lillie already and had a foster-with-option-to-adopt from her before I got Fly. I didn't keep that dog, obviously, as she and Solo were a bad match, so I wouldn't blame Lillie for saying no about this one given that there's no guarantee she'll fit in here and I'm so far away.

I think that shows that you were responsible. Smart enough to get out of a situation that wasn't working. That does not make you a bad person. It also shouldn't stop anyone from letting you adopt again. There is no guarantee ANY dog will ever fit in. It is what you do with the dog when that happens that makes you a responsible pet owner. Good luck with your mission. That is a beautiful pup.

I know Lillie already and had a foster-with-option-to-adopt from her before I got Fly. I didn't keep that dog, obviously, as she and Solo were a bad match, so I wouldn't blame Lillie for saying no about this one given that there's no guarantee she'll fit in here and I'm so far away.

I think that shows that you were responsible. Smart enough to get out of a situation that wasn't working. That does not make you a bad person. It also shouldn't stop anyone from letting you adopt again. There is no guarantee ANY dog will ever fit in. It is what you do with the dog when that happens that makes you a responsible pet owner. Good luck with you mission. That is a beautiful pup.

I agree. Also, "foster-with-option-to-adopt" is not a commitment. It's an agreement on both parts that it's a trial period.

I wonder wether though it makes a difference if you get two similar looking dogs whilst they are both still alive. Like if you were to get Cinny then she would still be a different character to Solo even though they look so very similar. Therefore if anything happened to Solo then Cinny would already be her own character. That i would think is different to getting another dog who looks like one you have lost.

That's what I would think.

I see what you mean. She's gorgeous!! :D:D

Pick up Walker for me as well. :D

walkerfront.jpg

And Corrie!

corriesitgd.jpg

And Anne!

annefacenew.jpg

And Budd!

buddface.jpg

Ok, I'll stop now until I make myself crazy looking at these dogs. :D

I know what you mean, they are so beautiful. How did they end up there??. I honestly want one. I can't as Holly's not ready and they are in another country but i really wish i could.

Jester - oh that look in the eyes , what a darling :rolleyes:

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

You've got a foot up if you already know Lillie but if you didn't already know her all I would say is...Good. Luck.

Brock is still waiting to find a home when he could have had one here 6 months ago. Who wants a dog that bites except me? Just be careful, Melanie. She didn't back out on me until I'd bought a plane ticket and reserved a rental car to get Brock home. I will give her that she reimbursed what I spent on the plane ticket, but that doesn't fix the pain I felt knowing the crate, collar, bowl, toys, etc, I'd already bought just for him--because I was told he was coming to live with me--weren't going to be put to use. Again, if you already know you might have a chance. I know what it's like to feel that connection with a dog so I actually hope she will adopt to you. I'd hate for you to go through what I went through with Brock (all BS aside, I feel a connection to that dog like no other...still to this day).

Ah well -- she's not for me -- no adoptions outside of the NE. I don't believe in fate, but I don't have a tendency to rail against stuff I can't do anything about, so that's that.

I do hope she goes somewhere great. Even if she isn't special like Solo, she sounds fantastic.

If someone here gets her, I get to be godmother.

Sadness.

This has been an interesting discussion though, hasn't it?

There IS a puppy in my future. Solo, Fly and I will just have to be patient.

479611319_0b39bf5702.jpg

Melanie - I am so sorry. And thank you for not taking my question the wrong way. I suppose the reason why I asked is because I need to find out something for myself - if that makes sense. It HAS been an interesting discussion. Thank you.

I've always had a thing for Brock, but I have 3 dogs under the age of 5 and a full-time job.

I do some transport volunteering for GHF but I don't really have room for another dog right now. . .

:rolleyes: Oh good i am so glad, at least they get a good place to be whilst waiting for their new home. That is not so sad now looking at the adorable photo's of them all there. It is shame though he couldn't be with your pack. I am suprised he is not already homed but then they are all so nice so i am suprised also they are there in the first place. Looks a happy place though. :D Thanks

One thing Melanie i thought about this thread is there might be lurkers on here that can adopt one from there and so if only one goes there and gets one this has been a very valuable topic.

Maybe you should just temp. move up there, or con someone into letting you have a mailing address there for a week, then "move" back home :rolleyes::D with Brock of course

Ditto for Melanie :D:D:D

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

I seriously thought of relocating to within 8 hrs of the farm just so I could adopt him. Unfortunately, I can't really just up and move overnight. I would if I could, though. Brock has a few issues that really put him on the verge of being unadoptable. I can understand why Lillie would be uncomfortable adopting him specifically so far away knowing it may not work out (I would make it) but the hardest part was being approved and actually setting travel plans (with Lillie's backing) and then being told it's not going to happen. This happened over a period of about 4-5 weeks so it was no overnight thing. Lillie had plenty of time to change her mind between the time I applied and the time I scheduled a flight. I still can't comprehend why it happened the way it did. But, there's not much I can do about it now, I suppose.

the hardest part was being approved and actually setting travel plans (with Lillie's backing) and then being told it's not going to happen. This happened over a period of about 4-5 weeks so it was no overnight thing. Lillie had plenty of time to change her mind between the time I applied and the time I scheduled a flight. I still can't comprehend why it happened the way it did. But, there's not much I can do about it now, I suppose.

That is unfair as it seems you would have made a great home for him. I obviously don't know them there but that sounds pretty bad as they should have decided that before 4 - 5 weeks. You must have felt really bad when they decided no after saying yes.

I suppose if you had of had him you may not have gotten Vero thought, hard one that.