BC Boards

totally irrational

:rolleyes: Oh good i am so glad, at least they get a good place to be whilst waiting for their new home. That is not so sad now looking at the adorable photo's of them all there.

It's an amazing rescue. They converted the horse stalls in the basement of the barn into doggie apartments. The ones who are dog social have "roommates" and they are grouped by age and/or temperament. It's air conditioned in the summer and heated in the winter.

They also get time in the paddocks - they are grouped together very deliberately.

There is a trainer who comes up there and works with the dogs sometimes, too. And their medical needs are seen to.

When I transport dogs that are going there, I always feel bad for them because they have no home, especially if they are owner surrenders and are leaving the home that they have known, but I also feel good knowing that they are going to such a great place.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really confused why rescues won't make exceptions. In Brock's case, a fellow reputable BC rescuer wants him for her own. If it didn't work out, I would feel confident that rescuer would either bring him all the way back or find a suitable home. I just don't get it. I think that's one of the things that really frustrates us non-rescuers and we are quick to criticize sometimes. Brock has a home, humans are just in the way. (IMO)

I'd feel more confident adopting a less then bomb-proof BC across the country to a well referenced BC person who says they will return the dog if it doesn't work out then to lovely Joe Smith family across town who seem great, but never had a BC.

But then, I don't do rescue.

I'm really really glad the rescue I got my dog from allowed me the opportunity to travel 6 hrs each way to get Diesel. And I hope they knew that if it didn't work out I would be willing to drive all the way back to return him into their hands again.

(Don't worry, I'm keeping Diesel!)

As a rescuer I actually feel better about someone who is willing to travel long distance or mess with shipping, assuming their references are outstanding, as opposed to Joe Blow across the street adopting his first Border Collie. I do, of course, refer such people to local rescue first but in many cases they've already been working locally for a while.

Nothing against Joe Blow - many of us have been Joe Blow, to begin with, for sure. But to me it's more of a risk than adopting to someone who is going to great lengths to bring their new dog into their family.

However, every rescuer has their list of things that make them all queasy inside. That's the perogative of someone running a rescue, especially one as extensive as GHF God knows they can rescue more dogs in a week than I can in a year. :rolleyes:

It's an amazing rescue. They converted the horse stalls in the basement of the barn into doggie apartments. The ones who are dog social have "roommates" and they are grouped by age and/or temperament. It's air conditioned in the summer and heated in the winter.

They also get time in the paddocks - they are grouped together very deliberately.

There is a trainer who comes up there and works with the dogs sometimes, too. And their medical needs are seen to.

When I transport dogs that are going there, I always feel bad for them because they have no home, especially if they are owner surrenders and are leaving the home that they have known, but I also feel good knowing that they are going to such a great place.

Yeah,that sounds nice. I so wish there were more of those places around. :D

I am learning a lot more on here about different set ups for dogs in other countries, some very bad, some very good like this place. :rolleyes:

Guest TheRuffMuttGang
Brock has a home, humans are just in the way. (IMO)

Thank you. The invitation's still there and I periodically drop Lillie an email to keep telling her..."if you ever change your mind"...I haven't given up yet!

Lillie didn't want Brock to fly on a plane and the drive from TX is 24 hrs one way. We were to meet less than halfway for her (somewhere in TN). She would drive him to TN (or wherever it was we had decided) and I would fly into that airport and then drive him home the rest of the way. Let me tell you how thrilled I was to have to drive 16 hrs back home in one day, but I was (and still am) willing to do it.

Perhaps a volunteer transport could be set up?

Thank you. The invitation's still there and I periodically drop Lillie an email to keep telling her..."if you ever change your mind"...I haven't given up yet!

Lillie didn't want Brock to fly on a plane and the drive from TX is 24 hrs one way. We were to meet less than halfway for her (somewhere in TN). She would drive him to TN (or wherever it was we had decided) and I would fly into that airport and then drive him home the rest of the way. Let me tell you how thrilled I was to have to drive 16 hrs back home in one day, but I was (and still am) willing to do it.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

No, Lillie didn't want him being passed off from person to person which was why we decided to just meet somewhere in the middle. I was willing to go all the way up to the farm but wasn't thrilled about driving 24hrs back home. I figured that would be just as stressful as flying him to me. But either way, it doesn't matter now because she's not sending him here.

I'm really confused why rescues won't make exceptions. In Brock's case, a fellow reputable BC rescuer wants him for her own. If it didn't work out, I would feel confident that rescuer would either bring him all the way back or find a suitable home. I just don't get it. I think that's one of the things that really frustrates us non-rescuers and we are quick to criticize sometimes. Brock has a home, humans are just in the way. (IMO)

Well if only that were true. I've a girlfriend involved with an all breed rescue in California ... they adopted a bull terrier to a "fellow rescuer" in another state and less than a month later he was up on petfinder available for adoption through the new rescue. So much for faith in other rescuers! Rescuers are people too ... some are trustworthy and reliable, and some are not. So being another rescuer in and of itself is no guarantee of anything.

And with regard to exceptions - speaking for myself, sometimes I make them, sometimes I don't. I have rarely made exceptions to the sight unseen rule and will rarely do it again. The problem is everyone thinks their case is worthy of the exception!

RDM

Guest TheRuffMuttGang
Well if only that were true. I've a girlfriend involved with an all breed rescue in California ... they adopted a bull terrier to a "fellow rescuer" in another state and less than a month later he was up on petfinder available for adoption through the new rescue. So much for faith in other rescuers! Rescuers are people too ... some are trustworthy and reliable, and some are not. So being another rescuer in and of itself is no guarantee of anything.

And with regard to exceptions - speaking for myself, sometimes I make them, sometimes I don't. I have rarely made exceptions to the sight unseen rule and will rarely do it again. The problem is everyone thinks their case is worthy of the exception!

RDM

You're exactly right. In fact, in my case I never asked for an exception. I was not ever made aware of Lillies "8 hr policy" until after she changed her mind. THEN she told me she'd never made an exception to her rule (I'm thinking "What rule? You never mentioned a rule until now") and she didn't feel comfortable doing so. If I'd known of her policy, I would have never even bothered.

I had more than a basement apartment in a residential development I'd take him and send you photo updates. He's always been the one to catch my eye, but I'm young, don't have a big property, don't make tons of money (and spend what I do on the dogs I have already!), and I work full time.

But I feel better knowing at least he's at a nice rescue that won't ditch him if he doesn't get homed.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang
I'm young, don't have a big property, don't make tons of money (and spend what I do on the dogs I have already!), and I work full time.

Ditto and I still manage all of my dogs!

Wow Melanie!! I saw that pic and thought OMGosh she looks JUST LIKE ROZ - - ear set and all!!!

I would think your credentials would speak volumes and they might make an exception - - she is gorgeous!!!

( a quick lil video of Roz to show you the amazing resemblance - - about halfway thru I was able to slow her down to get a good pic of her - sry for the poor photography skills but 10 month old border - - holding the cam myself and playing 'roll the ball to mama' didn't jive well - - :rolleyes: )

http://www.dropshots.com/day.php?userid=26...mp;ctime=124540

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

Rosanne, if I can fit all 8 of mine in a 2-door Honda Civic, I just betcha you could fit more into whatever you drive! :rolleyes:

Rosanne, if I can fit all 8 of mine in a 2-door Honda Civic, I just betcha you could fit more into whatever you drive! :D

:rolleyes:

Wow!

Well 1 of mine gets drooly and occasionally carsick, 1 squeals/circles/tries to chase the cars, and 1 will just lock on staring out the windows at *stuff* and will pant the whole trip if he can see.

So mine are generally crated 100% of the time in the car, where they can't see out the windows. I also know several people who've gotten in accidents and had loose dogs. Not that crates are a guarantee in that situation, but they could help.

Actually I do have a Civic, but generally use the bf's Element for dogs. Yeah, I suppose I *could* squeeze another 2 or 3 in there if I somehow stacked crates or smooshed them in crates together. . .

One time I fit 7 PEOPLE in a 2-door Pontiac Sunbird, but them's was high-school days and I didn't really ever plan on doing stuff like that again :D

One time I fit 7 PEOPLE in a 2-door Pontiac Sunbird, but them's was high-school days and I didn't really ever plan on doing stuff like that again :rolleyes:

Hey! I had a two-door Pontiac Sunbird in high school also! And regularly fit waaaaaaaay too many people in it. I don't really know why, but I LOVED that car. However, the world is a safer place now that those days are over :D

Too funny Laurae!

Mine was a '94.

Had many, many problems and ended up dead in '01 with about 130K miles on the clock. I do NOT miss it. It was reasonably fun to drive, but everything kept breaking and I went through waaay too many gallons of coolant, hoses, and all sorts of things. Even managed to weld a spark plug to a cylinder head. Even the mechanics couldn't explain that one! It ran on 3 cylinders till it was warmed up and a crack somewhere expanded enough for the 4th to start running. Hilarious.

Now I drive Hondas :rolleyes:

Oh, yeah, mine was a POC also. Always in the shop for one oddball reason or another. Also, the passenger-side door handle was permanently broken, so you could only get in on the driver side and slide across. It finally died, stranding me on I-95 in the South Bronx. Good times.

I drive a Toyota pickup now...

I have a Pontiac now, but that's only because the price was right. I would never have chosen a Pontiac.

The head gasket and manifold intake gaskets had to be replaced shortly after I bought it, but it was under warranty so it cost me nothing. Other than that, knock wood, it's been perfect.

RDM

Wow Melanie!! I saw that pic and thought OMGosh she looks JUST LIKE ROZ - - ear set and all!!!

I would think your credentials would speak volumes and they might make an exception - - she is gorgeous!!!

( a quick lil video of Roz to show you the amazing resemblance - - about halfway thru I was able to slow her down to get a good pic of her - sry for the poor photography skills but 10 month old border - - holding the cam myself and playing 'roll the ball to mama' didn't jive well - - :rolleyes: )

She is adorable. Look at how serious she is. So freaking cute. Solo was like that when he was younger. When he hit four or thereabouts he mellowed WAAAAAAY out and became more of a silent brooding type. If Roz looks like Cinny and Cinny looks like Solo then by the transitive property, Roz looks like Solo. That makes her awesome.