BC Boards

How does a BC who is a BC

Ceana does not like to play with dogs that she did not know as a puppy. She tells them what to do and if they do not approach her scotting on their butts with tails between their legs she lets them know she is in charge. (Even the ones that do this recieve very little patience)... all these thing rein true unless that dog is a BC. She is enraptured with other BCs. She will stop what she is doing and gaze in their direction with a look that can only be described as :D I have seen a BC stop in the middle of play and look up (200 yards away) and the two of them just stare like they are long lost friends. When she approachs other BCs it is with respect (not submissive, but she doesn't tell anyone to scoot). If dogs are close enough to erm...cross polinate... how in the heck does my dog and other BCs know who is BC and who is not? :rolleyes:

Sorry for leaving out the "know" in the title. My fingers often travel with my mind... a few steps a head of what I am attempting to communicate.

I don't know how they know either. I think most BC's are like that, at leas tthe ones I have met here. I did notice that Black Jack does that. He doesn't get along with a lot of dogs but if it's a BC he'll be best friends forever. Maybe they're in a higher club? :rolleyes:

Guest LJS1993
I don't know how they know either. I think most BC's are like that, at leas tthe ones I have met here. I did notice that Black Jack does that. He doesn't get along with a lot of dogs but if it's a BC he'll be best friends forever. Maybe they're in a higher club? :rolleyes:

If you think about it though they must be able to tell their own breed from others.

Imprinting maybe?

I've heard than many stallions prefer to mate with mares of the same colour than their mothers.

Anyway, Chemukh never knew other BCs with me, but her best friends where always dogs that couls stand her level of energy and stamina. Shortleggeds and fatties ones weren't never in her Christmas list.

If you think about it though they must be able to tell their own breed from others.

Oh I think they can tell their breed, I noticed the same with my BC puppy when I brought him home, the dog that he shows the most attention and excitment too in the neighborhood was the neighbors BC! I thought "how does he know?"

Oh I think they can tell their breed, I noticed the same with my BC puppy when I brought him home, the dog that he shows the most attention and excitment too in the neighborhood was the neighbors BC! I thought "how does he know?"

I don't know how they know, but Speedy can definitely tell when he's with another Border Collie.

Not only that, but there are other breeds that he likes a lot - Corgis and Goldens. And then there are breeds that he deplores - like German Shepherds.

I don't know how they know which is which, but some definitely do!

I've seen other breeds that also seem to recognize their own. I knew a Golden who only had problems with other male Goldens. And shelties are notorious breed snobs. My Lhasa who was raised with two shelties seems to think he's "one of them." He regularly embarrasses himself at shows by going up to strange shelties all friendly, saying "Hey, homeys!" Naturally they are completely puzzled. Probably he is throwing some sort of twisted Sheltie vibes despite his very different appearance.

Kinda off topic but along the same vein...I have a red roan mare that cannot stand palominos...she was

the only roan (along with her sire) at a registered palomino breeding barn, was kinda treated like the

ugly duckling by the gold horses. Let any palomino come near her and she pins her ears, even threatens

to bite if they try to pass her too closely... If horses can tell the difference, I know BCs can ( I've seen

it often enough)...certain way of carrying themselves, the body language...

Obviously, Border Collies do not like to associate with those who are their intellectual inferiors. :rolleyes:

For the most part, Annie tends to greet any dog as if it is a long-lost close relative, unless it displays some form of aggression when she approaches.

Also slightly off topic: cows can tell their breed, too---I grew up on a farm, and towards the end we had three breed of cows that we raising. Some neighboring farms specialized in one breed--and do you know, each of our cows would moo in the direction of the farm that had their breed on it. And cows are not the sharpest tools in the shed!

Obviously, Border Collies do not like to associate with those who are their intellectual inferiors. :rolleyes:

For the most part, Annie tends to greet any dog as if it is a long-lost close relative, unless it displays some form of aggression when she approaches.

With Hailey, i thought it was a size and disposition thing. She tends to like most Aussies and BC's--unless its overly eager to play or is working her hard. Her favorite friend has turned out to be a very friendly Weimeraner, whose dimensions are twice her's, but fairly submissive. I've found that if the dog is her size or smaller, she'll engage, otherwise, she is likely not to.

I guess Clovers the Odd ball... she HATES Aussies...and has never met another border collie other than her little siblings (who she's getting better with but was really nasty with in the beginning)...

Her BFFs are 1) my trainer's Red Doberman, 2) my parent's Big dopey Black lab (she has issues with chocolate labs a lot though) 3) the neighbor's husky/something mix 4) 2 different neighbors weiner dogs and of course Pepper, our mix that we had when we got Clover as a puppy...she's her all time favorite dog in the whole world.

I really wanted to take Clover to the NC Picnic to see how she'd do with other BCs but I was afraid of embarrasing myself if she was just horrible.

On a positive note, Zeus and Zena (her little siblings) love EVERYONE (dogs and cats and people alike) and of course Pepper has always loved everyone which is why it was such a shock when Clover turned out to be a complete jerk to lots of other dogs...I've never had an animal like that before.

That is a weird thing, as I've seen it in my IGs. Sierra is a little standoffish until she gets to know a dog, but if it's an IG, she's in love immediately. I wish I knew what it was that triggers this intriguing behavior.

Y'all didn't know about the secret Border Collie handshake?

No, I didn't know about it. I want to see it!!!!

Guest LJS1993
No, I didn't know about it. I want to see it!!!!

I don't know about the handshake but there is the secret code:

"Bow rrrr uuuuuuuu"

"Bow rrr uuuuuuuuu"

"Toooo yourrrrrrrrrr own beeeeeeee trueeeeeeeee"

"Bow rrr uuuuuuuuu"

I definitely think it's looks.

My dog loves: huskies (despite the fact that they all want to play humpies), border collies, aussies, and for some strange reason, Brittany spaniels. Having grown up a street dog in Puerto Rico, he also seems to love small, chihuahua-looking creatures.

He hates until he knows: Tall dogs, bulldogs, boxers, and small shih-tzu looking dogs.

Used to hate but has learned to tolerate labradors. (Labradors seem to be the official breed of suburban Massachusetts, so we meet at least 4 a day.)

Then there's the random, occasional dog that Buddy simply LOVES the first time he meets. That love at first sight thing I can't explain, except maybe they remind him of his littermates? Friends from Puerto Rico? Who knows!

Mary

the other day I was at the gas station and, parked at the pump next to mine, was a van with a female border collie in it. She stared at Lance for 15 minutes without blinking (do dogs blink really?, I dont know). She was absolutely hypnotised. Lance ignored her the whole time. He was busy looking at all the people and trying to jump out the window. When we were about to leave the woman who owned the dog came out and I talked to her a little and her dog ignored me completely. When we pull away from the pump her BC started barking while looking at Lance. it was strange. I wonder what she was thinking.

Guest LJS1993
the other day I was at the gas station and, parked at the pump next to mine, was a van with a female border collie in it. She stared at Lance for 15 minutes without blinking (do dogs blink really?, I dont know). She was absolutely hypnotised. Lance ignored her the whole time. He was busy looking at all the people and trying to jump out the window. When we were about to leave the woman who owned the dog came out and I talked to her a little and her dog ignored me completely. When we pull away from the pump her BC started barking while looking at Lance. it was strange. I wonder what she was thinking.

Sounds like Lance just blew a great opportunity for some love.

We met another BC on a hike and Ceana did the same thing. We even drove back down the "mountain" (compared to Colorado they are just hills) behind the car with the other BC and Ceana was craning her next just to keep him in view. LOL maybe she needs a boyfriend.

I think Black Jack could use a girl friend. He seems to like female BC's a lot.