BC Boards

The end is here

I'm crying as I write this but I'm pretty certain that I'm going to have to find a more suitable home for Bindi. It's not working and it is causing major problems with my marriage and family. Long story short - she went after my son this weekend and scratched him up all over his back and neck when I wasn't home and this morning she bit him. She didn't do it aggressively or defensively but she did it.

Can you guys help me find someone to take her or recommend someone who can? I don't know where else to turn right now and honestly, I'm not thinking too clearly.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry to hear of this turn of events! Are you familiar with the Border Collie Rescue board? If not, I encourage you to check it out, as it contains a wealth of information and contacts that you can draw upon in potentially rehoming Bindi. Best of luck as you navigate this difficult situation for you and your family.

Please contact the BC rescue in Seattle: http://www.pnwbcrescue.org/

There are also several members of this forum that live in the Seattle area and perhaps they can take Bindi right away while she awaits foster care.

It sounds like Bindi's best chances are in foster care where she can have someone work on her issues, rather then a humane society where they don't have time to reshape her.

I'm really sorry to hear this, and agree your best option is the local rescue. Good luck,

Anna

Guest LJS1993
I'm crying as I write this but I'm pretty certain that I'm going to have to find a more suitable home for Bindi. It's not working and it is causing major problems with my marriage and family. Long story short - she went after my son this weekend and scratched him up all over his back and neck when I wasn't home and this morning she bit him. She didn't do it aggressively or defensively but she did it.

Can you guys help me find someone to take her or recommend someone who can? I don't know where else to turn right now and honestly, I'm not thinking too clearly.

Well hope she finds a home that can handle Bindi.

That's to bad for Bindi. Could she have bit him on accident? I know Black Jack has caught my hand before on accident when I'm playing with him even though he didn't mean it, and felt bad about it. Puppies can be pretty mouthy. But if you can't handle her anymore I think a rescue group would be able to rehome her to someone that can work with her. If I was closer to you I would try to take her. Best wishes to you and Bindi.

Thanks for the info and support.

That's to bad for Bindi. Could she have bit him on accident?

Yes, she did bite him on accident. She is not aggressive or mean at all. She just loves everyone and is puppy obnoxious. I know and understand that - my husband doesn't. He says he can't trust her and he doesn't want people to be afraid to come to our house because of the dog. I can understand and respect that but I'm not onboard with rehoming. I just don't know if I can do it but he says she has to go.

Mr. Snappy & Raising River - I had talked with Bob in Port Orchard before we got Bindi about rescuing one of his dogs. My friend has 2 of his and speaks so highly of him. I talked with her today and we are going to take Bindi out to visit him and see if he can help give me some ideas to help me with her. It's my last ditch effort so to speak.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

Yes, she did bite him on accident. She is not aggressive or mean at all. She just loves everyone and is puppy obnoxious. I know and understand that - my husband doesn't. He says he can't trust her and he doesn't want people to be afraid to come to our house because of the dog. I can understand and respect that but I'm not onboard with rehoming. I just don't know if I can do it but he says she has to go.

Mr. Snappy & Raising River - I had talked with Bob in Port Orchard before we got Bindi about rescuing one of his dogs. My friend has 2 of his and speaks so highly of him. I talked with her today and we are going to take Bindi out to visit him and see if he can help give me some ideas to help me with her. It's my last ditch effort so to speak.

perhaps if your husband HELPED you on this...it wouldnt be a problem. How can he expect a model kanine citizen when he refuses to put forth any effort on shaping said citizen?

Guest LJS1993

You know it really seems like your family just isn't suited for a dog like a BC. I'm not a super expert, however I do know that these dogs are super intelligent and require a lot of patience and cooperation. It sounds to me like you are fighting an uphill battle in this situation. These dogs, like most puppies, nip a little and like to jump and paw at you. Is it proper behavior? No, but it takes time to train a little pup. There is no magical solution or trainer that is going to mysteriously make this dog fit with your family. You stated in the past how hard it was for you to spend time with this dog, in addition with the lack of cooperation at home. Bindi needs tons of attention and patience. Face it, a puppy BC isn't going to be a proper little dog for house guests until she becomes mature.

Bob's not in town, Bindi's Mom. He is halfway across the country.

Either way, I hope it works out for you.

RDM

So let me get this straight, Bindi bit your son on accident, and your husband KNOWS this and still says he can't trust the dog?! Man that makes my blood boil the way some people give up so easily. It almost sounds like he is just looking for any excuse to give up on Bindi. Is that possible?

I hope that you told him that she was acting appropriately for a dog her age. What she has to learn is how to act appropriatly enough to intereact humans properly. Dogs just don't KNOW this. They have to learn. Which means they have to be taught.

How does he expect the dog to learn how to act as seen "appropriatly" by a human if he isn't willing to help put forth any effort and time helping her learn??? This seems very unfair and I hope that you told him so.

I am sorry if I sound mad, (I'm not at you) but it really is easily fixable- IF the WHOLE family wants to get on board and and put in the effort.

I'm so sorry to hear this! I thought things had been going better. It must be so hard for you.

Is there any way your husband could be convinced to better respect the fact that Bindi is a puppy and is learning? It sounds like he really just isn't a puppy person and is really pushing to be rid of her for every one of her mishaps. How is your son taking it? Is he afraid of her? Had he done anything that made it harder for her to restrain herself?

If you really can't keep her, it sounds like rescue is the best way to go.

I totally understand your situation as I have a hubbie that is not dog savvy - but allows me to have MY dogs. In return, I do my very best to train my dogs so they don't 'annoy' him with any of their antics, etc. I have the skillset to do this with certain temperaments of dogs, like the ones I have now.

The best interest of the dog is at stake here. If your husband hates the dog, he does. If he doesn't trust the dog, he doesn't. If your husband is neither willing or interested in training the dog, then he's not.

I love dogs and I wish people wouldn't give up on their dogs so easily as they do. However, in your case, YOU have not given up but your family will not or cannot support you. You HAVE tried. You came here to seek advice and then you applied the advice. It ended up not being as successful as you needed it. It is obvious to me that this is NOT the dog for your family. A more appropriate dog would not be puppy, but one with already good manners - perhaps a 2 yo and also NOT a BC.

Bindi would be better served by a person or family that can correctly and cooperatively train and exercise her. That is the best thing for her in my opinion.

I am in the camp that human relationships (ie. hubbie & wife) are MORE important then a dog that comes between them. And frankly, the dog will not only cause stress on the relationship but your hubbie will hate the dog more and resentment towards you because it will appear you are choosing the dog over him and your son. Bad scenario.

My hubbie accuses me at times that I love the dogs more then him and our kids. It's a different kind of love and I really appreciate that my dogs do not talk back to me. All the same, he just doesn't 'get it'.

The longer you wait, the more bad habits/situations Bindi will have. AND your family.

I feel for you I really do, just yesterday I was so frustrated with Mac ( 5 months) that I was almost in tears. I adore him but he is work. Most of the time I am ok with that but sometimes it gets overwhelming.

He's getting to that age were I feel like he's acting out a little.He's mouthy and he jumps on me and nips every once in a while . He reminds me of our 13 yr old son. My dh did not want a 3rd dog he let that be known and kinda said ok this one is on you. Yesterday though mac was in rare form and we sat down and talked about where we all had been dropping the ball so to speak with him. We agreed that we all love him and want him as part of our family and that now we all needed to be involved. Just like in raising a child sometimes you just need a little back up! I am spot on on with training sit,down,stay,come. But with general manners I was not getting very far but dh he gets lots of respect from all the dogs so he agreed he needs to step up and help. Just having him on board made a huge difference, last night was incredible the shift in behavior was huge and we all just kept saying wow. Having everyone on the same page working for the same goal, to help Mac become the best he can be. Don't give up on Bindi work as hard for her as she will work for you, ask your husband to help, get everone involved.

I wish you the best of luck.

If DH feels the way it appears in your posts about Bindi, IMHO, keeping her is just not an option. No matter how well trained you get her, she will from time to time do something he won't like. They aren't robots! The way I see it, Bindi is who she is and your DH is who he is and never the twain shall meet. Rehoming seems to be the best idea. Or crate train DH for when he gets out of line! :rolleyes: It is hard but you really have a choice, Bindi or DH. And I think that even if you get Bindi settled somewhat, you will always be a nervous wreck wondering if she will do something to upset the apple cart. Find a great home for her, and go buy some gold fish.

I agree that as sad as it is, sounds like Bindi would do better in a different situation. I'm sorry to hear this, but please do your best to find a reputable rescue to take her. If RDM really can take her, you'll find no better place for her to go. Let us know if we can help.

BTW, great post, RaisingRiver. Bindi's Mom, please do take what she says to heart, and hang in there!

I really want to thank you all again for your support. I have a few things to say:

Beth G & Freckles LaLa Mom: DH is being a huge, gigantic @$$ about this and it doesn't bother me that you are calling me out on it. I appreciate your honesty. He didn't want a dog and makes it very clear when Bindi steps out of line. It's annoying and obnoxious...and I tell him that. He has started helping with her the last couple of weeks - taking her on walks, etc. I don't like the way he trains or disciplines her though. He is loud and hard and I know from this board that BC's don't respond well to that.

RaisingRiver: Thank you for your post. I appreciate you recognizing that I have tried with Bindi. I feel so horrible right now and your words have given me a little pick-me-up.

This is where I'm at today. I am having a really hard time giving up on her and committing to the idea of rehoming her. I know in my heart that she is going to be an awesome dog. My boys don't want to give her up, I don't want to give her up, DH does. That being said, I just don't know if the fight is worth it. Maybe I should go with Dixie_Girl and kennel him!

Bindi's Mom let me first say that my heart goes out to you :rolleyes: It's obvious that you love Bindi and want the best for her. The problem is unless your DH does a turn around this is a destructive situation for Bindi. I'm sure you're trying to raise and train her right. Unfortunately the DH is not going along. His harshness will frighten, confuse and frustrate Bindi. She needs consistency not a roller coaster. I'm afraid unless the DH will come around or at least be neutral letting you train Bindi, rehoming may be the best option, and believe me I don't want to say that. You and Bendi will be in our thoughts.

PS she's a beautiful girl.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

I tried talking fiance into letting me drive up to get bindi....no go :rolleyes: Sorry I was an @^%hole... His reaction really makes my blood boil. I wasnt calling YOU but HIM out. I wish you the best of luck in finding a great home for miss bindi. I found freckles on 'PuppyFind.Com' ...just a thought.